Re: Gridding the grid

  • Jose Getino
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007

      I'm having some problems creating a script file to export a XYZ file
      into a bil/dem file.

      - If I create an triangulated grid form the xyz file, and save the
      workspace to find out the exact sintaxis of the script, it is plenty
      of strange code, just after the EMBED_OVERLAY DATA_SIZE command.

      - I can't directely export the xyz file to BIL/DEM, just as it
      happens with MP files.

      I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don´t know what.

      Thanks

      Jose

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007
        Jose,

        The EMBED_OVERLAY has a UU-encoded stream of data after it that is the
        binary representation of the elevation grid in an internal format.

        Can you try exporting the data to a Global Mapper Grid file? That should
        work once you've created the grid.

        <global_mapper@...> wrote:

        > Jose,
        >

        > You can never grid directly to a BIL/DEM file, you always have to
        create an
        > elevation grid first, then export that. With the script file you
        can in fact
        > only grid directly from ASCII XYZ files and not from other loaded
        vector
        > data, so from a script you would have to load the MP file, then
        export that
        > to a XYZ file with the EXPORT_VECTOR command, then load that back
        in with
        > the IMPORT_ASCII command and grid it, then export it to a gridded
        elevation
        > file using the EXPORT_ELEVATION command.
        >

        > The default grid spacing recommendations come from analyzing the
        data that
        > will be used to create a grid and picking a spacing close to the
        minimum
        > spacing of any input points. One thing that might cause a
        difference is that
        > there is a cap on how large the grid can be to prevent memory
        problems. Once
        > the width or height is greater than 10,000 pixels in size that
        dimension
        > will be limited to 10,000 pixels, thus increasing the sample
        spacing in that
        > direction.
        >

        > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

        > support@...

      • Jose Getino
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007

          I splitted the big mp file into 25 xyz files and was trying to write
          an script to create 25 bil/dem files, as I understood this was
          possible if the sources files were xyz ASCII files.

          So, if I understand you, I can't grid directly from the xyz files
          using an script file, but I have to do it manually, file by file.
          Just as with mp files.

          Is that correct?

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007
            Jose,

            You should be able to grid the data and export it to a new file from a
            script. Just use the IMPORT_ASCII command to import and grid the XYZ data,
            then use the EXPORT_ELEVATION command to export the grid to a new BIL, DEM,
            or whatever file. Then use UNLOAD_ALL to unload the loaded data, then repeat
            for the next XYZ file.

            <global_mapper@...> wrote:

            > Jose,
            >

            > The EMBED_OVERLAY has a UU-encoded stream of data after it that is
            the
            > binary representation of the elevation grid in an internal format.
            >

            > Can you try exporting the data to a Global Mapper Grid file? That
            should
            > work once you've created the grid.

            > support@...

          • Jose Getino
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007

              Thanks for your patient, now I see what I was missing: I was importing
              the xyz file as "POINT, LINE & AREA features".

              So I suppose the point is that importing XYZ data as ELEVATION is a
              shorcut of these two tasks:

              1. Importing as POINT, LINE & AREA
              2. Gridding the data in the Control Center.

              Even it may seem obvious, I was not aware of it and I was trying to
              perform a sort of "Control Center" gridding form inside an script file,
              so my confussion.

              Now the script is working fine and I'm going to start generating the
              elevation files.