Re: Ascii Feature Attribute documentation

  • tomsnewid
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
      I have looked at the information in the help file, but I do not know
      how the information in the ascii file should be written. Is there a
      place where I can see what the ascii files themsevles look like, and
      if there are code numbers for the attributes where can I find those
      codes?

      for example if I would like to designate a hill and I put the
      following in the ascii file <33.03045 -112.8735 label hill> I do not
      see that associated with the point.

      Tom

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
        Tom,

        For attributes to be associated with features, the attributes need to be
        before the coordinate lines. For your example, use:

        NAME=hill
        33.03045 -112.8735

        Other attributes can go on the lines previous to the coordinates. The
        names and interpretations of those attributes are described in the
        online User's Manual. You can also use the File->Export Vector->Export
        Simple ASCII Text File menu command with the attribute option checked to
        generate sample files for reference as to how the attributes should be
        formatted.

        <support@g...> wrote:
        > Jerry,
        >
        > The online User's Manual section covering the Generic ASCII import
        > describes all of the recognized attribute names and how to use
        them. You
        > can get to this from the User's Manual link at
        > http://www.globalmapper.com or by pressing Help on the Generic ASCII
        > Import dialog.
        >
        > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

        > support@g...

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Frank Looper
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
          > For attributes to be associated with features, the attributes need to be
          > before the coordinate lines. For your example, use:
          >
          > NAME=hill
          > 33.03045 -112.8735
          >
          > Other attributes can go on the lines previous to the coordinates. The
          > names and interpretations of those attributes are described in the
          > online User's Manual. You can also use the File->Export Vector->Export
          > Simple ASCII Text File menu command with the attribute option checked to
          > generate sample files for reference as to how the attributes should be
          > formatted.
          >
          > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

          > support@...

          Mike,

          Have you completed the new manual yet?

          Frank

          ---
        • Tom Harvey
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
            Thanks Mike,
            That's a help.  At this point I am using the free version, so I can't do the file export to look at the file structure.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
              Frank,

              I have just updated the user's manual for v5.02. The Digitizer Tool
              documentation has not yet been completed, but I will make it a priority
              to get done in the next couple of days.

              Regards,