Re: Feature Request

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2011
      Ok, thanks Mike,
      ...alternatively, it would speed my working up greatly if there was some kind of "Cut tool" -basically a marquee selection that cut (deleted) all vertices within that selection AND didn't auto-join the new end points. I'm spending a lot of time splitting features and deleting vertices.

      monks

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2011
        Monks,

        There is an option already to crop selected line features to selected area
        features. Is this perhaps what you want? To do this simply select the crop
        area and the lines to crop, then right-click and select the 'Crop/Split
        Selected Line Feature(s) to Selected Area(s)' option on the popup menu.

        ...alternatively, it would speed my working up greatly if there was some
        kind of "Cut tool" -basically a marquee selection that cut (deleted) all
        vertices within that selection AND didn't auto-join the new end points. I'm
        spending a lot of time splitting features and deleting vertices.

        monks

        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com> , "Global Mapper Support"
        <global_mapper@...> wrote:

        > Monks,
        >

        > I can add something like this to the todo list but I'm not sure that it
        > would be a particularly simple thing to add.

        > support@...
        >

        > From: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Hi Mike, I do a lot of terrain modelling in GM with contours. I
        increasingly
        > prefer to work with contours rather than traditional brush methods because
        > the hydrology is important. Contours (and interpolation) is an easy way to
        > ensure this.
        > We use a physics sim to model water on the surface, and any errors show up
        > and cause time delays because I have go back and remodel those areas.
        >
        > Apart from contours, I also use the smudge tool in my modelling apps. The
        > smudge tool when applied to a terrain does this (if you view the terrain
        as
        > contours).
        >
        > http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/ContoursIdea3.png
        >
        > ...But it's a slow process because it's acting on all pixels under the
        > brush, and there are things like lighting calcs, etc.
        >
        > Would it be possible to have something like this in GM, acting only on the
        > vectors (not the grid)? It would speed up my modelling greatly. I would
        > gladly upgrade to 12 in a second if you developed something like this.
        > I think the tool would probably benefit from pressure sensitivity to
        control
        > the size of the "brush" (or some setting on the toolbar). I use a wacom
        when
        > I can.
        >
        > I understand this might be left field perhaps for most folks who use GM,
        but
        > I've used a LOT of apps and GM is just about the best way to guarantee the
        > hydrology that I want. There are a few of people in the gaming world
        > scratching their heads trying to get correct hydrology across large game
        > worlds according to an artists input design map. I imagine a tool like
        this
        > would also be really useful for people in landscape design as well.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > monks

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2011
          Righteo, will check that out ;)

          monks

          --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support" <global_mapper@...> wrote:

          > Monks,
          >

          > There is an option already to crop selected line features to selected area
          > features. Is this perhaps what you want? To do this simply select the crop
          > area and the lines to crop, then right-click and select the 'Crop/Split
          > Selected Line Feature(s) to Selected Area(s)' option on the popup menu.

          > support@...

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 9, 2011
            Yes, this does what I want, but it could be so much quicker with a cut tool on the toolbar.

          • Carl
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 28, 2012
              Would it be possible to have a feature where you select two vertices (with z values set), and GM auto linear interpolates the connected vertices between them and assigns the z values? It would be really useful to be able to use rivers to generate valleys/ height info in this way, for gridding. I know it's possible to transfer z info from a dem to vectors, but often my terrain doesn't have the valley info in there.

              Thanks,
              Carl
            • Carl
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
                Please can we have a create river line feature in Global Mapper.
                A line with a dialog which opens on start asking for:
                Start and end heights
                An elevation interpolation function to use (linear, exponential, etc).
                Start and end widths for river valley (or flood plain) cross section.

                Global mapper would interpolate along the line length and assign heights to each vertex, and also interpolate the cross section width along its length.

                Perhaps the feature would comprise of a polyline for the channel centre line + an area feature to describe the cross section. Or perhaps have something like the buffer dialog which could be applied to any line- including the elevation interpolation.

                This could then be used as a breakline to affect gridding.

                Carl
              • Mike Childs
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Hello Carl,

                  I'm not quite clear on how this would work. Do you already have the stream channel and want to create an area features from it based on the surrounding terrain and the base height of the stream at each location? Or are you wanting to create an elevation grid from some 3D vector data (like contours) and want to use stream vectors to constrain it so the resulting terrain is hydrologically correct? This is actually already possible in the latest v14.2 release if you grid vector layers with both contours lines and stream line features.

                  Thanks,

                  Mike Childs
                  Global Mapper Guru
                  Blue Marble Geographics
                  Parker, CO USA
                  www.bluemarblegeo.com
                  Email: geohelp@...

                  Global Mapper 14.2 Now Available!
                  Many New Scripting Options, LiDAR Features and Much More

                  As always, keep an eye on www.bluemarblegeo.com for more information on Blue Marble Geographics.
                  The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of the message promptly. Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
                     The second option you mentioned. I have the stream channel. BUT, I have no elevation info in the stream channel or necessarily any contours in the vacinity. The option to interpolate elevation from end points and assign them to the vertices would be a quick way to create the gradient. When gridded the 3D vectors would create the feature.

                     I guess you could describe the line I want to create more generally as a gradient. It could be used to create other features for eg road cuttings- a road would simply have a fixed cross section- without having to assign elevation per vertex myself.
                    A stream would be a gradient with variable cross section. Simple interpolation of cross section from begin and end widths would be fine.

                    Carl

                    ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
                        Hi Mike, that's good to know, and half of the problem solved. Is there no way to do the same with altering the cross section influence of the line? Since we can already buffer a line couldn't the feature be added to the buffer dialog?

                        Carl

                        ________________________________

                          From: Carl Lingard <carllingard@...>
                          To: "global_mapper@yahoogroups.com" <global_mapper@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:10:12 +0100 (BST)
                          Subject: Re: re[2]: [global_mapper] Feature Request

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013
                            I tried a few things out as you suggested. I created a stream channel with interpolated z info. Then a buffer around it and it did work, except that it doesn't allow you to taper the cross section along the LINE LENGTH- that's what I mean. So for example the buffer would taper off as a river valley would become narrower upstream. I can see that you could create the narrowing manually by moving vertices of the buffer, but if the original line was a traced line that's a lot of vertices to move, and it's really awkward.
                             Would it be possible to have a setting in buffer creation to either automatically interpolate from start and end widths provided by the user in the dialog directly as two numbers?, or maybe the option to assign the buffer width to another area feature already drawn, -"Get distance from Feature"?

                            Carl

                            ________________________________

                            From: Carl Lingard <carllingard@...>
                            To: "global_mapper@yahoogroups.com" <global_mapper@yahoogroups.com>
                            Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:10:12 +0100 (BST)

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 17, 2013
                              Carl,

                              I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.

                              Global Mapper Guru
                              geohelp@...
                              http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
                            • Carl Lingard
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 17, 2013
                                Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!

                                Carl

                                ________________________________
                                I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.

                                Global Mapper Guru
                                geohelp@...
                                http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/

                              • Yiannis Magkiriadis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 18, 2013
                                  Hi Mike and Carl

                                  I have been following this discussion with regards to your last comment:

                                  *I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer
                                  technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line
                                  features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely
                                  be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.*
                                  *
                                  *
                                  and correct me if I am wrong but we could use the same tool to modify the
                                  buffer width along a line at different distances?

                                  i.e. I have a line that is 50 km long and we want to create a buffer zone
                                  along the 1st 10km of say 25m, then I want the buffer zone to be 100m
                                  between 10km and 40km and then I want the buffer zone to go to 65m for the
                                  final 10km.

                                  the thing is as of know, I have to split the line in 3x differnt segments
                                  and create the relevant buffer zones of the 3 lines individually and then
                                  join the lines up again.

                                  thanks for nursing GM for us.

                                  On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Carl Lingard <carllingard@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!
                                  >
                                  > Carl
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • Carl Lingard
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 18, 2013
                                    Hi Yiannis, yes, all I'm looking for is a simple interpolation from the start width to the end width. So the change would be gradual. Any other interpolation functions of course would be useful- maybe something like the taper functionality. I think you're looking for more of a stepped buffer. Maybe a kind of a staircase function, but sounds like you possibly need more control than that.
                                     Perhaps the ability for the input to accept a list of widths, eg input as "25, 100, 65". Global Mapper would map those to the the first 3 line segments it encountered in the list- if it encountered a comma in the input it would auto step them and not interpolate. The mind boggles..!

                                    Carl

                                    ________________________________
                                    I have been following this discussion with regards to your last comment:

                                    *I actually think it would be pretty easy to update our existing buffer
                                    technology to support different start and end buffer distances for line
                                    features. I have added this to our todo list as item #12023. It will likely
                                    be in the next release, which would be v15.0 in September.*
                                    *
                                    *
                                    and correct me if I am wrong but we could use the same tool to modify the
                                    buffer width along a line at different distances?

                                    i.e. I have a line that is 50 km long and we want to create a buffer zone
                                    along the 1st 10km of say 25m, then I want the buffer zone to be 100m
                                    between 10km and 40km and then I want the buffer zone to go to 65m for the
                                    final 10km.

                                    the thing is as of know, I have to split the line in 3x differnt segments
                                    and create the relevant buffer zones of the 3 lines individually and then
                                    join the lines up again.

                                    thanks for nursing GM for us.

                                    On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Carl Lingard <carllingard@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Thanks Mike, that will really round the tool off nicely!
                                    >
                                    > Carl

                                  • Mike Childs