A customizable mp header section

  • Jose Getino
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Mike

      As you know the [IMG ID] section of a mp file can contain many
      variables. I don't know wheter you keep planning on adding all them
      to the GM's interface, but anyway, I think there would be a solution
      to make this section completely customizable, regardless of how many
      settings you want to implement in the interface in the future.

      This solution would consist in a editable file in the GM directory,
      for example ImgID.txt, that would contain a real [IMG ID] section.
      When exporting to an mp file, GM would read this file and would
      allow the user to change some of the settings trough the interface.
      GM would leave unchanged the unknown settings.

      In this way I will not need the GM interface at all, as I always use
      the same mp's header. Advanced users could change the header file
      according with their needs. Only a real demand of people not wanting
      to edit this file would make you to consider adding more controls to
      the interface. Otherwise, as in my case, they are not necesary at
      all.

      You could keep generating a random value for the ID setting if you
      want, this is not a important issue. The ID setting, as well as
      Name, can be overriden at compiling time with dedicated swtiches of
      the cgpsmapper executable.

      As an example, this is the header I'm using, but any would be valid
      as long as it is editable.

      [IMG ID]
      ID=999999
      Name=MyMap
      Elevation=M
      Preprocess=F
      CodePage=1252
      LblCoding=9
      TreSize=1000
      TreMargin=0.00000
      RgnLimit=1024
      POIIndex=Y
      Copyright=pepin
      DrawPriority=254
      Levels=9
      Level0=24
      Level1=22
      Level2=21
      Level3=20
      Level4=19
      Level5=18
      Level6=15
      Level7=14
      Level8=13
      Zoom0=0
      Zoom1=1
      Zoom2=2
      Zoom3=3
      Zoom4=4
      Zoom5=5
      Zoom6=6
      Zoom7=7
      Zoom8=8
      [END-IMG ID]

      Just for your consideration

      Thanks

      Jose
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        Jose,

        Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good idea for you advanced users. I
        will add it to the todo list for inclusion in a future release.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          Jose,

          I have completed adding a new option to the Polish MP exporter to allow the
          specification of a "template file" to get the [IMG ID] setting from when
          creating new MP file. All settings from the template file will be used
          except the map ID and map name.

          You can download a new build with this new feature from
          http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip . Simply download that file
          and extract the contents over your existing v8.00 installation to give it a
          try.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006

            I just have tested this new feature and it works as expected. Maybe
            you won't need to add more controls for the [IMG ID] in the
            interface, as now everybody can so easily get their favorite
            settings from a template file.

            Just for simplicity, I would like that GM could remember the
            location of the template file, and use it by default. Users using
            several presets -not my case- could keep all the files in the same
            directory, so it will be easy to load the desired template.

            Thanks

            Jose

            --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

          • wa1hmw@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              Mike this is a newcomer to Spatial topography and frankly your inputs on the chat is double Dutch to me . What I do know about the Global Mapper accepting so many formats and also backed up by the Govt. AS a teacher I still have to pay $200 so that I can import the BMP from dlgv PRO otherwise known as Global Mapper. Regards Bill Cridland
              From: "Jose Getino" <jgetino@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                Jose,

                I have updated the template support to remember the folder that the last
                template file was selected from so that it is easier to find the same one
                each time. I also made the template file use and filename settings be
                remembered so that once you are set up to use a template file, it will
                remain set to that template file until you change it.

                I have placed a new build with these changes at

                --- In global_mapper@ <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>
                <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                > Jose,
                >

                > I have completed adding a new option to the Polish MP exporter to
                allow the
                > specification of a "template file" to get the [IMG ID] setting
                from when
                > creating new MP file. All settings from the template file will be
                used
                > except the map ID and map name.
                >

                > You can download a new build with this new feature from
                > http://www.globalma <http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip>
                pper.com/global_mapper8.zip . Simply download
                that file
                > and extract the contents over your existing v8.00 installation to
                give it a
                > try.
                >

                > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

                > support@...

                yahoogroups.com
> [...]
                interface.
                > GM would leave unchanged the unknown settings.
                >
                > In this way I will not need the GM interface at all, as I always
                use
                > the same mp's header. Advanced users could change the header file
                > according with their needs. Only a real demand of people not
                wanting
                > to edit this file would make you to consider adding more controls
                > the interface. Otherwise, as in my case, they are not necesary at
                > all.
                >
                > You could keep generating a random value for the ID setting if you
                > want, this is not a important issue. The ID setting, as well as
                > Name, can be overriden at compiling time with dedicated swtiches
                of
                > the cgpsmapper executable.
                >
                > As an example, this is the header I'm using, but any would be

              • Jose Getino
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2006

                  thanks for this new improvement and sorry for my late reply, I had
                  not chance to conect to internet during this week.

                  There is a little problem with the template file I didn't notice
                  before: elevation unit is always taken as "foot", even if it is set
                  to "meter" in the template file.

                  The involved line is:

                  Elevation=F

                  for feet, and

                  Elevation=M

                  for meters.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2006
                    Jose,

                    I have made the 'Elevation' attribute from template files be used as well
                    (this should really make it everything except map name and ID). I have
                    placed a new build with this change at

                    <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                    > Jose,
                    >

                    > I have updated the template support to remember the folder that
                    the last
                    > template file was selected from so that it is easier to find the
                    same one
                    > each time. I also made the template file use and filename settings
                    be
                    > remembered so that once you are set up to use a template file, it
                    will
                    > remain set to that template file until you change it.
                    >

                    > I have placed a new build with these changes at
                    > http://www.globalma <http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip>
                    pper.com/global_mapper8.zip . Simply download
                    that file
                    > and extract the contents over your existing v8.00 installation to
                    give it a
                    > try.
                    >

                    > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

                    > support@...

                    pper.com/global_mapper8.zip>