Mission 11: Hospital of Horrors - PROLOGUE

  • mississppiqueen
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 7, 2011
      Who: Marcy Jones, Wilma Ripley-Whetu, Tad Thomas
      Where: Washington, D.C.
      Location: SOPS HQ
      When: 9:45 PM

      Wilma and Jake had walked into the Underground HQ, hand in hand. Wilma smiled as she punched in the security code outside of the door, where Marcy Jones sat with her hand on her gun, waiting to make sure the codes were accepted. Once the security codes were accepted, and the scans revealed only their service weapons, and that neither Wilma nor Jake were wearing bombs strapped to their bodies, they were allowed access inside the top secret facility.

      Ms. Ripley..." Marcy began standing up from behind her post. Wilma tsked her and then waggled her left hand. Marcy smiled. "I mean Mrs. Ripley-Whetu," she corrected. "The conference room is all set up and ready for you."

      "Thanks, Marcy, who's all here?" Wilma asked taking her husband's hand again.

      "Not everyone, Ma'am, of course with the late notice, but we have the extended team members on secured lines for the conference calls," Marcy said as she walked alongside Wilma into the interior of the Underground HQ.

      "All team members reported in?" Wilma asked nodding and smiling to a few people who hadn't seen her since she left for Australia and the UN G20 Summit.

      "No," Marcy said and Wilma frowned. "Who's MIA?"

      "Tarago," said Tad standing by the door to Wilma's office. Wilma turned and gave Jake a kiss that promised other things later. "I'll see you in the conference room, Babe."

      Then Wilma headed into her office with Tad. "Is he still in the hospital?" Wilma asked. She knew Carlos had been injured badly during the last mission.

      "No, I monitored his recovery the entire two weeks I was in Australia, and he..."

      "You were in Australia for two weeks?" Wilma asked surprised.

      "Yes, after your wedding, I attended a conference and did some back country trekking."

      "What conference?"

      "Uh...A sorta secret underground Hackers Conference," Tad said adjusting his collar. He seemed suddenly uncomfortable. "It was exciting..."

      "I see," Wilma said with a raised eyebrow. "I didn't know you were interested in 'hacking', Tad."

      "Well, it's sort of a long story, and a...uh...friend was already attending, so I uh...err..."

      "Where's Carlos?" Wilma interrupted. She didn't have time for this.

      "He's on assignment for the CIA," Tad said relieved to be off the subject of his previous vacation.

      "Shit, that means we're down a demolitions man," Wilma said leaning back in her chair. "We'll have to tap someone else. Maybe within..."

      "Ah, actually, Seamus is already on that," Tad informed her. Wilma sat back up straight.

      "Oh is he?" she asked.

      "Yes," Tad said. "He has Tammy Johnson bringing in the new recruit now."

      OOC: For more on Tad's adventures in Australia, see the new Files Folder: "Short Stories" featuring stories with SOPS characters!
    • mississppiqueen
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 7, 2011
        Who: Seamus Shaw
        Where: Washington DC
        Location: Global Special OPS Underground HQ
        When: 9:45 pm

        "Okay, now switch it on for Luang, Lien," Seamus said as he and Sarah Lien set up the conference and video conference feeds.

        "Hello? Oh, Mr. Shaw," Wendy gave a faint but rare smile. "Hello sir."

        "Luang?" Seamus said once he saw the Thai woman's face. "Excellent. Lien, we're a go for Luang's laptop. So that makes three so far."

        On the large flat screen hanging on the wall, the screen was split between six options, but only three faces appeared on the screen currently: Pyke's, Luang's and Calvin's. That left Daniel Price, Carlos Tarago, and Diana Bertram to bring in.

        "Did anyone get in touch with Price?" Seamus asked looking back at Angel, who was checking over Tammy's notes. Tammy Johnson had left the room to get a very special new addition to the team.

        "If by anyone, you mean Tammy, no," Angel snapped. Seamus didn't know what had crawled up her hole and laid eggs, but he was tired of the attitude. As he looked back to the screen, he missed Angel's scowl in Winona's direction, where the sniper sat at the table facing Kendall Stone.

        "You sure you want in on this mission, Kendall?" Winona asked concerned over the woman's state of mind. Her long-lost love, recently renewed had been killed on the last mission. It didn't seem like the best time to get back involved in the fray.

        "Leave me alone," Kendall said softly. She didn't want to talk to Winona, or anyone else. She just wanted to get on with the mission.

        Winona leaned back in her chair just as Charles Taylor came rushing in. He looked harried, like he had been driving with the minions of hell on his ass.

        "Chuck, you alright?" Winona asked barely suppressing a laugh.
      • mississppiqueen
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
          Who: Tammy Johnson, Dr. Annie Martin
          Codename: Acetone, Chatterbox
          Where: Washington, DC
          Location: Global OPS HQ
          When: 9:45

          Tammy had hung around waiting for Tad Thomas to arrive, but when he did, he was, of course, attached to the hip of his hacker hottie, Sarah Lien.

          Tammy had had just about enough of this. She was slowly starting to realize that being subtle with Tad wasn't going to get her anywhere, and if she wanted him, that she was going to have to make her move sooner, rather than later.

          And what a more perfect opportunity than the current mission when Sarah Lien would be sent away with the team, and Tad would be left here all alone by himself.

          Tammy was practically tingling with plans to overthrow the Lien Regime, when a female voice came on the line.

          "Hello, Dr. Martin? Dr. Annie Martin," Tammy said quickly. "Hi, my name is Tammy Johnson, our mutual friend, Charlie Tarago told you I'd be calling. I just wanted to let you know, there's a limo waiting downstairs of your hotel room for you. Just get in it and tell the driver, you want to come home. Got that, 'Home'? And he will bring you right to us. I'll see you soon."

          OOC: Tag Kate!
        • Kimmy
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
            Who: Chuck Taylor aka Bad Karma
            Where: Washington DC
            Location: Global Special OPS Underground HQ
            When: 9:45 pm

            Taylor pratically skidded into the back of someone at the meeting as he came high tailing it into the room. Lousy traffic, and pissy security down in the organization's parking lot made the teen sure he was late. And he couldn't afford to look like he was screwing around, even when he was.

            "Chuck, you alright?" Winona asked barely suppressing a laugh.

            The teen gave an embarrassed grin and ran a big hand through his wild hair. She apparently was the only one to see his Tom Cruise sliding stop entrance. "Ain't late am I?" he asked, as with relief he noted there were empty seats and that several of his team mates appeared on screens.

            Chuck waved to the trio, not really expecting a greeting from Luang because she was waaayyyyy serious about stuff. Pyke made him smile as he lamented about not being able to partake in fresh donuts.

            He was about to sit next to Stone, but the expression on her face changed his mind instantly. Angel, who he rather liked, didn't look any happier. So he took a chair next to the Major, at least she found him amusing.

            Sure this was serious business that they did, but there was something hanging in the air. The kind of tension you could cut with a machete. "Man, who pissed in everybody's Cheerios this morning?" Chuck asked Winona in a low tone.
          • Christopher
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 12, 2011
              Who: Captain Daniel Price
              Where: Washington DC
              Location: Global Special OPS Underground HQ
              When: 9:45 pm

              Price had nothing better to do than make this meeting. He took his 1970 burnt orange Hemi Challenger, one of many in his car collection, to the headquarters. What time was he to be there again? He always seemed to be late to these things. As he rushed down the hallway, remembering which way to go, since he usually had a great sense of direction. Finally, he entered the meeting room. "Sorry, I'm--"

              Sure this was serious business that they did, but there was something hanging in the air. The kind of tension you could cut with a machete. "Man, who pissed in everybody's Cheerios this morning?" Chuck asked Winona in a low tone.

              Daniel furrowed his brown. "Late?" He wondered what was going on, but did not bother asking. He moved toward his seat, labeled with his name tag. He did not say much more. Instead, he let the other continue with their current conversation.
            • Dipthor The Mitey
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 13, 2011
                Who: Jason Calvin
                Codename: Gears
                Where: Washington DC
                Location: Global Special OPS Underground HQ
                When: 9:45 pm

                Gears exited the plane and met his ride to the HQ.  He hadn't been told anything about the mission yet, but that makes sense when he wasn't 100% sure his phone line was secure.

                The car stopped and he exited.  He wondered who had shown up already as he made his way to the conference room, trying not to think of who wasn't going to be there.  He made his way through all the security checks and reached the door to the conference room.  Sighing, he opened it and entered.

                "Hey guys," he said as he entered.

              • mississppiqueen
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Special OPS Team - Jake Whetu, Anjela Ramirez, Charles "Chuck" Taylor, Kendall Stone, Jason Calvin, Wendy Luang, Seamus Shaw, Sarah Lien, P. Tony Pyke, Wilma Ripley-Whetu, and Winona Chase

                  Codenames: Ahab, Angel, Bad Karma, Cat, Gears, Ghost, Irish, Pandora, Patch, The Suit, and Two-Tribes

                  Where: Underground UN HQ, Washington, DC
                  Location: Conference Room or via sattelite
                  Time: Wednesday, 10 pm

                  With everyone arrived, who was going to be arrived, and knowing that other team members would be joining them later, Seamus knew it was time to start the meeting. He had only briefly discussed the mission with Wilma before the meeting was slated to start. Both Seamus and Wilma had their people securing various parts of the mission.

                  Tammy was securing the rest of the personnel issues, such as getting the entire team an invitation to the "seminar" that was suddenly being booked in Vancouver, while Tad was working on logistics, such as getting the Global OPS jet fueled and arranging hotel rooms for everyone.

                  Since it was all last-minute, some compromises obviously would have to be made.

                  "Okay Team," Seamus said beginning the meeting at Wilma's nod. She was refilling her coffee mug before taking her seat near the middle of the table, between where Seamus was standing, and Jake. Standing at the middle was the only way to ensure that those attending the meeting via satellite could see everyone fully.

                  "We have to move fast on this one," Seamus continued once Wilma retook her seat. "Earlier today we had a tip off from the US Surgeon General's office that the World Health Organization's new International Aid Hospital in Vancouver is about to come under
                  attack from a radical anti-health care group known as GHILL."

                  "That's the Global Health International Liberation League," Wilma supplied looking at each team member.

                  "Yes, we've had problems with them before in Ireland," added Seamus. "Sarah, if you wouldn't mind?"

                  Suddenly a file appeared on the computer screens embedded in the conference room table, and on the laptops of all the secured lines of the team members viewing the meeting remotely.

                  "The following file includes names of all known associates of GHILL, and suspected as well as confirmed terrorist encounters with them," Wilma added.

                  "Their charter seems to be to bring all medical knowledge to all peoples, even if it means stealing it, or killing for it."

                  "Okay, this says that the group believes that the world's superpower nations are keeping the truth from behing revealed?" Angel read from her open file. "What truth is that?"

                  "That all diseases are man-made, and worse, that there is a common progenitor for everything from AIDS to Ebola," Seamus said.

                  Angel scoffed. "Anyone who knew any science could tell you that's bunk," she said. "And this organization seems to have some legitimate men and women of science enrolled in its official membership. Such bullshit?"

                  "GHILL is no joke, Angel," Wilma said. "They've planted bombs at AIDS conferences in Kenya and Paris, and another explosive device at a Children's Cancer Center in Brazil."

                  "Wait, I remember that, 34 people were killed in the Kenyan attack, including a friend of mine's brother," Angel said remember the explosion from 4 years ago.

                  "Exactly. On the surface, GHILL just looks like any other protest organization;" Seamus said. "In fact, they staged a radical protests in the UK last year that held a population of over 45,000 people."

                  "Wait, GHILL, now I remember them," Kendall Stone said. Wilma was glad Kendall came out of her funk long enough to particupate in the conversation. "These were the assholes who set those AIDS-infect monkeys loose in Algiers last year."

                  "The one and the same," Seamus said with a sigh. "The body count on that outbreak was low, thankfully, but GHILL finally made it on the Most Wanter list for most countries."

                  "So what's the mission here?" asked Winona, not understanding what she or any of the team member was expected to do?

                  "The information that we received from the Surgeon General's office was incomplete, but it was enough to let us know that in the next week, GHILL will be attacking the Vancouver Medical Complex in Canada. We don't know how, by bomb or what. But we have a rough time estimate and a frame of reference for past GHILL tactics," Wilma explained to the former sniper.

                  "We're going to set up a strategic plan of attack that involves false identities, both for inside and outside the hospital," Seamus explained. "Each of you will assume a false identity: doctor, nurse, patient, administrator, janitorial services, or a member of the World Health Organization itself. We will find out what GHILL has planned and we will stop them."

                  Seamus paused and looked around. "Any questions?"
                • simmingheather
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 14, 2011
                    Special OPS Team - Jake Whetu, Anjela Ramirez, Charles "Chuck" Taylor, Kendall Stone, Jason Calvin, Wendy Luang, Seamus Shaw, Sarah Lien, P. Tony Pyke, Wilma Ripley-Whetu, and Winona Chase

                    Codenames: Ahab, Angel, Bad Karma, Cat, Gears, Ghost, Irish, Pandora, Patch, The Suit, and Two-Tribes

                    Where: Underground UN HQ, Washington, DC
                    Location: Conference Room or via sattelite
                    Time: Wednesday, 10:15 pm

                    "The information that we received from the Surgeon General's office was incomplete, but it was enough to let us know that in the next week, GHILL will be attacking the Vancouver Medical Complex in Canada. We don't know how, by bomb or what. But we have a rough time estimate and a frame of reference for past GHILL tactics," Wilma explained to the former sniper.

                    "We're going to set up a strategic plan of attack that involves false identities, both for inside and outside the hospital," Seamus explained. "Each of you will assume a false identity: doctor, nurse, patient, administrator, janitorial services, or a member of the World Health Organization itself. We will find out what GHILL has planned and we will stop them."

                    Seamus paused and looked around. "Any questions?"

                    "Yes, I have one," Luang said after thoughtfully listening in. "Most of us have no training in medicine and, for that matter, acting. We all aren't Ms Bertram..." Luang trailed off and tried to find the mistress of disguise on the screen. "Is Chameleon there?"
                  • Fetty
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 14, 2011
                      Special OPS Team - Jake Whetu, Anjela Ramirez, Charles "Chuck" Taylor, Kendall Stone, Jason Calvin, Wendy Luang, Seamus Shaw, Sarah Lien, P. Tony Pyke, Wilma Ripley-Whetu, and Winona Chase

                      Codenames: Ahab, Angel, Bad Karma, Cat, Gears, Ghost, Irish, Pandora, Patch, The Suit, and Two-Tribes

                      Where: Underground UN HQ, Washington, DC
                      Location: Conference Room or via sattelite
                      Time: Wednesday, 10:15 pm

                      Jake had done some intelligence gathering before his career as a SEAL was cut short. Don't draw attention, and that was all they really had to do. He hated backing Seamus up, but personal feelings had to be left out of a job.

                      "Just gotta' use the fine art of blending in, and go with the flow" he replied to Luang. "Sure the higher ups know what everyone's limitations are, and will assign our covers accordingly" Jake tried to reassure his team mates.

                      Most of the members probably did some kind of under cover work where they had to go native on some level. Hell, even the kid with all his car stealing days probably had to sneak into a prep school or something to find a nice shiny BMW.

                      "But we can't get blindsided with only half the intel on GHILL. I don't want to get caught up in a 21st century plague" the pilot grunted thinking about how bad things turned out in Alaska becuase lack of information.
                    • goysu
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 8 7:24 PM
                        FOUR WEEKS LATER...

                        Who: Diana Bertram
                        Where: London, England
                        Location: Doctor's office
                        When: 8:45 a.m.

                        The small girl looked at Diana with big bright eyes. Diana smiled at her, then asked, "What is your name?"

                        The girl gave her a sad look then turned to the woman sitting next to her, signing. "She is deaf," the woman said.

                        "Oh, I am sorry," Diana frowned at her stupidity. "I wasn't thinking--"

                        The woman smiled. "It's okay, you're not the first person to think she can  hear." She signed to the girl, who turned to Diana and signed to her. Diana gave the girl a confused look. "Oh, you can't sign?"

                        Diana shook her head. "How did you know?"

                        "I could tell you were reading my lips," the woman replied, smiling. "How long has it been?"

                        "A little more than a month." Diana wasn't going to go into how she lost her hearing. Her ears started ringing not long after the explosion in Sydney during her last mission with the SOPS team. Two days later, when she was lying in the hospital, she couldn't hear much of anything. She hid it well, learning quickly to read lips and nod at the right moments. Her doctor told her hearing aids wouldn't help her, and she resigned herself to the fact she would be deaf for the rest of her life. A few days ago her doctor mentioned implants, that she might benefit from them. So here she was in the waiting room, waiting for her appointment.

                        "How long has she been deaf?" she asked the woman.

                        "Jordan was born with hearing, but she was so ill her first year. She spent most of it in hospital, one of her infections took away her hearing." The woman sighed and looked in the receptionist's direction. "The doctor told me she might benefit from cochlear implants, but I don't know. I raise her on my own, I can barely afford to stay away from my job--"

                        Diana gave the bright-eyes girl a smile. "We can't have that, can we?" Then she looked at her mother, "I'll take care of everything."

                        "Oh no, I can't--" The woman was surprised at the offer.

                        "I insist, please. Your daughter should have her hearing returned to her."

                        "I can't accept, Miss--what is your name?"

                        "Diana?" A tall, slender man with black hair and dark blue eyes came to touch her on the shoulder. "You should have told me you were here." Then he looked at the woman. "Victoria? What are you doing here?"

                        "I came to tell the doctor Jordan can't have the operation," Victoria answered, frowning. "This is the woman you have been seeing, James?"

                        "So this is your sister, James?" Diana asked.

                        Inspector James Parker-Scott apologized to both women. "I apologize I didn't introduce you two earlier." Then he made the introductions, including the bright-eyed girl, Jordan.

                        "I'm sorry, Miss Bertram, but I cannot accept your charity," Victoria said.

                        Diana shook her head. "I could do no less for the sister of the man I love, Miss Ross."

                        James smiled at them, then signed to Jordan, How would you like to hear again?

                        Jordan smiled, her big bright eyes sparkling.