RE: [games] RE: [global_mapper] Problem with the attached...

  • Colin Sare-Soar
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9 12:49 PM
      Bob,

      I agree with you.
      I would have thought that the GNU ungzip would have handled it OK.
      I don't have a (PC) copy to hand to test it though.

      Colin

      That
      > made it a problem for me.
      >
      > A dependency on having the precise tool to handle .z so that one can
      get
      > at .e00 should NEVER be required, or a suggested tool should be named
      > that works to permit GM to then open the file and get at the .e00 on
      the
      > inside.
      >
      > RSH
      >
      > ====================
      >
      > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:03:17 +0100, you wrote:
      >

      > >Bob,
      > >I never saw any response about the E00 file.
      > >I managed to extract the file with Powerdesk and GM displayed it
      > >perfectly.
      > >
      > >Colin

      This
      > >> does NOT seem to unpack properly for me. If I pick E00 it fails
      and
      > >if
      > >> I do not it fails, abet for different reasons. [This is the same
      HH47
      > >> referred to below, but not from the nysgis files; rather it is a
      > >> different file from Cornell's separate system.]
      > >>
      > >> I also downloaded a Digital Raster Graphic (2000) file from them,
      > >which
      > >> they say is a GeoTIFF image in UTM format, and had to individually
      set
      > >> each TIFF file's UTM Zone, since Global Mapper NEVER picked Zone 18
      > >for
      > >> any of them. That was a bit of a pain, but manageable once I
      figured
      > >> out what was happening. [I am NOT attaching those files since you
      can
      > >> download them yourself and they are large... 5-20 megs depending on
      > >what
      > >> file covers.]
      > >>
      > >> There is a bit of a problem when I tried to use Autoclip with the
      > >> GeoTIFF files. Global Mapper was clipping far too much from the
      > >images.
      > >> Automatic Contrast adjustments globally are also a problem if you
      are
      > >> working with all of HH47, HH48, GG47 and GG48 from both the sites I
      > >list
      > >> here. some of the individual images end up being way out of line to
      > >the
      > >> others in colour or transparency.
      > >>
      > >> The area covered is the New York City area, where I was born and
      > >raised,
      > >> so HH47 and HH48 and GG47 and GG48 or Central Park, Yonkers,
      Flushing

      http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/quads/usgsdrg.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9 9:08 PM
        Bob,

        Somehow I missed your original message which is why I never replied. I
        must have accidentally deleted it along with the mountain of spam that I
        get every day.

        Global Mapper can't read directly from .Z archives like it can from .gz,
        .tar.gz, and .zip archives. Unfortunately it's not worth the effort to
        support every compression format in use across the internet, so for now
        I'll just support the common ones. I found that WinZip could uncompress
        the .Z file with no trouble.

        As for your trouble with the NY DRGs, the DRGs for which you were asked
        the projection simply aren't GeoTIFF files, which is why you are asked
        for the projection for each file.

        As for the problems with some of the quads not lining up with each
        other, I downloaded them and had no trouble getting them to line up, but
        I am using the v5.09 release. There was a bug in some of the v5.08 betas
        which may have caused the behavior that you were seeing. I'd suggest
        trying again with v5.09 and see if everything works better.

        Regards,

      • rsh@idirect.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9 9:42 PM

          Download and install PopFile. It is FREE and easy to train. Once
          trained, it does a very good job of isolating SPAM, Worms, etc. and of
          identifying material related to Global Mapper, etc. It looks at all of
          the words in a message to determine how to classify it, you can specify
          strings that will always put a message in group A, B or C, and you can
          play other games. If you don't like it, it is easy to remove and throw
          away as well. That is one of the good things about freeware, after all.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9 10:27 PM
            On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:08:00 -0500, you wrote:

            >Bob,

            >As for your trouble with the NY DRGs, the DRGs for which you were asked
            >the projection simply aren't GeoTIFF files, which is why you are asked
            >for the projection for each file.

            Then please tell THEM that they are not GeoTIFF files, because they
            certainly, on their web site, say that they are! :-)

            Regards,

            Bob
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9 10:33 PM
              Bob,

              On closure inspection, it appears that the files are technically GeoTIFF
              files, they just don't contain any projection information. They only
              contain positioning information such as what would be contained in a TFW
              file.