AutoCADD how does one create a scaled one to one path profile/LOS cross section

  • pck9821
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      I am new to globalmapper and am trying to use the path profile/LOS
      tool to create scaled cross sections which I can drag into an AutoCADD
      file for architecture/drawing purposes.

      When I use the path profile tool, the dialog box that appears shows
      the altitude and distance profile in different scales rather than one
      to one. How can I change it to one to one scale?

      How can I incorporate this information into an AutoCADD file?

      Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        Peter,

        While there is not a way to set the scale of the path profile dialog to 1:1,
        what you can do is export an XYZ file from the File menu in the path profile
        dialog. It will contain the XY positions in the current units selected on
        the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog and the Z coordinates in the
        units selected for display in the path profile dialog. If you can then load
        that XYZ text file into AutoCAD it will be to scale if the XY and Z
        coordinate all have the same units.

      • pck9821
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          Mike, Thanks for your help.

          I configured the settings so that the xyz positions where in the
          same units.

          I then created a profile and saved it as an xyz file to my desktop.

          I then renamed it as a dxf and then a dwg file for AutoCadd.
          However it would not open up in AutoCADD.

          Any further suggestions.

          Did I configure wrong? or is there another stage or program needed
          in between the xyz file and the dwg file process?

          Peter

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            Peter,

            You can't just rename the XYZ file to make it a DXF or DWG file, those are
            completely different format. You can import the XYZ file back into Global
            Mapper and then export that to a DXF file. The only problem is that Global
            Mapper doesn't yet export true 3D polylines to DXF files, it can only export
            iso-height polylines (like contours) to DXF files and maintain any elevation
            information.

            Perhaps someone else in the group can recommend an application to convert
            XYZ files to 3D DXF files.

          • pck9821
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Mike thanks, I'll try to import back into global mapper. I'm only
              looking for 2 dimensional cross sections cutting through the earth.

              Thanks for you help.