Re: Vector export Polish MP

  • Seldom
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26 7:37 AM
      To tack on to Danny's topic. I also saw there was a "Garmin Custom Map(Polish MP)" export. I thought "Garmin Custom Maps" were KMZ files, not Polish.

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Geysen" <danny.geysen@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > Since GM V13.1 we can see in the vector export formats :
      >
      > cGPSMapper (PolishMP) file
      > and Polish MP (cGPSMapper) file.
      >
      > Are these exactly the same? (Or is one of them Polish MP Lowrance type set
      > ?

    • Mike Childs
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26 8:38 AM
        Hello Hilton,

        The cGPSMapper and Polish MP options refer to the exact same thing. They are both listed so that users can find the option no matter how they know the MP files (i.e. you might be looking for cGPSMapper and not Polish MP or vice-versa).

        Both are for creating custom vector maps for Garmin devices. The KMZ export option under the GPS menu for Garmin custom maps is for creating custom raster maps for display on compatible Garmin devices. This is a much simpler process, but is supported by only a handful of devices and doesn't offer all of the same functionality as true vector maps.

        Thanks,

        Mike Childs
        Global Mapper Guru
        Blue Marble Geographics

        Parker, CO USA
        www.globalmapper.com
        Email: gmsupport@...

        Welcoming Global Mapper to our Product Line
        www.bluemarblegeo.com
        Contact Blue Marble at info@..., or call 800-616-2725/+1 (207)582-6747 for more details.
        The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

        From: "Seldom" <seldom_sn@...>
        To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:37:46 -0000
        Subject: [global_mapper] Re: Vector export Polish MP

        To tack on to Danny's topic. I also saw there was a "Garmin Custom Map(Polish MP)" export. I thought "Garmin Custom Maps" were KMZ files, not Polish.

        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Geysen" <danny.geysen@...> wrote:

        > Mike,
        >
        > Since GM V13.1 we can see in the vector export formats :
        >
        > cGPSMapper (PolishMP) file
        > and Polish MP (cGPSMapper) file.
        >
        > Are these exactly the same? (Or is one of them Polish MP Lowrance type set
        > ?

      • Seldom
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26 9:12 AM
          Thanks, Mike.

          You covered Danny's question below, but I don't think you answered mine regarding the "Garmin Custom Map(Polish MP)" option. Garmin uses the "Custom Map" term to refer to KMZ rasters. (Others use it to mean vector maps compiled with cgpsmapper or mkgmap.) If you are using Garmin's definition, the output is not MP so the menu option is ambiguous.

          Hilton

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, Mike Childs <gmsupport@...> wrote:

          > Hello Hilton,
          >
          > The cGPSMapper and Polish MP options refer to the exact same thing. They are both listed so that users can find the option no matter how they know the MP files (i.e. you might be looking for cGPSMapper and not Polish MP or vice-versa).
          >
          > Both are for creating custom vector maps for Garmin devices. The KMZ export option under the GPS menu for Garmin custom maps is for creating custom raster maps for display on compatible Garmin devices. This is a much simpler process, but is supported by only a handful of devices and doesn't offer all of the same functionality as true vector maps.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mike Childs
          > Global Mapper Guru
          > Blue Marble Geographics
          >
          > Parker, CO USA
          > www.globalmapper.com
          > Email: gmsupport@...
          >

          > Welcoming Global Mapper to our Product Line
          > www.bluemarblegeo.com
          > Contact Blue Marble at info@..., or call 800-616-2725/+1 (207)582-6747 for more details.
          > The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

        • Mike Childs

            From: "Seldom" <seldom_sn@...>
            To: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:12:18 -0000

            Thanks, Mike.

            You covered Danny's question below, but I don't think you answered mine regarding the "Garmin Custom Map(Polish MP)" option. Garmin uses the "Custom Map" term to refer to KMZ rasters. (Others use it to mean vector maps compiled with cgpsmapper or mkgmap.) If you are using Garmin's definition, the output is not MP so the menu option is ambiguous.

            Hilton

            --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, Mike Childs <gmsupport@...> wrote:

            > Hello Hilton,
            >
            > The cGPSMapper and Polish MP options refer to the exact same thing. They are both listed so that users can find the option no matter how they know the MP files (i.e. you might be looking for cGPSMapper and not Polish MP or vice-versa).
            >
            > Both are for creating custom vector maps for Garmin devices. The KMZ export option under the GPS menu for Garmin custom maps is for creating custom raster maps for display on compatible Garmin devices. This is a much simpler process, but is supported by only a handful of devices and doesn't offer all of the same functionality as true vector maps.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mike Childs
            > Global Mapper Guru
            > Blue Marble Geographics
            >
            > Parker, CO USA
            > www.globalmapper.com
            > Email: gmsupport@...
            >

            > Welcoming Global Mapper to our Product Line
            > www.bluemarblegeo.com
            > Contact Blue Marble at info@..., or call 800-616-2725/+1 (207)582-6747 for more details.
            > The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

          • Danny Geysen
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28 10:57 AM

              In the 13.1 'What's new', one can read:

              Update Polish MP export using a template MP file that uses Lowrance type
              mapping to write out Lowrance types to the new MP file.

              What do you mean by this? Do you have an example of such a template ?

              Danny Geysen
              _____