Re: Feature Request

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 9, 2011
      Yes, this does what I want, but it could be so much quicker with a cut tool on the toolbar.

      monks

      --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support" <global_mapper@...> wrote:

      > Monks,
      >

      > There is an option already to crop selected line features to selected area
      > features. Is this perhaps what you want? To do this simply select the crop
      > area and the lines to crop, then right-click and select the 'Crop/Split
      > Selected Line Feature(s) to Selected Area(s)' option on the popup menu.

      > support@...

    • Carl
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 28, 2012
        Would it be possible to have a feature where you select two vertices (with z values set), and GM auto linear interpolates the connected vertices between them and assigns the z values? It would be really useful to be able to use rivers to generate valleys/ height info in this way, for gridding. I know it's possible to transfer z info from a dem to vectors, but often my terrain doesn't have the valley info in there.

        Thanks,
        Carl
      • Carl
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
          Please can we have a create river line feature in Global Mapper.
          A line with a dialog which opens on start asking for:
          Start and end heights
          An elevation interpolation function to use (linear, exponential, etc).
          Start and end widths for river valley (or flood plain) cross section.

          Global mapper would interpolate along the line length and assign heights to each vertex, and also interpolate the cross section width along its length.

          Perhaps the feature would comprise of a polyline for the channel centre line + an area feature to describe the cross section. Or perhaps have something like the buffer dialog which could be applied to any line- including the elevation interpolation.

          This could then be used as a breakline to affect gridding.

          Carl
        • Mike Childs
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
            Hello Carl,

            I'm not quite clear on how this would work. Do you already have the stream channel and want to create an area features from it based on the surrounding terrain and the base height of the stream at each location? Or are you wanting to create an elevation grid from some 3D vector data (like contours) and want to use stream vectors to constrain it so the resulting terrain is hydrologically correct? This is actually already possible in the latest v14.2 release if you grid vector layers with both contours lines and stream line features.

            Thanks,

            Mike Childs
            Global Mapper Guru
            Blue Marble Geographics
            Parker, CO USA
            www.bluemarblegeo.com
            Email: geohelp@...

            Global Mapper 14.2 Now Available!
            Many New Scripting Options, LiDAR Features and Much More

            As always, keep an eye on www.bluemarblegeo.com for more information on Blue Marble Geographics.
            The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
               The second option you mentioned. I have the stream channel. BUT, I have no elevation info in the stream channel or necessarily any contours in the vacinity. The option to interpolate elevation from end points and assign them to the vertices would be a quick way to create the gradient. When gridded the 3D vectors would create the feature.

               I guess you could describe the line I want to create more generally as a gradient. It could be used to create other features for eg road cuttings- a road would simply have a fixed cross section- without having to assign elevation per vertex myself.
              A stream would be a gradient with variable cross section. Simple interpolation of cross section from begin and end widths would be fine.

              Carl

              ________________________________

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
                  Hi Mike, that's good to know, and half of the problem solved. Is there no way to do the same with altering the cross section influence of the line? Since we can already buffer a line couldn't the feature be added to the buffer dialog?

                  Carl

                  ________________________________

                    From: Carl Lingard <carllingard@...>
                    To: "global_mapper@yahoogroups.com" <global_mapper@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:10:12 +0100 (BST)
                    Subject: Re: re[2]: [global_mapper] Feature Request

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
                      I tried a few things out as you suggested. I created a stream channel with interpolated z info. Then a buffer around it and it did work, except that it doesn't allow you to taper the cross section along the LINE LENGTH- that's what I mean. So for example the buffer would taper off as a river valley would become narrower upstream. I can see that you could create the narrowing manually by moving vertices of the buffer, but if the original line was a traced line that's a lot of vertices to move, and it's really awkward.
                       Would it be possible to have a setting in buffer creation to either automatically interpolate from start and end widths provided by the user in the dialog directly as two numbers?, or maybe the option to assign the buffer width to another area feature already drawn, -"Get distance from Feature"?

                      Carl

                      ________________________________

                      From: Carl Lingard <carllingard@...>
                      To: "global_mapper@yahoogroups.com" <global_mapper@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:10:12 +0100 (BST)

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 17, 2013
                        Carl,

                        I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.

                        Global Mapper Guru
                        geohelp@...
                        http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
                      • Carl Lingard
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 17, 2013
                          Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!

                          Carl

                          ________________________________
                          I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.

                          Global Mapper Guru
                          geohelp@...
                          http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/

                        • Yiannis Magkiriadis
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 18, 2013
                            Hi Mike and Carl

                            I have been following this discussion with regards to your last comment:

                            *I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer
                            technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line
                            features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely
                            be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.*
                            *
                            *
                            and correct me if I am wrong but we could use the same tool to modify the
                            buffer width along a line at different distances?

                            i.e. I have a line that is 50 km long and we want to create a buffer zone
                            along the 1st 10km of say 25m, then I want the buffer zone to be 100m
                            between 10km and 40km and then I want the buffer zone to go to 65m for the
                            final 10km.

                            the thing is as of know, I have to split the line in 3x differnt segments
                            and create the relevant buffer zones of the 3 lines individually and then
                            join the lines up again.

                            thanks for nursing GM for us.

                            On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Carl Lingard <carllingard@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!
                            >
                            > Carl
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Carl Lingard
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 18, 2013
                              Hi Yiannis, yes, all I'm looking for is a simple interpolation from the start width to the end width. So the change would be gradual. Any other interpolation functions of course would be useful- maybe something like the taper functionality. I think you're looking for more of a stepped buffer. Maybe a kind of a staircase function, but sounds like you possibly need more control than that.
                               Perhaps the ability for the input to accept a list of widths, eg input as "25, 100, 65". Global Mapper would map those to the the first 3 line segments it encountered in the list- if it encountered a comma in the input it would auto step them and not interpolate. The mind boggles..!

                              Carl

                              ________________________________
                              I have been following this discussion with regards to your last comment:

                              *I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer
                              technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line
                              features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely
                              be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.*
                              *
                              *
                              and correct me if I am wrong but we could use the same tool to modify the
                              buffer width along a line at different distances?

                              i.e. I have a line that is 50 km long and we want to create a buffer zone
                              along the 1st 10km of say 25m, then I want the buffer zone to be 100m
                              between 10km and 40km and then I want the buffer zone to go to 65m for the
                              final 10km.

                              the thing is as of know, I have to split the line in 3x differnt segments
                              and create the relevant buffer zones of the 3 lines individually and then
                              join the lines up again.

                              thanks for nursing GM for us.

                              On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Carl Lingard <carllingard@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!
                              >
                              > Carl

                            • Mike Childs