Something New

  • alternate_dph
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
      I worked up a new function for one my programs: it takes the info in
      PIX files and makes an HTML table with the graphics for each tile in
      each cell. Yea, I know it only displays the map, but that's the best
      I can do.

      These may take a while to load:

      http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN250.html <- Overview of my
      Contest entry
      http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN116.html <- Overview of the
      The Brag
      http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN0389.html <- One of Telivido's
      Scenarios

      I can readjust the program to use a different kind of file (using
      something other than GIFs), but it's a start.

      I'm not quite sure how to make the white horizontal lines disappear.
      I've specified the code for the tables to have NO borders whatsoever.

      Anyways, if anybody wants more maps done in this matter, let me know.

      [Now, if only somebody knew how to do the graphic addition in a
      program, it would like a lot better.]

      If anybody wants to look at my code, I'll publish it. Otherwise, I
      won't bother.
    • Patrick Wong
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
        Like I said before... just apply to be a full member
        of the Snowstorm project already!

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • alternate_dph
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
          --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wong <SSFSX17@Y...> wrote:
          > Like I said before... just apply to be a full member
          > of the Snowstorm project already!

          I'm looking for feedback from this group about the quality of the
          process. I've already contributed lots of of stuff to SNowstorm
          Project.
        • Patrick Wong
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
            I haven't seen you actually go look in the source and
            finish a feature request, though.

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Jonathan Maltezo
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
              We need to find some programmers who could help in the development of gladiators!

              I bet that Gladiators would become very popular if it became an online game (or an mmorpg) for that instance.

              Let's all start looking for programmers, maybe then we'll be able to finish something even better then the original.

            • Patrick Wong
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                --- Jonathan Maltezo <jonmaltezo@...> wrote:

                > We need to find some programmers who could help in
                > the development of gladiators!
                >
                > I bet that Gladiators would become very popular if
                > it became an online game (or an mmorpg) for that
                > instance.
                >
                > Let's all start looking for programmers, maybe then
                > we'll be able to finish something even better then
                > the original.

                It's called OpenGlad, aka Project Snowstorm. My C++
                skills are lacking, tho. I've been raised on Java and Python.

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Bjorn Hansen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2004
                  I might be able to help, though right now I've got my hands in several
                  other game projects, some of my own and some others. Anyway, I've had
                  ambitions for a long time to do gladiator 3d. Just been wanting to
                  finish some other projects first.

                  Hmm, just noticed you aren't one of the snowstorm/openglad guys. Should
                  definately talk to and involve them in any projects. See
                  snowstorm.sourceforge.net if you haven't checked out openglad yet.
                  Probably best to help out there if you just want to extend Gladiator

                  Bjorn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                    My hard drive crashed last week. :-(

                    Does anybody know how to do dynamic web pages? I would like to set
                    up a way to view maps like the one I put up in my web site.
                  • Bjorn Hansen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                      alternate_dph wrote:

                      >My hard drive crashed last week. :-(
                      >
                      >Does anybody know how to do dynamic web pages? I would like to set
                      >up a way to view maps like the one I put up in my web site.

                      depends what kinds of tools/software you have available. What exactly
                      did you have in mind?
                    • alternate_dph
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                        > >Does anybody know how to do dynamic web pages? I would like to
                        set up a way to view maps like the one I put up in my web site.

                        > depends what kinds of tools/software you have available. What
                        exactly did you have in mind?

                        Something similiar to the setup for the Gladiator File checker.
                        Basically, the script would read the map file and produce a picture
                        of what the map looks like (similiar to what I've done on my website
                        with the maps of scenarios:
                        http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN250.html
                        http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN116.html
                        http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN0389.html
                        )

                        Just a way to preview the map. All you would need is all the map
                        tile pics in the same folder so that you could display the map like
                        I have it.

                        Until somebody comes along who understands more about graphics and
                        how to merge pics together in a program, this is the closest thing
                        we have to exporting maps for general view.
                      • Bjorn Hansen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                          alternate_dph wrote:

                          >Something similiar to the setup for the Gladiator File checker.
                          >Basically, the script would read the map file and produce a picture
                          >of what the map looks like (similiar to what I've done on my website
                          >with the maps of scenarios:
                          >http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN250.html
                          >http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN116.html
                          >http://www.cei.net/~dphofrules/glad/SCEN0389.html
                          >)
                          >
                          >Just a way to preview the map. All you would need is all the map
                          >tile pics in the same folder so that you could display the map like
                          >I have it.

                          So, if you already have a script which converts a map to an html page, I
                          don't quite understand why you need a dynamic html page for it? Why are
                          static pages not sufficient?

                          >Until somebody comes along who understands more about graphics and
                          >how to merge pics together in a program, this is the closest thing
                          >we have to exporting maps for general view.

                          you might be able to script something in the Gimp, but I don't know. It
                          might also be of interest (and not all that difficult) to produce a
                          minimap; just assign each tile piece a color, then write one pixel per
                          tile. The .bmp format is fairly straigt forward, and can be converted
                          to a format with compression with just about any image tool.

                          Bjorn