need to know meters/pixel of selected zoom

  • jvguti
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      Mikel we need to know how meters/pixels has my gm window at a
      determinate zoom because we want to export those layers like we see
      them in that moment, Perhaps dividing the number of zoom to scale menu
      by 1000?.
      If you think that is a good idea, you can present X,Y meters/pixel
      with two decimals in status bar.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        Jorge,

        Dividing the zoom to scale menu option by a fixed number won't do you any
        good unless you also take into account the dpi or your screen, which will
        vary from one monitor to another. The best way to get the meters per pixel
        for the screen is to use the Measure Tool to measure the distance across the
        screen then divide that by the number of pixels across the screen, then
        repeat for the height. You can get the number of pixels by selecting the
        File->Capture Screen to Image menu command and observing the initial pixel
        size there.

      • jvguti
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
          Really that sound very easy for a computer and too time to expend
          for a human, Can you solve it making that gm shows that result into
          status bar?. Think that gm is a tool to make maps so sometimes we
          need a map little than the better we can get.
          Thank you very much.

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
            Jorge,

            I don't want to add this to the status bar since it would take up a lot of
            space and cause a lot of instructional text to be truncated. What I have
            done instead is the add a button to the dialog allowing you to specify
            sample spacing in units other than those of the current projection during
            export. This button will set the x and y spacing in that dialog to the
            current screen pixel size. It seems that since during export is when you
            need this option, this is an appropriate place.

            I have placed a new build of Global Mapper 7 with this change at
            http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper7.zip . Just download that file and
            extract it over your existing v7 installation to give it a try.

            Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

          • jvguti
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
              That's a good place for us, thank you very much.