Need panchromatic/multispectral image pair

  • johnm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hello all,

      I need a panchromatic (b/w) and multispectral (color) picture of the same region. It is for a pansharpening project I am working on with some undergraduate students studying wavelets. The panchromatic image should be higher resolution than the multipectral image. So for instance, if the multispectral is 512x512 then the panchromatic image of the same area should be 1024x1024 or higher (preferable 2048x2048 in this case). Also, jpg or png is needed. Our programs don't work w/ TIFF.

      Does anyone happen to have such an image pair they could send us? It's just a "proof-of-concept" type project, so we don't need large files. 2^n x 2^n for n = 8,9,10,... is fine. We tried getting pictures from the USGS, GLCF, etc., but can't seem to work with the TIFF formats easily. Also, the pics are either much larger than we need, or if we use the preview pics they are not different resolutions between b/w and color.

      I just thought I'd check and see if anyone had something that would work for us readily available.

      Thanks for any help.

      John Merkel
    • ctriblet
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
        Why not just convert the TIFS to jpg or png?

        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, "johnm" <merkeliii@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I need a panchromatic (b/w) and multispectral (color) picture of the same region. It is for a pansharpening project I am working on with some undergraduate students studying wavelets. The panchromatic image should be higher resolution than the multipectral image. So for instance, if the multispectral is 512x512 then the panchromatic image of the same area should be 1024x1024 or higher (preferable 2048x2048 in this case). Also, jpg or png is needed. Our programs don't work w/ TIFF.
        >
        > Does anyone happen to have such an image pair they could send us? It's just a "proof-of-concept" type project, so we don't need large files. 2^n x 2^n for n = 8,9,10,... is fine. We tried getting pictures from the USGS, GLCF, etc., but can't seem to work with the TIFF formats easily. Also, the pics are either much larger than we need, or if we use the preview pics they are not different resolutions between b/w and color.
        >
        > I just thought I'd check and see if anyone had something that would work for us readily available.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > John Merkel

      • johnm
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
          Thanks for your suggestion ctriblet,

          Well, I must plead some ignorance here, but I installed GIMP and tried to do that. But it apparently could not read the multispectral tiff file. I also downloaded Irfan View, and it also could not read the multispectral file. Both displayed it as entirely black.

          Also, is there a loss in image quality if I convert from tiff? And the images (if I could read them) are apparently not identically situated, so I would need to somehow cut out identical pieces of each (based on lat/long, I guess?), and I'm not sure how to do that.

          So, I just thought that someone may have a pan/ms image pair that they were using for some reason that would work for me.

          If I can get what I need from the tiff files without a whole lot of work I'm willing to do that. But if I'm gonna need to learn to use some new software that has a high learning curve, I probably won't have time for that.

          Thanks,

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
            John,

            You can certainly use Global Mapper to convert the files from a
            multi-spectral TIFF to a RGB JPG or PNG file. You will of course lost the
            extra bands of information in conversion to RGB, but can keep the full
            resolution of the data.