Re: Texture / Terrain mismatch...

  • Conor
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hello Bill and Mike,

      I believe I can suggest the correct approach to solving the problem.

      Firstly, I am supposing that exporting DXF_3DFACE became possible after
      G.M Version 6.09 as I cannot see that option. I can export ECEF in *.XYZ
      but cannot visualise it as I have no way to portray that data in 3D. So,
      I am starting out with one assumption........ that the exported DXF-3D
      model is orientated in space exactly as it is on the globe.If this is
      not so, my suggested solution would require a small change.

      If I understand it correctly what you need to do is export the image in
      Orthograhic projection. For this method to work you must make sure that
      the Orthographic projection is centred on -105.1875 Long. and 39.8125
      Lat. BEFORE exporting the image.

      Before you render, the 3D model may first need to be orientated so that
      the point on the model surface, corrosponding to the centre of the
      image, faces upward (as the image will). Rotating to this orientation is
      related directly to the lattitude and longitude of that same point and
      is therefore easy. In your example you would first rotate 105.1875
      degrees in Z then 50.1875 degrees in X. ( I am further assuming that
      ECEF exports are oriented with the X axis passing through 90 deg. west
      and 90 deg. east on the equator).

      If this is not the solution to the problem then it may just be that I
      misunderstood something about it. (I looked for that "Topo2.jpg" file in
      the Files section but did not see it so I am further in the dark).

      If the suggestion did not work, even after we tweak it and if your
      ultimate goal is to render a spherical geometry model in 3D Max then it
      can be solved without exporting in ECEF but it is a little involved. I
      would export it in a 3D format, transform it to ECEF mathematically (I
      developed a program for doing this), orientate it and then convert it to
      3D max.

      Let me know if this was of any help

      Conor

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:global_mapper@yahoogroups.com> , "Global Mapper Support"

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2006
        Hello Mike,

        I've been doing some more work on this and am getting dangerously
        close to something that works. Here's what I'm doing:

        Get a USGS 7.5 Minute Quadrangle from Seamless, in 10 meter elevation
        data, + a few seconds above, below and to the sides.
        Export a USGS 7.5 Minute Quadrangle from GM8 to DXF_3FACE, in ECEF
        coordinates and in a 15 X 15 grid (making 30 second tiles)
        Export a zero-elevation reference plane as above (my 'sealevel' reference)
        Use GM8 to get USGS Urban and DRG data for the same Quadrangle, export
        in GEO and use a 15 X 15 tile.

        In 3DS Max, I import the DXF's, and use the sealevel plane to compute
        a normal for each tile, then I exactly fit the UVWMap to each tile
        (making sure each corner of the bitmap is distorted to exactly match
        the geometry)

        It's coming VERY close. I have placed two images in the Files
        section, the first from GM8, showing an area of interest, (Castle
        Rock) with precise registration. (GM8CastleRock.jpg) I've placed my
        rendering of the same area (TQCastleRock.jpg) in the files area as
        well. It looks like I've got some north-south offset that I simply
        cannot account for, but no seams between tiles, or anything that
        indicates systemic distortion.

        Any advice you can, um, render, would be greatly appreciated.

        - Bill
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2006
          Bill,

          I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around everything going on (plus I'm on vacation in Hawaii, making it harder to concentrate). Is the north-south shift a consistent size everywhere in the world or does it very depending on location? If it's consistent may the data could just be manually shifted to fudge it so that it matches up in the other software?

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 8, 2006
            Hi Mike,

            I've isolated the problem further. When I break up an ECEF DXF export
            using the gridding, I get different dimensions in the complete
            geometry exported. This difference exactly matches the error I'm
            seeing in matching textures to the geometry.

            I have uploaded an image from 3DS Max, (ECEFBug1.jpg) illustrating the
            problem. The black box the quadrangle as 10 meter data exported as a
            single block (nearly killed my machine to do it) The green patch is
            the most south-east block when exporting the quadrangle as a 15 X 15
            grid. The SE corner should exactly match. My exporting script is
            below, and the ONLY change between the exports is the removal of the
            GRID attribute. The NW corner exactly matches (ECEFBug2.jpg), so
            something must be creeping in during the gridding of ECEF. (It's
            about a 150 meter error or so)

            I've also plotted the deviations using my calibrated eyeball (marking
            on the topo where a feature SHOULD be, to where it actually appears in
            the geometry) I've included this as ECEFBug3.gif. It definitely
            shows progressive distortion starting at 0 from the NW edge of the export.

            Any help would be most helpful. :) How's Hawaii?

            - Bill

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
              Bill,

              It doesn't look like the bounding boxes for 3D DXF face files were handled quite right on grid export from scripts. I have (hopefully) fixed this and placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip for you to try. Simply download that file and extract it over your existing installation to give it a try.

              Hawaii is great, we're off to Kauai today. It has been a bit windy and our snorkel trip was canceled because of it, but hopefully we'll get to do some on Kauai between the zip-lines, helicopters, and horseback riding.

              <global_mapper@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around everything going on
              (plus I'm on vacation in Hawaii, making it harder to concentrate). Is
              the north-south shift a consistent size everywhere in the world or
              does it very depending on location? If it's consistent may the data
              could just be manually shifted to fudge it so that it matches up in
              the other software?

              > support@...

            • wmaness_wa
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
                Sorry Mike, No change with the new build. I checked my build (in
                About GM8) and it is the Dec 9 build, and checked my output DXF's,
                which are dated today.

                - Bill

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 9, 2006
                  Bill,

                  Can you run your script without the ECEF generation parameter and send me the southeastern-most grid cell to support@...? I want to compare the coordinates and that is much easier to do in lat/lon than ECEF.

                  <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > It doesn't look like the bounding boxes for 3D DXF face files were
                  handled quite right on grid export from scripts. I have (hopefully)
                  fixed this and placed a new build at
                  http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip for you to try. Simply
                  download that file and extract it over your existing installation to
                  give it a try.

                  > Hawaii is great, we're off to Kauai today. It has been a bit windy
                  and our snorkel trip was canceled because of it, but hopefully we'll
                  get to do some on Kauai between the zip-lines, helicopters, and
                  horseback riding.

                  > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

                  > support@...

                • wmaness_wa
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 10, 2006
                    Hi Mike,

                    Your latest build solved the problem entirely. I'm getting
                    beautifully registered overlays on the ECEF data in 3DS Max. Thanks
                    so much for your efforts, and enjoy the rest of your vacation!

                    - Bill