Different Units for Contours

  • tom_sheehy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Would it be possible to select units other than Meters or Feet when
      generating contours? I am working with sea surface temperatures,
      with data from NOAA Coastwatch, here is a sample file:

      http://newton.gso.uri.edu/coastwatch/cwatch-web/cgi-bin/export.cgi?
      product=2006_060_1040_n15_er&variable=sst&format=arc

      The .flt file is a stream of 32-bit IEEE floating point values
      containing sea surface temps in Celcius.

      Globalmapper reads in the file with no problems, and can generate
      contours for the different temperature regions, but displays the
      temps as M or Ft instead of C or F for temps.

      I believe this would just be a label change, as there is no
      additional processing required because the data in the FLT file is a
      temperature and not an elevation.

      Thanks,

      -- Tom
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        Tom,

        I'll add an option to the contour generator to turn off adding a unit label
        to the contour label. This should get you at least closer to the results
        that you want. You would still select Meters as the unit, you just wouldn't
        be able to tell in the end result. I'll point you at a new build within a
        day or so with the change.

      • tom_sheehy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          That would be perfect, thanks Mike!

          -- Tom

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
            Tom,

            I have completed adding an option to the contour generation to control
            whether or not unit labels are appended when to elevation labels for the
            contours. There is a new build of Global Mapper 7 with this change at
            http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper7.zip . Simply download that file
            and extract it over your existing v7.03 installation to give it a try.

            Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

          • Tom Sheehy
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006

              WOW! That was fast.

              Got it and it works perfectly.. thanks!

              -- Tom

              >> Message: 1
              >> Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:23:36 -0600
              >> From: "Global Mapper Support" <support@...>
              >> Subject: RE: Different Units for Contours
              >>
              >> Tom,
              >>
              >> I have completed adding an option to the contour generation to control
              >> whether or not unit labels are appended when to elevation labels for the
              >> contours. There is a new build of Global Mapper 7 with this change at
              >> http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper7.zip . Simply download that
              >> file
              >> and extract it over your existing v7.03 installation to give it a try.
              >>
              >> Let me know if you have any problems or questions.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Mike
              >> Global Mapper Support
              >> support@...

            • Rob F
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
                Hello! I am going back and forth from global mapper to 3ds max and terragen, my biggest problem I am having is that, I can open an absolutly perfect DEM in 3ds max but for some reason I cant convert it into a solid, It will and can be converted into a solid in terrigen BUT it only exports obj wich max does not open as an import, Help! I am a newbe to this program so maybee There is a fix I dont know about, I dont want to buy other software, If there is no fix can you (global _mapper) incorperate a 3ds or some kind of accross the board 3d solid configuration or maybe and importation plugin for 3ds max? Much more questions yet to come thanks loads guys.

                Global Mapper Support <support@...> wrote: Tom,

                I have completed adding an option to the contour generation to control
                whether or not unit labels are appended when to elevation labels for the
                contours. There is a new build of Global Mapper 7 with this change at
                http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper7.zip . Simply download that file
                and extract it over your existing v7.03 installation to give it a try.

                Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

                Global mapper Geography of

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
                  We don't have any short-term plans to add 3DS format support to Global
                  Mapper. Would one of the 3D DXF formats or the STL format found under the
                  File->Export Raster and Elevation data menu work for you?

                • Scott Blodgett
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Accutrans 3d by MicroMouse Productions will read stl and output several 3ds
                    file formats. This may be what you need to get from GM to 3DS. SeerBlue