RE: [global_mapper] adding text

  • Ted Teofilak
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23, 2003
      Thanks,  I tried it.  It doesn't really work very well.  It would be better if you could create a text box like in word.

      Ted

      [Ted Teofilak]  -----Original Message-----
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003
        How do I open the Shuttle radar files?  I've attached a jpg of my file folder so you can see what I've done.  I unzipped each file.

        Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new at thyis.

        Ted

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003
          Depends on the format.

          I generally try to order them in TIF format.
          If you got them from USGS, once you set up the download, you need to
          further modify the order to download them as TIF.

          There may be other and better ways, but TIF seems to work well.

          BTW, don't be to surprised if you see a lot of holes in the data -
          this is due to either cloud shadows or radar shadows, especially in
          steep terrain.

          I'd like the ability to add a text box somewhere in the map so that
          I can write on the map.

          ex, St. Thomas, 100 meter resolution with streets.

          Can this be added to the tool bar?

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003

            Ted,

            It looks like you have downloaded a GTOPO30 elevation tile. Just select the .dem file to load it.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003
              I can't get it to open.  I got it from this site.

              Even though it ends in .dem Global Mapper doesn't seem to recognize it. It wants the projection and I don't know it.

              I have been able to open the  .hgt files that I've downloaded fron this site.
              -----Original Message-----[Ted Teofilak]From: Global Mapper Support [mailto:support@...]
              Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 7:07 PM
              To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003

                Ted,

                I downloaded those files and discovered the problem. The .hdr file is slightly malformed in that it only has carriage returns to separate the lines and not line feeds as is standard. You should be able to open the file up in about any word processor then resave it to fix the problem. I have also updated Global Mapper to automatically detect and handle that situation, so I could send you a new version if you’d like.

                I can't get it to open.  I got it from this site.

                Even though it ends in .dem Global Mapper doesn't seem to recognize it. It wants the projection and I don't know it.

                I have been able to open the  .hgt files that I've downloaded fron this site.

                -----Original Message-----[Ted Teofilak]From: Global Mapper Support [mailto:support@...]
                Sent:
                Sunday, August 24, 2003 7:07 PM
                To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003
                  Thanks Mike,

                  I have a small company that developes software to optimize cellular networks and I never get anything fixed so quickly.

                  How big of a company is Global Mapper and how do you make money selling software so cheap?

                  Ted
                  I downloaded those files and discovered the problem. The .hdr file is slightly malformed in that it only has carriage returns to separate the lines and not line feeds as is standard. You should be able to open the file up in about any word processor then resave it to fix the problem. I have also updated Global Mapper to automatically detect and handle that situation, so I could send you a new version if you’d like.

                  I can't get it to open.  I got it from this site.

                  Even though it ends in .dem Global Mapper doesn't seem to recognize it. It wants the projection and I don't know it.

                  I have been able to open the  .hgt files that I've downloaded fron this site.

                  -----Original Message-----[Ted Teofilak]From: Global Mapper Support [mailto:support@...]
                  Sent:
                  Sunday, August 24, 2003 7:07 PM
                  To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 24, 2003
                    The HDR file says it's in BIL format...

                    From: Ted Teofilak <ted@...>
                    Date: Sunday, August 24, 2003, 6:07:33 PM

                    I can't get it to open. I got it from this site.

                    ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/SRTM30/w060n40/