GM 8.01 beta

  • Juan Manuel Rico
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hello Mike:

      I have installed the new version

      From : global_mapper_setup_v801_beta.exe (31 oct 2006)

      Click Help > About Global Mapper = v 8.00 Build: 29 oct ?????

      When I right-click on the file......OPEN With.....Global Mapper
      ...the program does not obey to me and nothing is opened.....¡¡¡

      ¿ Can you to see it ?

      Best regards

      Juan Manuel Rico

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        Juan,

        We haven’t updated the release number in the v8.01 beta to v8.01 yet. It
        will be updated for the actual release.

        What file are you right-clicking on and saying open with Global Mapper? Are
        you sure that the Global Mapper option in your popup menu is pointing at the
        right place? If you just run Global Mapper with the Start Menu shortcut does
        that work fine?

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006

          I meant to post a message about the "Open with..." functionality not
          working, but I forgot. It seems to me I first noticed it a couple of
          weeks ago, maybe longer. Right clicking on a GeoTIFF file, for
          example, and selecting "Open with -> Global Mapper" does nothing anymore.

          Lance

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
          <global_mapper@...> wrote:

          > Juan,
          >

          > We haven't updated the release number in the v8.01 beta to v8.01 yet. It
          > will be updated for the actual release.
          >

          > What file are you right-clicking on and saying open with Global
          Mapper? Are
          > you sure that the Global Mapper option in your popup menu is
          pointing at the
          > right place? If you just run Global Mapper with the Start Menu
          shortcut does
          > that work fine?

          > support@...

        • lancecrumbliss
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
            For reference,

            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\OpenWithList

            includes "global_mapper8.exe" in the list.

            --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "lancecrumbliss"
            <chuckyboy81070@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            >
            > I meant to post a message about the "Open with..." functionality not
            > working, but I forgot. It seems to me I first noticed it a couple of
            > weeks ago, maybe longer. Right clicking on a GeoTIFF file, for
            > example, and selecting "Open with -> Global Mapper" does nothing
            anymore.

            > Lance
            >

            > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
            > <global_mapper@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Juan,
            > >

            > > We haven't updated the release number in the v8.01 beta to v8.01
            yet. It
            > > will be updated for the actual release.
            > >

            > > What file are you right-clicking on and saying open with Global
            > Mapper? Are
            > > you sure that the Global Mapper option in your popup menu is
            > pointing at the
            > > right place? If you just run Global Mapper with the Start Menu
            > shortcut does
            > > that work fine?
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > >

            > > Mike
            > >
            > > Global Mapper Support
            > >
            > > support@

          • Juan Manuel Rico
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
              Besides all I said before.....
              All the files ...like GMW, GMC and another GM formats...
              when I do double-click on any of these files that normally GM8 would open, they do not open.

              Saludos
              Juan Manuel Rico

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                For the record Mike, I don't have that particular issue. Double
                clicking GMW or GMC files opens them fine in GM.

                --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Manuel Rico" <jmrico@...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Juan/Lance,

                  I’m trying to reproduce what you are seeing and am having some success with
                  some file types. The GMW, GMC, and GMP files all seem to open fine, as do
                  new file types that I double-click on in Explorer and associate with Global
                  Mapper.

                  What does have problems are things like .tif files. I actually had multiple
                  Global Mapper entries on my “Open With” list that I’m unable to get rid of
                  those extra entries for some reason. Running regedit only lists file types
                  up to .com under the registry key that Lance pointed to, but those entries
                  must be in the registry somewhere. It just looks like regedit it truncating
                  the list of extensions that it is reporting “Open With” data for.

                  --- In global_mapper@ <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>
                  wrote:

                  > Besides all I said before.....
                  > All the files ...like GMW, GMC and another GM formats...
                  > when I do double-click on any of these files that normally GM8
                  would open, they do not open.

                  > Saludos
                  > Juan Manuel Rico

                  yahoogroups.com
                  > Click Help > About Global Mapper = v 8.00 Build: 29 oct ?????
                  >
                  > When I right-click on the file......OPEN With.....Global Mapper
                  > ...the program does not obey to me and nothing is opened.....¡¡¡
                  >
                  > ¿ Can you to see it ?
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  >
                  > Juan Manuel Rico

                • lancecrumbliss
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Your

                    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

                    key only goes up to ".com"? That's weird. Mine starts at ".001" and
                    goes all the way to ".zip"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Lance,

                      Well, that is all that regedit is showing. If I export the contents of that
                      key to a .txt file and open it that file goes all of the way up. For some
                      reason regedit is not going that high. I even tried deleting some of the
                      file extensions in regedit to see if there was a limit on the number of
                      entries that showed up but no more appeared. They are there though given
                      what I exported and what is appearing in the ‘Open With’ menu in Explorer
                      for types like .tif. I also tried creating a new .tif entry and I got an
                      error about it already existing. I checked my other computers and they were
                      all fine, going all the way up to Z.

                      In my experimentation with this new problem I’ve found that if I add an
                      association to Global Mapper that it always seems to work, both with Open
                      With and by double-clicking. It is only types that had existing associations
                      that seem to have a problem. I also have some issues with about 4 different
                      versions of Global Mapper installed on my machine, each of which is called
                      ‘Global Mapper’ in the Open With list, which makes it hard to determine
                      which one to use right now.

                      <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                      > Juan/Lance,
                      >

                      > I'm trying to reproduce what you are seeing and am having some
                      success with
                      > some file types. The GMW, GMC, and GMP files all seem to open fine,
                      as do
                      > new file types that I double-click on in Explorer and associate with
                      Global
                      > Mapper.
                      >

                      > What does have problems are things like .tif files. I actually had
                      multiple
                      > Global Mapper entries on my "Open With" list that I'm unable to get
                      rid of
                      > those extra entries for some reason. Running regedit only lists file
                      types
                      > up to .com under the registry key that Lance pointed to, but those
                      entries
                      > must be in the registry somewhere. It just looks like regedit it
                      truncating
                      > the list of extensions that it is reporting "Open With" data for.

                      > support@...

                    • lancecrumbliss
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                        That's so strange. In any case, it looks like this is likely a
                        Windows issue and not a GM one. Our respective IT\Help-Desk
                        departments would probably be the appropriate place for us to turn, IMO.