DTED file names

  • KevinH
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2013
      Global Mapper is an excellent program. A recent project came up, and I knew that Global Mapper would be the solution. This time elevation data is needed in DTED format.

      DTED file format saves information by latitude in directories named by longitude.
      For example:
      C:/dted/W146/N62.dt1
      C:/dted/W146/N63.dt1
      C:/dted/W147/N62.dt1
      C:/dted/W147/N63.dt1

      In Global Mapper when saving to DTED format, a filename is required.
      For instance, "Alaska"
      C:/dted/W146/Alaska_N62.dt1
      C:/dted/W147/Alaska_N62.dt1

      Is this necessary for some reason? For me, the files will all be renamed.

      Could the filename instead be a project directory?
      C:/Alaska/W146/N62.dt1
      C:/Alaska/W146/N63.dt1

      This would save having to rename all those files.
      Would this adversely affect anyone else using DTED data?

      Thanks
      Kevin
    • Mike Childs
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2013
        Hello KevinH,

        When you specify the output filename just specify .dt1 with no prefix. Then you will just get the automatic part filled in without the prefix.

        Thanks,

        Mike Childs
        Global Mapper Guru
        Blue Marble Geographics
        Parker, CO USA
        www.bluemarblegeo.com
        Email: gmsupport@...

        Global Mapper 14.1 Get it Now!
        Massive Point Cloud Support, Dongle Licensing, and Much More
        Please visit www.bluemarblegeo.com for more information
        The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.