Incorrect Raster Export

  • richard_spamless
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
      I'm a very contented user of Global Mapper 6 and have been using it successfully mainly with SRTM data.
      I have recently switched to using the revised SRTM data from CGIAR - version 4, and now find that when exporting raster/elevation data from this, GM6 is giving some erroneous values. Specifically in river estuaries, it blocks off the river mouth by exporting elevation values of several metres instead of zero. This is in spite of the fact that the screen display shows the coastline correctly.
      I'm not yet very familiar with the CGIAR data but it seems that it is different than the original SRTM files in not giving zero values for the sea.
      Is this issue something you are aware of?
      Will an upgrade to the latest version of GM fix it? I have downloaded a trial copy to test, but of course it will not allow exports.
      I am otherwise very happy with version 6, but I am prepared to buy the new version if I know it will work with the revised data.
    • richard_spamless
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
        Correction! I'm using version 7, not 6.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
          Richard,

          Does the CGIAR SRTM data show the values of several meters or is it only in
          the export results from Global Mapper? I would typically expect the CGIAR
          data to be as good or better than the base SRTM data.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
            It show perfectly well on the mapper display. It's only the exported data that is incorrect. I can send you a sample output if that would help.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
              Richard,

              Yes, please send the samples to support@... and I'll take a
              look.

              It show perfectly well on the mapper display. It's only the exported data
              that is incorrect. I can send you a sample output if that would help.

              --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com> , "Global Mapper Support"

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                Richard,

                Thanks for the file. I think the issue is that the CGIAR data has the ocean
                marked as invalid rather than zero, so you don't get points in the XYZ
                export there. When you grid the data by default those no-data areas will
                fill in using nearby data, but you really don't want that. There are a
                couple of ways to fix this, but the best is to select the CGIAR layer(s) in
                the Control Center prior to export, press Options, then go to the Adjust
                Elevations tab and specify to replace void samples with 0. Then your ocean
                areas will be set to a valid value of 0 and should export as expected.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Great, I'll get on to that and report back.
                  Many thanks.

                  --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "Global Mapper Support" <global_mapper@...> wrote:

                  > Richard,
                  >

                  > Thanks for the file. I think the issue is that the CGIAR data has the ocean
                  > marked as invalid rather than zero, so you don't get points in the XYZ
                  > export there. When you grid the data by default those no-data areas will
                  > fill in using nearby data, but you really don't want that. There are a
                  > couple of ways to fix this, but the best is to select the CGIAR layer(s) in
                  > the Control Center prior to export, press Options, then go to the Adjust
                  > Elevations tab and specify to replace void samples with 0. Then your ocean
                  > areas will be set to a valid value of 0 and should export as expected.
                  >

                  > Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

                • richard_spamless
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Yes that's working fine. I'm most grateful for your very prompt help.