RE: [global_mapper] Cropping

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004

      Salif,

      Yes, you can easily crop raster and vector data in Global Mapper. Just load the data that you want to crop, and then use the appropriate File->Export menu command to export to a new file. Each export has an options dialog with an Export Bounds tab that allows you to specify what portion of the loaded data that you would like to export. The default is to export everything, but you can select to export just what’s on screen, draw a box around what you want, or manually specify the coordinates to export.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2006
        Hi Mike,

        Given a mosaic of ~100 aerial individual photographs that each still
        contain their respective borders (that is, the fiducial marks, camera
        information strip, etc.) and that as a result of rectification are
        oriented SW-NE, how can I easily crop off the border of each image
        quickly?

        Perhaps if each image could have a vector polygon associated with it
        the would serve as a clipping region so that the mosaic then displayed
        seamlessly it could exported as one large image. Maybe a shapefile
        that contained the appropriate cropping polygons with a field that
        matched the name of the image that that particular polygon would crop.

        Also, I think there is a way in script mode to export an image using a
        vector file as a clipping region. Is this possible via the batch
        mode? That would be handy as well.

        Lance
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 17, 2006
          Lance,

          You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER command in
          the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like a
          Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region for that
          export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple polygons with
          an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export filename then
          perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to allow
          specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a particular
          polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be to
          automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the polygon
          that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded data.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 17, 2006
            Adding a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME option you mention sounds like what I
            was talking about for the scripting part. It would be nice if it were
            possible to do it in the main app as well as from a script. Some
            things are just easier from within the GUI. It would also be handy
            for it to be possible via batch processing as well.

            Also, I noticed there is a DEFINE_SHAPE option now in scripting
            (according the what's new document) but there is nothing on the
            scripting page on how it works.

            --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
            <global_mapper@...> wrote:

            > Lance,
            >

            > You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER
            command in
            > the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like a
            > Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region for that
            > export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple
            polygons with
            > an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export filename then
            > perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to allow
            > specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a
            particular
            > polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be to
            > automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the
            polygon
            > that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded data.
            >

            > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

            > support@...

          • global_mapper
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 19, 2006
              Lance,

              I think when I replied I forgot to mention the DEFINE_SHAPE option.
              The DEFINE_SHAPE option is currently only used for feathering to a
              polygonal boundary. It basically just assigns a name to a list of
              coordinate values. To see how it works just feather-blend to a
              polygon and save a workspace file. Of course unless you need to
              feather-blend to a polygon this won't be of any use to you until it
              is extended to other uses.

              --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "lancecrumbliss"
              <chuckyboy81070@...> wrote:

              > Adding a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME option you mention sounds like what
              > was talking about for the scripting part. It would be nice if it
              were
              > possible to do it in the main app as well as from a script. Some
              > things are just easier from within the GUI. It would also be handy
              > for it to be possible via batch processing as well.
              >
              > Also, I noticed there is a DEFINE_SHAPE option now in scripting
              > (according the what's new document) but there is nothing on the
              > scripting page on how it works.
              >

              > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
              > <global_mapper@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Lance,
              > >

              > > You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER
              > command in
              > > the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like
              > > Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region
              for that
              > > export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple
              > polygons with
              > > an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export
              filename then
              > > perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to
              allow
              > > specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a
              > particular
              > > polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be
              > > automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the
              > polygon
              > > that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded
              data.

              > > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
              > >

              > > Thanks,
              > >

              > > Mike
              > >
              > > Global Mapper Support
              > >
              > > support@

            • lancecrumbliss
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
                Ok. Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

                Lance

                <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                > Lance,
                >
                > I think when I replied I forgot to mention the DEFINE_SHAPE option.
                > The DEFINE_SHAPE option is currently only used for feathering to a
                > polygonal boundary. It basically just assigns a name to a list of
                > coordinate values. To see how it works just feather-blend to a
                > polygon and save a workspace file. Of course unless you need to
                > feather-blend to a polygon this won't be of any use to you until it
                > is extended to other uses.
                >
                > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

                > support@...
                >
                > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "lancecrumbliss"
                > <chuckyboy81070@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Adding a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME option you mention sounds like what
                > > was talking about for the scripting part. It would be nice if it
                > were
                > > possible to do it in the main app as well as from a script. Some
                > > things are just easier from within the GUI. It would also be handy
                > > for it to be possible via batch processing as well.
                > >
                > > Also, I noticed there is a DEFINE_SHAPE option now in scripting
                > > (according the what's new document) but there is nothing on the
                > > scripting page on how it works.
                > >

                > > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
                > > <global_mapper@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Lance,
                > > >

                > > > You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER
                > > command in
                > > > the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like
                > > > Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region
                > for that
                > > > export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple
                > > polygons with
                > > > an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export
                > filename then
                > > > perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to
                > allow
                > > > specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a
                > > particular
                > > > polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be
                > > > automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the
                > > polygon
                > > > that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded
                > data.
                > > >

                > > > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                > > >

                > > > Thanks,
                > > >

                > > > Mike
                > > >
                > > > Global Mapper Support
                > > >
                > > > support@

              • global_mapper
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
                  Lance,

                  I have improved the behavior of the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter when
                  exporting from a script file to allow the use of files with multiple
                  polygons. If this is detected then the polygon with the largest
                  overlap of the selected data will be used. This should automatically
                  do what you want in most cases and allow me to put off adding a
                  POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME parameter until really needed.

                  There is a new build with this change at
                  http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip . Note that I have not
                  extensively tested this change, so please let me know if you see any
                  problems (or if it works).

                  <chuckyboy81070@...> wrote:

                  > Adding a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME option you mention sounds like what
                  > was talking about for the scripting part. It would be nice if it
                  were
                  > possible to do it in the main app as well as from a script. Some
                  > things are just easier from within the GUI. It would also be handy
                  > for it to be possible via batch processing as well.
                  >
                  > Also, I noticed there is a DEFINE_SHAPE option now in scripting
                  > (according the what's new document) but there is nothing on the
                  > scripting page on how it works.
                  >

                  > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
                  > <global_mapper@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Lance,
                  > >

                  > > You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER
                  > command in
                  > > the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like
                  > > Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region
                  for that
                  > > export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple
                  > polygons with
                  > > an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export
                  filename then
                  > > perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to
                  allow
                  > > specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a
                  > particular
                  > > polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be
                  > > automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the
                  > polygon
                  > > that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded
                  data.

                  > > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                  > >

                  > > Thanks,
                  > >

                  > > Mike
                  > >
                  > > Global Mapper Support
                  > >
                  > > support@

                • lancecrumbliss
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
                    that sounds great Mike. i'll let you know if i have any problems.

                    <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                    > Lance,
                    >
                    > I have improved the behavior of the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter when
                    > exporting from a script file to allow the use of files with multiple
                    > polygons. If this is detected then the polygon with the largest
                    > overlap of the selected data will be used. This should automatically
                    > do what you want in most cases and allow me to put off adding a
                    > POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME parameter until really needed.
                    >
                    > There is a new build with this change at
                    > http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper8.zip . Note that I have not
                    > extensively tested this change, so please let me know if you see any
                    > problems (or if it works).

                    > support@...
                    >
                    > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "lancecrumbliss"
                    > <chuckyboy81070@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Adding a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME option you mention sounds like what
                    > > was talking about for the scripting part. It would be nice if it
                    > were
                    > > possible to do it in the main app as well as from a script. Some
                    > > things are just easier from within the GUI. It would also be handy
                    > > for it to be possible via batch processing as well.
                    > >
                    > > Also, I noticed there is a DEFINE_SHAPE option now in scripting
                    > > (according the what's new document) but there is nothing on the
                    > > scripting page on how it works.
                    > >

                    > > --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support"
                    > > <global_mapper@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Lance,
                    > > >

                    > > > You can use the POLYGON_CROP_FILE parameter for the EXPORT_RASTER
                    > > command in
                    > > > the scripting language to specify the name of a vector file (like
                    > > > Shapefile) containing a single polygon that is the crop region
                    > for that
                    > > > export. If you have something like a Shapefile with multiple
                    > > polygons with
                    > > > an attribute of some sort that matched the desired export
                    > filename then
                    > > > perhaps something could be added to the scripting language to
                    > allow
                    > > > specification of a POLYGON_CROP_ATTR_NAME to allow selecting a
                    > > particular
                    > > > polygon from a polygon crop file. One other possibility would be
                    > > > automatically search the list of polygons in the crop file for the
                    > > polygon
                    > > > that had the largest intersection with the bounds of the loaded
                    > data.
                    > > >

                    > > > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                    > > >

                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > >

                    > > > Mike
                    > > >
                    > > > Global Mapper Support
                    > > >
                    > > > support@

                  • lancecrumbliss
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006

                      I've been given a county-sized image compressed to an ecw file. Now,
                      we need to cut it into individual tiles using a client-supplied
                      shapefile as a cookie cutter and export them tiles as geotiffs. The
                      shapefile contains 172 polygons and the image must be cut to their
                      borders.

                      The sticky point is the last one. Normally, we could use GMs tile
                      options, but we need them to be cut exactly to the shapefile's
                      polygons. I could select each polygon individually and export it
                      manually, but this would take quite a while and be pretty tedious.
                      The new method you just added doesn't help out much here. Do you have
                      any suggestions?

                      Lance

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
                        Lance,

                        I think for now this one would be best solved with the SDK. There is not
                        currently a way to crop to a polygon on export in the SDK but I could add
                        support for that without too much trouble. Then you could simply load your
                        crop Shapefile and your ECW file, then iterate through all of the area
                        features in the crop Shapefile layer and do an export with each of those as
                        the crop polygon.

                        --- In global_mapper@ <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>