Re: Mission One (in progress): Breakfast

  • alabama_ace_2004
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2006
      Country: International Waters
      Region: Enroute to Africa(Atlantic Ocean)
      Location: SOPS Boeing 747(Kitchenette area)
      Time: 5:15 am (New York)/11:15 pm(Capetown Africa)

      Kade took his glass of orange juice from Carlos. "Thanks." Then he
      moved back to Diana.

      "Fine," she answered quietly. She paused for a moment, then
      added, "We
      need to talk--privately. I feel I must explain about last night."

      Kade furrowed his brow for a second thinking about what she wanted
      to talk about. Then he lightly smiled. "Only if you want to. I'm
      willing to listen to anything you have to say. Want to take this
      down to the lounge? It's more private."

      <tag> Diana
    • goysu
      Message 36 of 36 , May 4, 2006
        Country: International Waters
        Region: Enroute to Africa(Atlantic Ocean)
        Location: SOPS Boeing 747(Lounge area)
        Time: 5:35 am (New York)/11:35 am(Capetown Africa)

        Diana wasn't hopeful when she saw the look in Dr. Adams' eyes when she
        left the lounge. Not unpacking much had been a good thing, she
        thought, since this was going to be a short mission for her. The only
        thing she would miss was walking into the lounge as the doctor left.

        Kade looked at the doctor and smiled with a slight nod. Then he sat
        down across from Diana, giving her a curious look as he looked into
        her green eyes. "You wanted to talk?" he asked in a soft tone of
        voice. "I'm willing to listen, unless you have talked enough about
        things with Dr. Adams. We can always do this another time."

        Diana noticed Jesse Roberts entering the lounge, a person she didn't
        want to meet at that moment. She led Kade upstairs to the smaller
        lounge, where she had seen Roberts working out. There she sat down,
        and Kade sat across from her.

        "No, Kade," Diana answered. "Dr. Adams is right. I need to talk this
        out—" Then she smiled, "—or else I am going to be out on my ear." Then
        she paused for a moment, pondering how to approach this. She was about
        to tell a total stranger what had brought her to this team, tell him
        about a life she hadn't even told her therapist.

        When Diana finally spoke, her voice was serious, as was the look in
        her green eyes. "My parents were murdered, and I spent two years
        tracking down their killers. While I was tracking down the killers, I
        learned to disguise myself."

        Kade leaned in closer to her with his hands together and his arms on
        his thighs. "What happened? Did you find your parents' killers?"
        Kade was concerned. He was blown back by this kind of thing from a
        beautiful woman.

        Diana nodded. "I found the killers, took care of all of them. I had my
        Baretta pointed at his head, but I couldn't kill him. I turned him
        over to Scotland Yard." She sighed again and continued, "I found
        justice, but I didn't feel better about it. I was not happy with what
        I had become, and my parents were still dead."

        She paused again, then she finished, "Maybe that is why I am here, to
        find justice for others, those who can't find it themselves."

        "Well, it takes a mighty person to track down their parent's killers,"
        Kade said staring into her green eyes, which captured him completely.
        "It takes someone mightier to not kill them. You did what was
        right." Kade paused. "You're starting to sound like some kind of
        super hero," he smiled.

        Diana blushed. "I am not a superhero, Kade, and I never intended to
        gain a reputation as a mistress of disguise. It just happened."

        "Well, Miss Diana, if it had never happened, then I don't think you
        would be here," Kade said with a lighter tone. "And that's something
        I can't imagine."

        Diana sensed he knew where Kade was going with his lighter tone, and
        she had to stop it before she got into more trouble. "It was
        definitely something I never planned," she answered, smiling but with
        a serious look in her eyes. Then the smile disappeared, "And it was
        something that didn't help me deal with my emotions."

        "What emotions are you talking about?" Kade asked wondering what she
        meant. "Anger? hatred?"

        Diana shook her head. "Those I left three months ago when I turned the
        leader over to Scotland Yard," she replied. She hesitated a moment,
        then she made a statement she should have made to Dr. Adams, "No, I
        never really mourned my parents."

        "Well, I never mourned my father," Kade said with the most solemn
        expression on his face. He paused and thought back on the day he
        found out about the life his father lived.

        Diana was surprised, realizing her instincts had been right. She had
        sensed an understanding from him from the start and it turned out to
        be right. She wondered what kind of life Kade's father led, but she
        couldn't pry. She had put her life out in the open--to everyone--but
        she couldn't insist on Kade doing the same thing.

        "I am sorry, Kade," she said, but now she knew he understood what she
        was going through. He could be a good person to talk to, but for now
        she had to maintain a professional rapport with Kade Williams.

        She looked up when she heard the captain's announcement, "Ah, this is
        Captain Kurk. I just wanted to let you fine folks know that we're on
        approach to the airstrip near Johannesburg. We'll be touching down in
        less than 15 minutes, so everyone please pack up and secure your
        things and proceed to the upstairs crash cabin."

        Diana stood up, "Thank you for listening to me, Kade," she said.

        Kade stood up showing along with her out of respect. He smiled at
        her. "You're welcome. Anytime you need an ear or guidance, I'm here
        for you."

        Diana let Kade lead the way down the stairs, then they separated so
        they could pack up. They met each other again in the crash room, where
        everyone was finding a seat for the landing. She looked at the
        handsome mercenary, hoping she wasn't kicked off the team. Then she
        would probably never see Kade Williams again.