ADD_MEASURE_ATTRS - overlay error

  • Cameron Tylcoat
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi Mike
      I am running Global Mapper 11 and am trying to run a script with
      ADD_MEASURE_ATTRS
      I first import the shape file and then use this command on the same shape file
      to get the areas calculated, which I guess it does in m2 even though the shape
      file is in geographic.
      It returns the error
      Adding/updating measure attributes...
      ERROR: Unable to update overlay
      Even if I use a different output name it has the same error.
      I guess what I would like is a comprehensive pdf (file or different) to read as
      much as I can on numerous subjects relating to my GIS GM questions.
      Besides your help file is there any other documentation I could download.
      Thanks
      Cameron

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
        Cameron,

        Can you show me your script? That error usually means that the FILENAME
        parameter that you provided for the ADD_MEASURE_ATTRS command didn't match a
        loaded file.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
          ________________________________
[...]

          Firstly you were right.
          Suffice to say, sometimes what ones eyes see is not what the computer sees.
          Can I get it to export the area without the text ie as a number?
          Your service is great!!
          Please is there any other documentation besides your help files?
          Regards
          Cameron

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
            Cameron,

            If you go to the Measure Tool in Global Mapper you can right-click to change the measurement units used as well as options like whether or not to append the units as text or to always use the base units. Those options will then be used when you run a script.

            There really isn’t any further documentation available other than what’s in the User’s Manual, although if you visit globalmapperforum.com you can find a large archive of support requests and answers to search.

            support@... <mailto:support%40globalmapper.com>

[...]

              Great it works, but it seems that the method I normally use will then not work
              for me because I frequently run scripts taking many hours and sometimes days in
              the background without running GM at all.
              Will you confirm that in this case I cannot run this option in the background? I
              was looking for a script switch when I asked this question.
              Some data suppliers do not supply a field with eg the polygon area, and some
              provide the area in square degrees, hence my need in certain "bulk" situations
              to do this simultaneously by way of a script written using Delphi.
              Regards
              Cameron

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2010
                Cameron,

                While there is not a way to change the unit settings for measurements in a script, once you set them once in the Global Mapper user interface they will be remembered, so you don’t have to go reset them every time. If you really need a way to do this programmatically I can point you to the registry keys where the settings are stored so you can modify those in your program prior to launching your script (if possible).

                support@... <mailto:support%40globalmapper.com> <mailto:support%40globalmapper.com>

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Hi Mike
                  Is there something I can do in GM given both point and contour data to improve
                  river valleys.
                  It seems triangulation goes across the valley whereas one would somehow like to
                  get it to go down a valley to get a "smoother" river profile, and not a stepped
                  one?
                  Regards
                  Cameron

                  ________________________________

                  From: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>

                  From: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                    Cameron,

                    You really need to add some data points with Z values along the river course so that the triangulation can use those and better define the valley. Without any data there, there really isn’t anything to go on to determine the correct shape.

                    From: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>

                    From: global_mapper@yahoogroups.com <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:global_mapper%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                      If you have a vector file of the river, you might just add the z properties
                      from the dem from that. I think it's an option when you export the river
                      line from GM.
                      My thought would be,
                      1)add z value for the river
                      2)use the river and the dem to create the contours.

                      Perhaps someway to make the river the absolute value - as in the data must
                      conform perfectly to the river. I guess this could apply to creating a tin
                      file as well.

                      On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Global Mapper Support <
                      global_mapper@...> wrote:

                      > Cameron,
                      >
                      > You really need to add some data points with Z values along the river
                      > course so that the triangulation can use those and better define the valley.
                      > Without any data there, there really isn�t anything to go on to determine
                      > the correct shape.

                      > support@... <support%40globalmapper.com>

                    • seldom_sn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                        Do you want to make the valley conform to the river, or the river to the valley? When I used Tiger Line files for hydrography I often had rivers going up cliffs and over the tops of mesas. The rivers were badly drawn. Using NHD High Resolution data fixed that problem.

                        --- In global_mapper@yahoogroups.com, Mike Swope <mswope@...> wrote:

                        > If you have a vector file of the river, you might just add the z properties
                        > from the dem from that. I think it's an option when you export the river
                        > line from GM.
                        > My thought would be,
                        > 1)add z value for the river
                        > 2)use the river and the dem to create the contours.
                        >
                        > Perhaps someway to make the river the absolute value - as in the data must
                        > conform perfectly to the river. I guess this could apply to creating a tin
                        > file as well.
                        >

                        > On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Global Mapper Support <
                        > global_mapper@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Cameron,
                        > >
                        > > You really need to add some data points with Z values along the river
                        > > course so that the triangulation can use those and better define the valley.
                        > > Without any data there, there really isn't anything to go on to determine
                        > > the correct shape.
                        > >

                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Mike
                        > >
                        > > Global Mapper Support
                        > >
                        > > support@... <support%40globalmapper.com>

                      • Cameron Tylcoat
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
                          Hi Mike
                          I am using this script command (ADD_MEASURE_ATTRS) and do not need the LAYER
                          attribute in the dbf at this time.
                          I have experimented in several ways to turn it off for the script command within
                          GM.
                          I cannot find where to turn it off for now.
                          Regards
                          Cameron

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
                            Cameron,

                            Just add INC_LAYER_ATTR=NO to your EXPORT_VECTOR command and that attribute
                            shouldn't get added to the DBF file on export.