Washington Topo Folder

  • kingsport12000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2004
      I wonder if someone could help. I created a folder in the Files
      section, name'd "Wasgington Topo". I put an image file and the
      calibration files in it. The image was org. a Tiff, but I converted
      it to a grey scale ECW, so that I could upload it, other than that,
      everything is as was, when I downloaded them. If you look at the
      image, you will see that it looks tilted to the left a bit, and there
      is a black section at the top. Now my question is "do I have to
      straighten and crop out the black in a photo program,and if I do,
      will the cal. data still work. Or should I just apply the the data,
      to the image as is.
      Thanks George in Canada
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2004
        George,

        Are you using Global Mapper? From your description it doesn't sound like
        it since Global Mapper cannot (yet) convert a TIFF file to an ECW file.

        Regardless of what software you are using, based on your description it
        sounds like the image got reprojected when you exported it to ECW which
        would explain the tilt.

        I wonder if someone could help. I created a folder in the Files
        section, name'd "Wasgington Topo". I put an image file and the
        calibration files in it. The image was org. a Tiff, but I converted
        it to a grey scale ECW, so that I could upload it, other than that,
        everything is as was, when I downloaded them. If you look at the
        image, you will see that it looks tilted to the left a bit, and there
        is a black section at the top. Now my question is "do I have to
        straighten and crop out the black in a photo program,and if I do,
        will the cal. data still work. Or should I just apply the the data,
        to the image as is.
        Thanks George in Canada

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • vrbeasley
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2004
          George, are you using the ECW compressor from ERMapper? If so, I had
          a similar problem with an image (specifically, a topo)that I tried to
          open in GM. I simply don't bother with the compression. If you want
          a smaller file, crop in GM, if you still want to compress it for
          upload, do so after you've done anything you need to do in GM. ECW
          seems to work fine in its own world, but may not always translate
          smoothly.
          duke

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"