Icons

  • David Emmith
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 4:26 AM
      Does anyone know where GM's icons are stored? I see a iconv.dll in
      C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6 which leads me to think they're wrapped
      up in the DLL and we can't get to them.

      Dave
    • jvguti
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 7:41 AM
        David,
        Icons that use gm are in ...GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols\

        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, David Emmith <david.emmith@n...>
        wrote:
        > Does anyone know where GM's icons are stored? I see a iconv.dll in
        > C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6 which leads me to think they're
        wrapped
        > up in the DLL and we can't get to them.
        >
        > Dave
      • jvguti
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 8:02 AM
          David, I forgot comment that you must edit file custom_symbols.txt
          and add new ones if you do it externally.
          Inside GM symbols can be added by Configuration, Point Styles and Add
          Symbol... button, then you choose the path where you have your symbols
          and your new one and GM create custom_symbols.txt list automatically
          and add it to appropiate directory.

          Best Regards

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "jvguti" <jvguti@i...> wrote:

          > David,
          > Icons that use gm are in ...GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols\
          >

          > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, David Emmith
          <david.emmith@n...>
          > wrote:
          > > Does anyone know where GM's icons are stored? I see a iconv.dll in
          > > C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6 which leads me to think they're
          > wrapped
          > > up in the DLL and we can't get to them.
          > >
          > > Dave
        • David Emmith
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 8:20 AM
            I should clarify ... I know how to handle custom symbols, I'm talking
            about the icons that are native to Global Mapper. I suspect that there
            is no way to get to them for editing because they may be locked up in
            iconv.dll or some other place.

            Dave

            jvguti wrote:

            > David, I forgot comment that you must edit file custom_symbols.txt
            > and add new ones if you do it externally.
            > Inside GM symbols can be added by Configuration, Point Styles and Add
            > Symbol... button, then you choose the path where you have your symbols
            > and your new one and GM create custom_symbols.txt list automatically
            > and add it to appropiate directory.
            >

            > Best Regards
            >
            > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "jvguti" <jvguti@i...> wrote:
            > >
            > > David,
            > > Icons that use gm are in ...GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols\
            > >

            > > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, David Emmith
            > <david.emmith@n...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Does anyone know where GM's icons are stored? I see a iconv.dll in
            > > > C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6 which leads me to think they're
            > > wrapped
            > > > up in the DLL and we can't get to them.
            > > >
            > > > Dave

          • jim
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1 8:27 AM
              Thank you for the new icons.

              Mike,

              I started adding icons and noticed this effect.

              ----- begin custom symbols.txt ------
              "grntri","1_grntri.ico"
              "redtri","1_redtri.ico"
              "bludia","bludia.ico"
              "bludot","1_bludot.ico"
              "blusqr","1_blusqr.ico"
              ------ end ------------------------

              When I add an icon {grntri.ico} with global mapper, GM copies the file
              to 1_grntri.ico, If I edit the custom symbols.txt file manually, this
              does not happen. {bludia.ico}

              jim
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1 9:12 AM
                Dave,

                The built-in point symbols are built directly into the global_mapper6.exe
                file. There is not a way to edit them. You would have to use custom symbols
                to get anything different than the built-in symbols added.

                jvguti wrote:

                > David, I forgot comment that you must edit file custom_symbols.txt
                > and add new ones if you do it externally.
                > Inside GM symbols can be added by Configuration, Point Styles and Add
                > Symbol... button, then you choose the path where you have your symbols
                > and your new one and GM create custom_symbols.txt list automatically
                > and add it to appropiate directory.
                >

                > Best Regards
                >
                > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "jvguti" <jvguti@i...> wrote:
                > >
                > > David,
                > > Icons that use gm are in ...GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols\
                > >

                > > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, David Emmith
                > <david.emmith@n...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Does anyone know where GM's icons are stored? I see a iconv.dll in
                > > > C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6 which leads me to think they're
                > > wrapped
                > > > up in the DLL and we can't get to them.
                > > >
                > > > Dave

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1 9:19 AM
                  Jim,

                  If you are going to manually edit the custom_symbols.txt file then you will
                  need to copy the .ico and .bmp files manually to the CustomSymbols folder.
                  Otherwise, Global Mapper has no way of knowing where to look for the .ico
                  and .bmp files since just a relative path is stored in the
                  custom_symbols.txt file.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1 9:49 AM

                    I did copy the symbols to custom symbols directory. What I was trying to
                    point out was: when I used GM to add a symbol, say red triangle, the GM
                    configuration shows redtri. But in reality GM copies redtri.ico to
                    1_redtri.ico and uses that file. So for every one I add, GM duplicates
                    the file. If I manually edit custom_symbols.txt to add bludia the file
                    is not duplicated.

                    This is not a problem, just a curiosity.
                    jim

                    >I started adding icons and noticed this effect.
                    >
                    >----- begin custom symbols.txt ------
                    >"grntri","1_grntri.ico"
                    >"redtri","1_redtri.ico"
                    >"bludia","bludia.ico" <--- I added this one by editing cu...txt
                    >"bludot","1_bludot.ico" <--- others using GM configuration
                    >"blusqr","1_blusqr.ico"
                    >------ end ------------------------
                    >
                    >When I add an icon {grntri.ico} with global mapper, GM copies the file
                    >to 1_grntri.ico, If I edit the custom symbols.txt file manually, this
                    >does not happen. {bludia.ico}

                    Volume in drive C is JIMS
                    Volume Serial Number is 27D9-1A6D
                    Directory of C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols

                    . <DIR> 07-13-04 3:58p .
                    .. <DIR> 07-13-04 3:58p ..
                    CUSTOM~1 TXT 123 04-01-05 8:17a custom_symbols.txt
                    RH1 ICO 3,246 12-02-03 9:09a rh1.ico
                    RH ICO 5,150 12-07-03 10:00a rh.ico
                    BLUSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p blusqr.ico
                    BLUDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p bludot.ico
                    BLUDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:12p bludia.ico
                    BLUTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:50p blutri.ico
                    GRNDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:12p grndia.ico
                    REDSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p redsqr.ico
                    GRNSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:47p grnsqr.ico
                    GRNTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:51p grntri.ico
                    REDDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:11p reddia.ico
                    REDDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p reddot.ico
                    GRNDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p grndot.ico
                    REDTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:53p redtri.ico
                    1_GRNTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:51p 1_grntri.ico <-- GM added
                    1_REDTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:53p 1_redtri.ico <-- GM added
                    DIR TXT 0 04-01-05 8:19a dir.txt
                    1_BLUDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p 1_bludot.ico <-- GM added
                    1_BLUSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p 1_blusqr.ico <-- GM added
                    MS-DOS~1 PIF 967 04-01-05 8:14a MS-DOS Prompt.pif
                    21 file(s) 61,678 bytes
                    2 dir(s) 4,223.41 MB free
                  • jvguti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1 1:15 PM
                      Jim,
                      like you can see in your tree directory, you have thats icons before
                      yo say to gm that uses them, gm sees that this symbol is repeated
                      and make a new on with other name to avoid conflicts.

                      Best Regards

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1 1:30 PM
                        Jorge,

                        That is correct, Global Mapper does check for files with the same name
                        already existing in the CustomSymbols folder, and if found a number if
                        prepended to make the filename unique.

                        like you can see in your tree directory, you have thats icons before
                        yo say to gm that uses them, gm sees that this symbol is repeated
                        and make a new on with other name to avoid conflicts.

                        Best Regards

                        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, jim <jfosse@c...> wrote:
                        > Mike,
                        >
                        > I did copy the symbols to custom symbols directory. What I was
                        trying to
                        > point out was: when I used GM to add a symbol, say red triangle,
                        the GM
                        > configuration shows redtri. But in reality GM copies redtri.ico to
                        > 1_redtri.ico and uses that file. So for every one I add, GM
                        duplicates
                        > the file. If I manually edit custom_symbols.txt to add bludia the
                        file
                        > is not duplicated.
                        >
                        > This is not a problem, just a curiosity.
                        > jim
                        >
                        > >I started adding icons and noticed this effect.
                        > >
                        > >----- begin custom symbols.txt ------
                        > >"grntri","1_grntri.ico"
                        > >"redtri","1_redtri.ico"
                        > >"bludia","bludia.ico" <--- I added this one by
                        editing cu...txt
                        > >"bludot","1_bludot.ico" <--- others using GM configuration
                        > >"blusqr","1_blusqr.ico"
                        > >------ end ------------------------
                        > >
                        > >When I add an icon {grntri.ico} with global mapper, GM copies the
                        file
                        > >to 1_grntri.ico, If I edit the custom symbols.txt file manually,
                        this
                        > >does not happen. {bludia.ico}
                        >
                        > Volume in drive C is JIMS
                        > Volume Serial Number is 27D9-1A6D
                        > Directory of C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper6\CustomSymbols
                        >
                        > . <DIR> 07-13-04 3:58p .
                        > .. <DIR> 07-13-04 3:58p ..
                        > CUSTOM~1 TXT 123 04-01-05 8:17a custom_symbols.txt
                        > RH1 ICO 3,246 12-02-03 9:09a rh1.ico
                        > RH ICO 5,150 12-07-03 10:00a rh.ico
                        > BLUSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p blusqr.ico
                        > BLUDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p bludot.ico
                        > BLUDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:12p bludia.ico
                        > BLUTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:50p blutri.ico
                        > GRNDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:12p grndia.ico
                        > REDSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p redsqr.ico
                        > GRNSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:47p grnsqr.ico
                        > GRNTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:51p grntri.ico
                        > REDDIA ICO 3,262 03-31-05 8:11p reddia.ico
                        > REDDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p reddot.ico
                        > GRNDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p grndot.ico
                        > REDTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:53p redtri.ico
                        > 1_GRNTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:51p 1_grntri.ico <-- GM
                        added
                        > 1_REDTRI ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:53p 1_redtri.ico <-- GM
                        added
                        > DIR TXT 0 04-01-05 8:19a dir.txt
                        > 1_BLUDOT ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:46p 1_bludot.ico <-- GM
                        added
                        > 1_BLUSQR ICO 3,262 03-31-05 7:45p 1_blusqr.ico <-- GM
                        added
                        > MS-DOS~1 PIF 967 04-01-05 8:14a MS-DOS Prompt.pif
                        > 21 file(s) 61,678 bytes
                        > 2 dir(s) 4,223.41 MB free

                        Yahoo! Groups Links