[GlobalPeaceWalk] Thomas Banyacya, Hopi, 1910-1999

  • David Crockett Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 1999
      On February 6, 1999, the world lost one of its leading messengers, for
      nonviolence and the spiritual reawakening necessary to change the course of
      human history off of the path towards total destruction and onto the path
      towards true peace and harmony among all life, with the passing of 89 year
      old Hopi Prophecy spokesman Thomas Banyacya. A sunrise memorial service
      organized by the International Indian Treaty Council will be held at 6:30AM
      in San Francisco on Sunday, February 28, 1999, at the top of Bernal Hill at
      the south end of Folsom Street. Details at 415-641-4482.

      Inspired by the great Hopi Elder Yukiuma whom he regarded as "The Hopi
      Gandhi", Banyacya spent seven years in prison in the 1940's because of his
      steadfast conscientious objection to registering for military service.
      After the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was seen by the Hopi
      spiritual leaders as a fulfillment of their ancient prophecies about "the
      gourd of ashes falling on the Earth two times", in December of 1948, those
      leaders from the various Hopi villages and religious societies met for the
      first time in history to compare their previously secret knowledge as per
      their ancient instructions handed down through the generations. Banyacya
      was commissioned at that meeting to bring to the outside world the Message
      of Peace and the warnings for humanity revealed at this meeting. For the
      rest of his life he firmly held true to this commitment, despite hardships
      and criticisms, and traveled widely to carry their message and in the
      process helped to inspire the revival of the traditional Indigenous American
      cultures over the past decades. Devoting himself totally to this mission,
      he still lived a simple lifestyle and he and his family survived as best
      they could in the traditional ways with some help from the minimal donations
      of people who supported his work.

      Banyacya felt that his life's mission was fulfilled, after decades of
      unsuccessful attempts, when he was able to bring the Hopi message and
      spokesmen to the United Nations (the "house of mica" predicted by the Hopi
      prophecies) to deliver their messages in 1992 and 1993 in the context of the
      gathering of global indigenous leaders who came on the occasion of the
      United Nations designation of 1993 as the International Year of the World's
      Indigenous Peoples and 1995-2004 as the International Decade of the World's
      Indigenous Peoples.

      His message was simple yet still inscrutable to the mind of "Western
      Civilization", that all of the problems of modern society are rooted in an
      error in human thinking clouded by attachments to the world of material
      comforts and that to solve all of these problems we only have to reawaken
      spiritually to the innate human/spiritual relationship to all life as our
      relations, and to all people as one human race. He was convinced that the
      simple spiritually focused lifestyle is the only one which will survive in
      these times of increasing wars, violence and even natural disasters brought
      on by this error in human thinking. His life was an inspiration, for so
      very many people, to respect the ancient wisdom of the traditional
      indigenous cultures of our beloved Mother Earth. Decades before scientists
      recognized the currently evident signs of global climate change he was
      warning that the actions of industrial society would bring on the calamities
      we now see all around the world with increasingly devastating storms,
      earthquakes, etc. Society would be well advised to heed this widsom and
      take action before it is too late.

      Included below is one of his landmark documents, within which is coded the
      essence of the traditional teachings of the message of peace, which he
      called "The Hopi Declaration of Peace". If one were to meditate on its
      deepest significance the simplicity of the message of peace, and how to
      implement it, will become clearer. Also included below is a document called
      "The Essence of Hopi Prophecy" composed by someone in consultation with the
      Hopi Elders whom Banyacya represented as their traditional messenger. He
      taught a generalized meaning of the word Hopi, as any people who truly live
      as "peaceful people".

      The greatest tragedy of his passing is that the many documents he has
      produced and accumulated over the years have not yet reached general pubic
      attention, but with the capability of the internet today perhaps his wife
      and children will get the help that they need to bring out these teachings
      into this realm of modern communications. They may still be reached as
      Banyacya, PO Box 112, Kykotsmovi, AZ, 86034.
      ============================

      THE HOPI DECLARATION OF PEACE

      It is in the Power of the True Hopi People to unify the minds and spirits of
      all true peace seeking peoples of the earth...

      "Hopi" means "Peaceful People"... and the truest and greatest power is the
      strength of Peace...because Peace is the Will Of The Great Spirit...

      But do not think that just because the True Hopi People have been told by
      the Great Spirit never to take up arms... that the True Hopi People will not
      fight... even die for what we know to be the right way of Life.

      The True Hopi People Know how to fight without killing or hurting...

      The True Hopi People Know how to fight with Truth and Positive Force In The
      Light Of The Great Spirit...

      The True Hopi People Know how to Educate by clear thoughts... good
      pictures...and by carefully chosen words...

      The True Hopi People Know how to show to all the world's Children the True
      Way of Life by setting an example... by working and communicating in a way
      that reaches the minds and hearts of all people who are truly seeking the
      methods of a simple and spiritual Life which is the only Life that will
      survive...

      THE TRUE HOPI PEOPLE PRESERVE THE SACRED KNOWLEDGE
      ABOUT THE WAY OF THE EARTH BECAUSE THE TRUE HOPI PEOPLE
      KNOW THAT THE EARTH IS A LIVING...GROWING PERSON... AND ALL
      THINGS ON IT ARE HER CHILDREN...

      The True Hopi People Know how to show the Right Way of Life to all the
      world's people who have ears to listen... who have eyes to see... and who
      have hearts to understand these things...

      The True Hopi People Know how to generate enough Power to link up the
      forces of the Minds and Spirits of all the True Children of the Earth ...
      and to Unify them with the Positive Force of the Great Spirit so that they
      may put an end to affliction and persecution in all afflicted places in this
      world...

      THE TRUE HOPI PEOPLE DECLARE THAT HOPI POWER BE A FORCE
      WHICH WILL BRING ABOUT WORLD CHANGE.

      Thomas Banyacya
      PO Box 112
      Kykotsmovi, AZ 86034

      ========================

      The Essence of Hopi Prophecy

      _____________________________
      The entire Hopi Prophecy usually
      takes many days to tell, and many
      life times to fully understand. This is
      a short summary of essential points.
      _____________________________

      The Balance of Life

      As caretakers of life we affect the balance of nature to such a degree that
      our own actions determine whether the great cycles of nature bring
      prosperity or disaster. Our present world is the unfoldment of a pattern we
      set in motion.

      Our divergence from the natural balance is traced to a point preceding the
      existence of our present physical form.. Once we were able to appear and
      disappear at will, but through our own arrogance we took our procreative
      powers for granted and neglected the plan of the creator. As a consequence
      we became stuck in our physical form, dominated by a continual struggle
      between our left and right sides, the left being wise but clumsy, and the
      right being clever and powerful but unwise, forgetful of our original
      purpose.

      The Cycle of Worlds

      This suicidal split was to govern the entire course of our history through
      world after world. As life resources diminished in accord with the cycles of
      nature, we would try to better our situation through our own inventions,
      believing that any mistakes could be corrected through further inventions.
      In our cleverness, most of us would lose sight of our original purpose,
      become involved in a world of our own design, and ultimately oppose the
      order of the universe itself, becoming the mindless enemy of the few who
      would still hold the key to survival.

      In several previous worlds the majority have advanced their technology in
      this way, even beyond what we know today. The consequent violations against
      nature and fellow humans caused severe imbalances which were resolved in the
      form of war, social disintegration and natural catastrophe.

      As each world reached the brink of annihilation, there remained a small
      minority who had managed to live in nearly complete accord with the infinite
      plan, as implied in the name, Hopi. Toward the final stages they would find
      themselves beset with signs of disintegration within, as well as enticing
      offers and severe threats from without, aimed toward forcing them to join
      the rest of the world.

      Our Present World

      Our common ancestors were among the small group who miraculously
      emerged from the last world as it reached its destruction, though they too
      were tainted with corruption. The seeds of the crisis we face today were
      brought with us when we first set foot in this world. Upon reaching our
      present world, our ancestors set out on a long migration to meet the Great
      Spirit in the form of Maasauu, the caretaker of this land and all that lives
      upon it. They followed a special pattern, however a very serious omen
      made a separate journey necessary, in order to balance the extreme
      disorder anticipated for the later days.

      The True White Brother

      A Hopi of light complexion, now known as the "true white brother," left the
      group and travelled in the direction of rising sun, taking with him a stone
      tablet which matches a similar tablet held by one of those who went on to
      meet Maasauu at a place called Oraibi, where the present Hopi villages
      were established according to his instructions.

      The Hopi anticipated the arrival of a race of lightskinned people from the
      east, predicting many of their inventions , which would serve as signs
      indicating certain stages in the unfoldment of the pattern the Hopi had
      studied from antiquity. It was clearly foreseen that the visitors, in their
      cleverness, might lose sight of their original purpose, in which case they
      would be very dangerous. Still the Hopi were to watch for one who has
      not left the spiritual path, and carries the actual stone tablet.

      The Swastika and the Sun

      Through countless centuries the Hopi have recalled in their ceremonies the
      previous worlds, our emergence to the present world, and our purpose in
      cominghere. Periodically they have renewed their vow with Maasauu to
      live the simple, humble way of life he laid out for them, and to preserve
      the balance of nature for the sake of all living things. The knowledge of
      worldeventshas been handed down in secret religious societies who keep
      watch as each stage unfolds.

      The leaders watched especially for a series of three world-shaking events,
      accompanied by the appearance of certain symbols that describe the
      primordial forces that govern all life, from the sprouting of a seed to
      global movements such as weather, earthquakes, migrations and wars.

      The gourd rattle is a key symbol. A gourd signifies seed force. The shaking
      of the gourd rattle in ceremonies means the stirring of life forces. On the
      rattle are drawn the ancient symbols of swastika, showing the spirals of
      force sprouting from a seed in four directions, surrounded by a ring of red
      fire, showing the encircling penetration of the sun's warmth which causes
      the seed to sprout and grow.

      The first two world-shaking events would involve the forces portrayed by the
      swastika and the sun. Out of the violence and destruction of the first, the
      strongest elements would emerge with still greater force to produce the
      second event. When the actual symbols appeared it would be clear that
      this stage of the prophecy was being fulfilled.

      The Gourd Full of Ashes

      Eventually a "gourd full of ashes" would be invented, which if dropped from
      the sky would boil the oceans and burn the land, causing nothing to grow
      there for many years. This would be the signal for a certain Hopi to bring
      out his teachings in order to warn the world that the third and final event
      would happen soon, and that it could bring an end to all life unless people
      correct themselves and their leaders in time.

      Hopi leaders now believe the first two events were the first and second
      world wars, and the "gourd full of ashes" is the atomic bomb. After the
      bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, teachings formerly kept secret
      were compared and released to the world. The details presented here
      are part of those teachings.

      The Day of Purification

      The final stage, called the " great day of purification, " has also been
      described as a "mystery egg," in which the forces of the swastika and the
      sun, plus a third force symbolized by the color red, culminate either in
      total rebirth, or total annihilation - we don't yet know which, but the
      choice is
      ours. War and natural catastrophe may be involved. The degree of violence
      will be determined by the degree of inequity caused among the peoples of
      the world and in the balance of nature. In this crisis, rich and poor will
      be forced to struggle as equals to survive.

      That it will be very violent is now almost taken for granted among
      traditional Hopi, but man may still lessen the violence by correcting his
      treatment of nature and fellow man. Ancient spiritually-based communities,
      such as the Hopi, must especially be preserved and not forced to abandon
      their wise way of life and the natural resources they have vowed to protect.

      The Fate of Mankind

      The Hopi play a key role in the survival of the human race, through their
      vital communion with the unseen forces that hold nature in balance, as an
      example of a practical alternative to the suicidal man-made system, and
      as a fulcrum of world events. The pattern is simple. "The whole world will
      shake and turn red and turn against those who are hindering the Hopi."

      The man-made system now destroying Hopi is deeply involved in similar
      violations throughout the world. The devastating reversal predicted in the
      prophecies is part of the natural order. If those who thrive from that
      system, its money and its laws, can manage to stop it from destroying
      Hopi, then many may be able to survive the day of purification and enter
      a new age of peace. But if no one is left to continue the Hopi Way, then
      the hope for such an age is in vain.

      The forces we must face are formidable, but the only alternative is
      annihilation. Still the man-made system cannot be corrected by any
      means that requires one's will to be forced upon another, for that is
      the source of the problem. If people are to correct themselves and their
      leaders, the gulf between the two must disappear. To accomplish this
      one can only rely on the energy of truth itself.

      This approach, which is the foundation of the Hopi way of life, is the
      greatest challenge a mortal can face. Few are likely to accept it. But once
      peace is established on this basis, and our original way of life is allowed
      to flourish, we will be able to use our inventive capacity wisely, to
      encourage rather than threaten life, and benefit everyone rather than
      giving advantage to a few at the expense of others. Concern for all living
      things will far surpass personal concerns, bringing greater happiness
      than could formerly be realized. Then all living things shall enjoy lasting
      harmony.
      ---------------
      Written by Thomas V. Tarbet, Jr., and reviewed by a traditional messenger.
      All rights concerning this publication are reserved by the author, with the
      exception that it may be copied or transmitted by any means, provided
      nothing is added or deleted, and provided it is not sold.
      IF YOU VALUE THE DESTINY OF FUTURE GENERATIONS MORE THAN PERSONAL WELFARE,
      PLEASE MAKE SURVIVAL OF THE HOPI
      WAY YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN, AND LET THE SUCCESSFUL
      RESOLUTION OF THEIR PLIGHT AT THE HANDS OF THE INDUSTRIAL
      WORLD BE YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND GREATEST
      PLEASURE.
      For Further Information
      Hopi contacts: Techqua Ikachi Publications
      Box 174, Hotevilla, AZ. 86030

      Thomas Banyaca, Interpreter
      Box 112, Oraibi, AZ. 86039
      ================

      The above is offered in memory of a dear, sweet, peaceful, and gentle man,
      by

      David Crockett Williams gear2000@...
      http://www.angelfire.com/on/GEAR2000

      PS: Thomas Banyacya also had a poignant sense of humor. When he visited
      Santa Barbara in January 1990 for the Rainbow Uprising Campaign events,
      while talking to some young people, he observed "I think those people in the
      United States Government made some mistakes, and a mistake in spelling on
      their dollar bill. When the white people came they went everywhere digging
      up the earth to find gold. On the dollar bill it says 'In God We Trust' but
      I think that they misspelled that and they left the 'l' out of 'In Gold We
      Trust'".

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/global-peace-walk