Contouring non elevation data

  • crowdata
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2012
      I would like to contour non elevation data such as geochemical, magnetic or em survey data from ground or airborne surveys. My data is always in x y z format with the z value being equal to the magnetic, em or geochem data readings. The GM output contours work well but the contours always show an "m" for metres or "ft" for feet . Could this not be set up to have a user defined interval of gammas, ppb, ppm etc.

      rc
    • Mike Childs
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2012
        Hello Carl,

        There is an option on the contour generation dialog to control whether or not a unit label is appended to the contour heights. Just uncheck that and you will get the contour labels with no units. Any grid will think it has some elevation units, like meters, so just specify the contour interval in those same units (I would always just stick to meters to avoid unwanted conversions) when specifying the contour interval. If you want to append some text to the labels after creating them for the correct units, right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select the CALC ATTR option, then append the unit text to the feature name.

        Mike Childs
        Global Mapper Guru
        Blue Marble Geographics

        Parker, CO USA
        www.globalmapper.com
        Email: gmsupport@...

        Welcoming Global Mapper to our Product Line
        www.bluemarblegeo.com
        Contact Blue Marble at info@..., or call 800-616-2725/+1 (207)582-6747 for more details.
        The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

        From: "crowdata" <crowdata@...>
        To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:15:29 -0000
        Subject: [global_mapper] Contouring non elevation data

        I would like to contour non elevation data such as geochemical, magnetic or em survey data from ground or airborne surveys. My data is always in x y z format with the z value being equal to the magnetic, em or geochem data readings. The GM output contours work well but the contours always show an "m" for metres or "ft" for feet . Could this not be set up to have a user defined interval of gammas, ppb, ppm etc.

        rc
      • Randy Crowley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2012
          Hi Mike

          Thanks for this. I'd like to clarify the contour process I'm using

          1. I'm loading and z,y,z file with N,E and Mag reading (Elevation) with
          "Open Generic ASCII File" and telling it that the 3rd value is the
          elevation.
          2. In order to contour the values I'm choosing "GRID - Create Elevation
          Grid from 3D Vector Data"
          3. Contouring the "Triangulated Elevation Grid".

          Correct me if there's a different way. It seems a bit obtuse.

          Also iss there a way to select/modify the palette used on the Triangulated
          Elevation Grid? My grid values are in the rabge of 57000 to 72000 gammas
          and the color palette in mostly "Orange colored" with little definition.

          Randy Crowley
          416-712-2708

          *
          *

        • Mike Childs

            From: Randy Crowley <crowdata@...>
            To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:16:46 -0400
            Subject: Re: [global_mapper] Contouring non elevation data

            Hi Mike

            Thanks for this. I'd like to clarify the contour process I'm using

            1. I'm loading and z,y,z file with N,E and Mag reading (Elevation) with
            "Open Generic ASCII File" and telling it that the 3rd value is the
            elevation.
            2. In order to contour the values I'm choosing "GRID - Create Elevation
            Grid from 3D Vector Data"
            3. Contouring the "Triangulated Elevation Grid".

            Correct me if there's a different way. It seems a bit obtuse.

            Also iss there a way to select/modify the palette used on the Triangulated
            Elevation Grid? My grid values are in the rabge of 57000 to 72000 gammas
            and the color palette in mostly "Orange colored" with little definition.

            Randy Crowley
            416-712-2708

            *
            *

            On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Mike Childs <gmsupport@...>wrote:

            > Hello Carl,
            >
            > There is an option on the contour generation dialog to control whether or
            > not a unit label is appended to the contour heights. Just uncheck that and
            > you will get the contour labels with no units. Any grid will think it has
            > some elevation units, like meters, so just specify the contour interval in
            > those same units (I would always just stick to meters to avoid unwanted
            > conversions) when specifying the contour interval. If you want to append
            > some text to the labels after creating them for the correct units,
            > right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select the CALC ATTR
            > option, then append the unit text to the feature name.
            >
            > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mike Childs
            > Global Mapper Guru
            > Blue Marble Geographics
            >
            > Parker, CO USA
            > www.globalmapper.com
            > Email: gmsupport@...
            >

            > Welcoming Global Mapper to our Product Line
            > www.bluemarblegeo.com
            > Contact Blue Marble at info@..., or call 800-616-2725/+1
            > (207)582-6747 for more details.
            > The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and
            > confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s)
            > named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended
            > recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate,
            > distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this
            > E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the
            > message promptly. Thank you.

          • Randy Crowley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2012
              Thanks Mike

              I didn't realize that I could define a custom shader even though the option
              is clearly there. I have been pulling in Surfer clr files as a base and
              then modifying the "elevations". This works great.

              I've creating numerous shaders to get to my optimal. I now have a bunch of
              user defined shaders that are "junk"., is there a way to delete the ones I
              no longer need.

              On a side note: This is a great product with an easy learning curve, I only
              discovered it about 3 months ago. I am now using this as my principal
              program to create geology/geophysics/geochem compilation maps. I still need
              to use Geosoft Target for drilling purposes but this thing rocks.
              *
              Randy Crowley
              Tel: 416-712-2708
              crowdata@...*

            • samknightbmg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2012
                Hello Randy,

                Thanks for your compliments, we all appreciate it. To delete a custom shader, you will need to go into the Shader options on the Configuration dialog. At the bottom of the Shader Options, you will see a drop down listing all your custom shaders, you can use that menu to delete. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

                Regards,
                Sam Knight

                Product Manager
                Blue Marble Geographics

                44° 13' 49.50" N, 69° 46' 32.00" W, WGS84
                397 Water Street, Suite 100
                Gardiner, Maine 04345 USA