Re: Mission 4: Protect the Innocents - Cut Bank, Cut Throat

  • Jonny Rocket
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
      Who: Jake and Curtis Whetu
      Where: Sweetgrass, Montana
      Location: Motel room #13
      When: December, 2007
      Time: 6:15 am (CTZ)

      Curtis was drying his mop of dark hair with a towel, as Jake accepted the breakfast trays
      from room service. He decided it was the better part of valor not to pick at his older
      brother, since he liked his teeth where they were.

      Jake was like a volcano, under the calm exterior was a fire that boiled and bubbled and
      now it was coming to the surface with Rod's death. Sure, he grieved for his kid brother
      too. Wanted to find his killer and bring him to justice, although revenge would do just fine.

      But his older brother felt a guilt on top of everything, that it was some how his fault. Curtis
      understood a little bit, the questions had hit him too. The what ifs and the could have
      beens.

      "Ain't your fault, Jakey. Wasn't anything you could have done, you know that." Curtis
      patted his brother's shoulder as he sat to eat.

      Jake's furrowed brow never cease to remain in that annoyed position, as he poured coffee
      into a mug. "Tell it to mum and dad, think they wanna hear there was nothing anyone
      could have done?" The older Whetu half shoveled his eggs into his mouth and chomped on
      them like they were the enemy.

      The younger Kiwi ran a hand over the back of his neck, much like Jake often did, and
      stared at his older brother. Christ, the man ate like a horse. "Go home, Curtis" Jake
      suddenly said between bites in a low tone.

      "He was my brother too, Jakey. And before you give me the 'I just lost one brother, and
      don't want to lose another' speech again...What makes you think I don't feel the same way,
      eh?" The intelligence agent pursed his mouth for a moment, and looked down at his food.

      Jake reached out and gripped Curtis' neck just at the base of the back of his skull, and
      squeezed it so tightly that his brother thought maybe he was going to throttle him. "Just
      leave the field work to me and my partner, no screwing about trying to play...hero. Okay?"

      A relieved sigh escaped the younger Whetu, even if he wanted to argue that he had done
      field work to his older sibling. Curtis ran a hand along Jake's much more meaty shoulder,
      "You got it, bro..."

      Both resumed plowing into their plates of food, and Curtis glanced over at the locked door
      leading to Angel's room. He looked back at Jake as he was sipping coffee and flatly asked,
      "So, is that the bird you're shacking up with at the home office?"

      Coffee erupted from Jake's mouth if a surprised spray. "W-what? How'd did you...?" he
      sputtered at Curtis.

      His brother smiled around a forkful of eggs, "C'mon, I work in Intelligence....And I'm your
      brother after all."

      Jake ran the back of his hand across his mouth and snorted loudly, "Nah, that ain't her.
      Ramirez is just a friend." A rueful smile crossed his features for a moment, before he
      added, "Nosey ass bastard."

      Curtis smirked and shrugged as if he had no idea what Jake meant. "This Ramirez gotta a
      man?" he asked as he poked at his eggs.

      Another snort escaped Jake, "No, ain't got no man."

      "Good."

      Jake Whetu slugged down what was left of his coffee, and contemplated telling his brother
      he was barking up the wrong tree. Nah, he was Intelligence after all, he would figure it out
      eventually.

      Hell, where was taking Angel so long anyway?

      Jake called out from his chair to the adjoining doors, "Hey Ramirez, c'mon! Your fruit salad
      is getting....fruity!"
    • Cyn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 5, 2008
        Who: Angel Ramirez
        Where: Sweetgrass, Montana
        Location: Motel room #12/13
        When: December
        Time: 6:20 am (MTZ)

        "Hey Ramirez, c'mon! Your fruit salad is getting....fruity!"

        Angel zipped up her bag and turned when she heard Jake's voice. Oh
        shit, she had forgotten about them in her haste.

        Turning and heading into the adjoining room, she saw the two brothers
        were sitting down to a breakfast.

        "We gotta move," Angel said eyeing them quickly. "I just got a call
        from Adams...Roberts is dead. The Swedish bastard clipped her between
        the eyes, which means that your sister-in-law, Adams' daughter and
        Roberts' sister are in Cut Bank, not here in Sweetgrass."

        Angel moved back into her room. She was moving around like lightning,
        grabbing her toiletries bag from the bathroom.

        "We have to get moving, Jake," she shouted from the bathroom as she
        packed up her bag. "Nilsen killed Roberts, and Adams is afraid that
        means that he will also kill Roberts' sister. After all with Roberts
        dead, they don't really need her any more. And they can move faster
        with just two hostages, instead of three."
      • Jonny Rocket
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2008
          Who: The Whetu Brothers
          Where: Sweetgrass, Montana
          Location: Motel room #12/13
          When: December
          Time: 6:30 am (MTZ)

          Roberts was dead, the news hit Jake like a ton of bricks.

          Curtis, oddly enough, was the first one to get moving. "C'mon bro, time to mourn the dead
          later. The living need us now...Eva needs us." He didn't know Roberts personally, he felt
          bad that she died. But he would feel worse if they lost his kid brother's wife.

          "....Yeah...." Jake muttered unconvincingly as he pushed himself away from the table.

          "We have to get moving, Jake," Angel shouted from the bathroom as she packed up her
          bag. "Nilsen killed Roberts, and Adams is afraid that means that he will also kill Roberts'
          sister. After all with Roberts dead, they don't really need her any more. And they can move
          faster with just two hostages, instead of three."

          "Right, Curtis will get the local airport to get us the first flight out" Jake called as he spun
          his laptop toward his younger brother. "Time to pull some goverment weight." The
          younger Whetu tapped away on the keyboard so rapidly that he stood as he worked.

          Jake just literally shoved his clothes into his suitcase, rather than waste time packing.
          Neither brother could fathom how he manage to get everything to fit.

          Curtis booked a flight that was leaving for a city near Cut Bank, they would have to rent a
          car and drive the rest of the way. But it was a damn spot faster than waiting for a direct
          flight.

          "I'm checking us out, grab Ramirez and hussle yer asses down to the lobby." Jake was half
          way out the door as Curtis called out, "Doesn't she have a first name, for god's sake?"

          The older man turned and grinned at his brother, "Angel, but don't get any funny ideas."

          "Just kill all the fun, why don't you" Curtis groused. "Miss Ramirez, you need help with your
          bags?" he called, as he approached the door between the rooms. Time to warm up the old
          Whetu charm, he thought.
        • Kate
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2008
            Who: Rebecca Adams
            Where: somewhere outside Cut Bank, Montana
            When: December
            Time: 6:45 am (MTZ)

            Rebecca hung up the phone. It would take them a few more hours to
            get to her, so she only had to hang on until then. With any luck
            she'd be able to get a lead without getting killed though she knew
            that she was on thin ice, and then her phone rang - it was her ex-
            MIL. She didn't have time for this shit.

            "Jane, I'm sorry, but Trish and I are on our way out. I'll give you
            a call later unless it's something urgent."

            Jane paused, "No, nothing urgent. Just wanted to see when Patricia
            would be getting here. Why don't you give the phone to her while you
            drive. That way we can chat."

            Rebecca grimmaced. This was going from bad to worse. Not only was
            there a team hunting her, her ex-MIL was looking for a chip in her
            armour to exploit. Better to just cut her off.

            "Jane, my phone's about to die. I'll have Trish call when I can.
            Talk to you. <click>

            Ah silence, and a moment of peace. Who could ask for more? Time to
            charge the phone and face the music in Cut Bank.
          • Cyn
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
              Who: Anjela "Angel" Ramirez
              Where: Sweetgrass, Montana
              Location: Motel room #12/13
              When: December
              Time: 6:45 am (MTZ)

              Once Angel delivered the news, she went back inside and zipped up her
              small duffle bag. She had hung up her good suit, which was inside her
              garment bag in the closet and raced to get that.

              "Miss Ramirez, you need help with your bags?" Curtis, Jake's brother,
              called from the doorframe of the adjoining rooms.

              "No," Angel snapped quickly. "You need help with yours?"

              Angel's hands, which had been rolling the garment bag for ease of
              travel paused mid-motion. She sighed and then stood up fully before
              turning to face Curtis.

              "Sorry," she said after a moment. "I just realized how bitchy that
              sounded, and chances are you were probably just being nice. I promise
              I'm not this much of a bitch, it's just...well, you and Jake know
              better than me how important it is we move fast now..."

              Angel turned back, grabbed her bag, which she still didn't need his
              help with, and her sunglasses.

              "To make a long story short, Amigo," she said as she headed for the
              door. "Time is short, so's my patience; I'm not really 100% bitch,
              but I am really 100% lesbian, so you've got zero chance getting me
              between the sheets because I did all my sexual experimenting in
              college, and even if I was willing to try sex with men again, which
              I'm not, it's still too late because I'm in love with my girlfriend.
              Okay, hmm? Good."

              With that, Angel popped on her shades and left the room. "Jake, we
              need to return these room keys, and haul ass for the..." Angel paused
              and glanced back at Curtis. "Which crop duster did you book us on
              anyway, 'cause I know no major airline is gonna fly us the 180 miles
              to Cut Bank?"
            • Jonny Rocket
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
                Who: The Whetu Brothers, Jake and Curtis
                Where: Sweetgrass, Montana
                Location: Sweetgrass airport
                When: December
                Time: 7:00 am (MTZ)

                "What to shittin' hell is dis?!" Jake barked looking over his
                shoulder at Curtis. Before him stood a small one prop private plane
                that looked like it was ten years too late for inspection. "Fer
                christ sake's Curtis, I could steal a whirlybird in bedda shape than
                dis."

                His younger brother began to protest about what did Jake want on such
                short notice?

                "But can you fly it?" came a cocky reply that stopped the younger
                Whetu's comment. It was obviously the pilot, a slightly younger lean
                man with a roguish appearence, he offered the group a lopside smile.

                "Yeah, I can, yah wanker. Probably bedda than you. Jis tell me dis
                bird is faster than she looks." Jake heaved his bag into the cargo
                section, and wasn't falling for any bullshit charm the pilot could
                muster this early in the morning.

                Man, Jakey was madder than a hen. Curtis could tell because his
                accent was out in full force, his older brother never could hide it
                when he was uptight.

                Curtis gave Angel, who he had now moved to just one of the guys
                status after finding out he didn't have any chance with her, a futile
                look. "I think this could get ugly."

                "Whaddayah mean could?! Gid the hell in this crate so we can git
                going." Jake pushed Curtis along to sit in the back seat. "Sorry
                Ramirez, I'll have tah stick you in back wid loverboy. I've got
                shotgun in case Han Solo here ain't all he thinks he is."

                "Hey!" the pilot protested indignantly, as he locked their baggage
                down.

                "Shaddup and gid in that thing!" Jake ordered wanting to waste no
                more time, it wasn't something they could afford.

                This was going to be the longest 180 miles of his life, Curtis
                thought to himself.
              • Cyn
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 29, 2008
                  Who: Angel Ramirez
                  Where: Cut Bank, Montana
                  Location: Cut Bank airport
                  When: December
                  Time: 7:40 am (MTZ)

                  The entire shaky, and by shaky she meant vomit-inducing shaky, ride
                  from Sweetgrass to Cut Bank (a ride in which Angel threw up twice),
                  she had been trying on and off to reach Dr. Adams.

                  Leaving the woman two messages to meet them at the private landing
                  strip in Cut Bank for the charter service, Angel was disappointed
                  that she failed to reach the doctor in person.

                  Angel, of course, thought the worst. After learning about Roberts
                  death and leaving Wilma a message (did no one keep their phones on
                  anymore) telling her what happened, Angel knew that they were all in
                  unguarded territory on this one.

                  What had seemed like a tightly organized rescue had turned into a
                  fiasco. And at every turn she fought the urge to ask, "What more
                  could go wrong?" fear something more would go wrong.

                  As they near the landing strip, Angel pulled out her cell phone,
                  making sure to check that the battery was fully charged and that she
                  had enough bars of reception to make the call, before trying Adams'
                  cell again.
                • Kate
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Who: Rebecca Adams
                    Where: Cut Bank(ish), Montana
                    Location: Just outside Cut Bank
                    When: December
                    Time: 7:50 am (MTZ)

                    Rebecca was getting low on gas and time. Waiting for the phone to
                    ring was never a comfortable thing. It's why she and Doug wouldn't
                    have lasted. He had the lovely disability of not being able to pick
                    up a phone, and not just because of his job. Oh this mistakes of
                    youth. Trish was the best thing that came out of that bad situation,
                    and she'd be damned if she'd be hurt.

                    Rebecca snapped herself back as she approached the Sinclair station,
                    and started filling her car with gas. This was not the time to be
                    lost in thought. Until backup arrived she was the only hope of their
                    family getting out alive.

                    She waited for the car to fill with gas, and kept an eye out for
                    anyone getting close. It was too random for them to have snipers
                    out, but hell who knew what resources they had...

                    When her cell phone rang she jumped, and had to take a few deep
                    breathes to calm herself down. Luckily it wasn't Jane again, it was
                    Angel. Thank God!
                  • Cyn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Who: Angel Ramirez
                      Where: Cut Bank, Montana
                      Location: Cut Bank airport
                      When: December
                      Time: 8 am (MTZ)

                      "No, we're coming in to some rinky dink air strip," Angel practically
                      shouted over her cell to be heard over the plane's engine, which was
                      pretty much right under her tan Hispanic ass.

                      The former NYC cop had finally gotten through to Dr. Rebecca Adams and
                      the two had attempted to coordinate through the sound of the small
                      plane and of Adams pumping gas at the only 24-hour gas station in all
                      of Cut Bank, located off of, yep, you guessed it, Main Street.

                      "Yes, I realize they are all rinky in a town called Cut Bank," she
                      said with a roll of her eyes. She glanced towards the Whetu brothers
                      and got a signal from Curtis.

                      "Looks like we're hitting the ground," Angel said glancing out at the
                      name scrawled on the side of the large barn-like structure that seemed
                      to be the commercial airport.

                      "Douglas Air Strip," Angel read off to Adams. "Half an hour. Fine.
                      We'll be here and we'll be ready."

                      Angel didn't hang up the phone, so much as lose her connection. "Adams
                      is gonna meet us on the ground, so let's get this show on the road,"
                      Angel griped, not happy about the close quarters, the minuscule size
                      of the plane or the fact that time was running very short.

                      She didn't know why, but something in her gut told her that the Swede
                      and Xu would try to make a run for the border that very day!
                    • Kate
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 20, 2008
                        Who: Angie Ramirez & Rebecca Adams
                        Where: Cut Bank, Montana
                        Location: Municipal Airport
                        When: 8:25 am (MST)

                        Angie crossed the small airport's tarmack in only a
                        few strides as she made her way towards the waiting
                        form of Dr. Rebecca Adams. Since the Whetu brothers
                        were lags behind her, she took the opportunity to talk
                        to the doctor as a worried friend, and not as a
                        professional colleagues.

                        "How you holding up, Becca?" the former NYC cop asked,
                        concern written across her face.

                        Rebecca smiled. Where to start? She knew now was not
                        the time to spill her doubts about her ability to stay
                        with the team. There was enough to worry about
                        without adding one more. Besides as soon as the
                        brothers got close they'd have to change to business
                        mode.

                        "I've been better. Already had to fend off a
                        call from the mother-in-law. She's not gonna take the
                        'Trish doesn't want to talk to anyone' excuse for
                        long. If I'm lucky this won't end up in family court
                        again. How bout you?"

                        "Usually, nerves frayed, and dealing with Tweedle-dumb and dumber
                        ain't helpin," Angie said with a thick dose of her Latina Brooklyn
                        accent. Then she sighed. "But you know, they're grieving and worried
                        too, so I cut 'em some slack."

                        Looking back at the brothers made their way over, she gestured for
                        Adams. "C'mon, time's wasting, and we have to get to the border
                        guards. I have a feeling today's the day they are gonna make a run
                        for it, and we've got to get to them before they decide Jessica's
                        sister isn't worth keeping around anymore."

                        Rebecca nodded. "I agree. They have the upper hand, but with any
                        luck we'll be able to flush them out in time."

                        ooc: jp goodness