New blog entry! Guest blogger! "Outisders Looking In: A Family's Journey of Prosopagnosia"

  • Glenn Alperin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2013
      Hello everybody!

      I just published my first blog entry with a guest blogger.

      Whitney Wallace contacted me after reading my blog. She told me that she found my
      blog particularly informative and helpful since her child had just recently been
      diagnosed with prosopagnosia. At the very end of her message, she told me that if
      there was anything she could do to help getting the word out about prosopagnosia,
      she really wanted to be a part of that. I responded by inviting her to write a
      guest blog entry. She took up my offer, and after about a week and a half of
      writing, revising, and editing, both of us feel very satisfied with the results.

      I chose the title "Outsiders Looking In". In a strange sort of way, Mrs. Wallace's
      family's journey was largely about a search for answers for her and her husband.
      In this case, they are the outsiders, and their son is the insider knowing what it
      is like to live with and experience prosopagnosia. It is a bit of a twist on how
      I personally feel as a person with prosopagnosia trying to interact with the world.
      While I often feel like an outsider, I know that those who are close to me have
      worked very hard to try to understand my way of being, but as hard as they try,
      there is only so much they can really "get me". Although I may feel like an
      outsider looking in to society, surely, people without prosopagnosia must feel
      like they are outsiders looking in on the experiences of people with prosopagnosia.

      I hope you enjoy Mrs. Wallace's thoughts, experiences, and her writing. I also wish
      to thank her again for her contribution. It was truly a pleasure working with her
      on this project.

      You can read her blog entry here:
      http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/face/201305/outsiders-looking-in-familys-journey-prosopagnosia

      Feel free to address comments to her directly (her email address is at the end
      of the blog entry), or write comments on the blog entry itself. Unless your comments
      are particularly personal in nature, I think it might be better for everybody if you
      post any comments you may have on the blog entry itself. She and I will both be
      looking over comments, and one of us will respond appropriately.

      As always, thank you all for reading and being interested in my blog. It is an
      honor for me to blog for Psychology Today, but it truly makes it all worthwhile
      when I get feedback from others. Mrs. Wallace is simply the latest of examples
      of this happening since I began blogging.

      Glenn Alperin
      blankface@...