CE: New Characters

  • Daniel Paul Hightower
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
      Are there any name character classes you would like to add to the game
      that aren't promotions of an existing characters or hybrids/dual
      class? If so, this is your week to discuss those ideas.

      I'll start with a brand one:

      gargoyle character class
      basic attack - claw a character in front of it or tail whip a
      character behind it
      special attacks
      1)glide - this allows the character to glide short distances over
      trees and water (basic attack won't work while gliding for obvious
      reasons)
      2)hibernate - this allows the character to turn to stone for healing.
      During this process of healing, 95% of the damage from any attack on
      the character is automatically deflected while mana is used to restore
      health. Hibernation ends either after all mana is exhausted or the
      character is in full health.

      It's ok to disagree with the moderator.
    • Shigeki Miyake-Stoner
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
        that sounds very good. work out a few special abilities too, like:

        stone blizzard, (or something like that),
        shards of stone fall from the heavens damaging friends and foe alike (does
        not hurt gargoyle himself, but a 2 square radius centered on caster at
        casting, and remains for a few seconds, based on char lvl.)
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        The Gladiator Mailing List

      • Bjorn Hansen
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
          sounds rather hazardous to friendly units when under the control of the AI.

          On Sunday 06 April 2003 13:05, you wrote:
          > that sounds very good. work out a few special abilities too, like:
          >
          > stone blizzard, (or something like that),
          > shards of stone fall from the heavens damaging friends and foe alike (does
          > not hurt gargoyle himself, but a 2 square radius centered on caster at
          > casting, and remains for a few seconds, based on char lvl.)

        • Shigeki Miyake-Stoner
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
            Gargoyle: true, some other special abilities, dealing with stone? or will
            it be like the ghost and skeleton?

            Anyway, some new ideas:

            For making like, extensive maps/campaigns/RPG equivalents, wouldn't it be
            nice just to make a few basic simple monsters?

            Giant Rats/Spiders/Bats - no special abilities/magic, just attack.
            Goblin- maybe a "bash" attack(melee), costing alot of the goblin's few MP,
            just a slight Damaged enchanced attack based on lvl, otherwise, attack,
            similar size to elf.
            Default weapon: mace (close combat only, like orc)
            Kobold- maybe a "Slash" attack (melee), costing alot of the kobold's few MP,
            just a slight Damaged enchanced attack based on lvl, otherwise, attack,
            similar size to elf.
            Default weapon, short spear/javelin (ranged attack, like
            arrows, slightly bigger/longer weapon template)
            Troll- High constitution, "Regenerate" channel MP into health (basicly like
            cleric's heal, but ONLY for self)
            Default weapon: claws, (only melee like orc)

            well, ok, crude, very crude, but i'm just throwing out ideas. Some of these
            cratures would be PLACEABLE, but not HIREABLE, what does anyone think?
            sounds rather hazardous to friendly units when under the control of the
            AI.

            On Sunday 06 April 2003 13:05, you wrote:
            > that sounds very good. work out a few special abilities too, like:
            >
            > stone blizzard, (or something like that),
            > shards of stone fall from the heavens damaging friends and foe alike
            (does
            > not hurt gargoyle himself, but a 2 square radius centered on caster at
            > casting, and remains for a few seconds, based on char lvl.)

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            The Gladiator Mailing List

          • Daniel Paul Hightower
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
              I was thinking that using hibernating gargoyles as shields from a
              powerfull attack or powerfull creatures would be really usefull.

              There's two more I can think of:

              everybody's favorite: the mimic. Special ability: duplicate anybody
              else's special attack.

              alchemist: special abilities: create the various potions used in the
              game, except for the potion of mana [that would be kind of whacky
              using x amount of mana to create a potion of mana that gives x+ amount
              of mana].
            • Bjorn Hansen
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
                On Sunday 06 April 2003 19:53, you wrote:
                > alchemist: special abilities: create the various potions used in the
                > game, except for the potion of mana [that would be kind of whacky
                > using x amount of mana to create a potion of mana that gives x+ amount
                > of mana].

                yes but if it created a potion that gives the same or less, then one could
                use it ot transfer excess mana from the alchemist to another character.
              • Amir Touray
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6, 2003
                  --- Daniel Paul Hightower <dph_of_rules@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Are there any name character classes you would like
                  > to add to the game
                  > that aren't promotions of an existing characters or
                  > hybrids/dual
                  > class? If so, this is your week to discuss those
                  > ideas.
                  >
                  > I'll start with a brand one:
                  >
                  > gargoyle character class
                  > basic attack - claw a character in front of it or
                  > tail whip a
                  > character behind it
                  > special attacks
                  > 1)glide - this allows the character to glide short
                  > distances over
                  > trees and water (basic attack won't work while
                  > gliding for obvious
                  > reasons)
                  > 2)hibernate - this allows the character to turn to
                  > stone for healing.
                  > During this process of healing, 95% of the damage
                  > from any attack on
                  > the character is automatically deflected while mana
                  > is used to restore
                  > health. Hibernation ends either after all mana is
                  > exhausted or the
                  > character is in full health.
                  >
                  > It's ok to disagree with the moderator.

                  I like the Gargoyle.
                  OK I'll give it a shot:

                  Class: Dwarven RockMage
                  Basic Attacks: Rocks like the elf.. but better
                  Special Attacks: 1) Rock Walk- This creates a circle
                  around the character of a small radius. Any characters
                  in this radius, including the Rockmage himself, may
                  walk through rock for as long as the ability lasts. It
                  is intelligence based and works just like Forestwalk
                  except you carry people with you. The radius increases
                  with intelligence.
                  2)Rock Melt- destroys a large amount
                  of rock walls in a certain radius. radius increases
                  with intelligence. SHIFTER- Rock Barrier- Create a
                  small rock barrier, radius increases with
                  intelligence.
                  Permenant effects: N/A
                  Attributes: Like the mage. Slower walking because he's
                  a dwarf and has shorter legs. Higher armor, health and
                  strength.. almost a battlemage type as dwaves are
                  known for armor constitution and strength.. less
                  intelligence as dwarves arent great with magic
                  Cost: Higher than the mage.

                  RockWalk may not be that useful.. in which case I
                  would give all dwarven units RockWalk in addition to
                  their normal stats.. like:

                  Class: Dwarven RockMage
                  Basic Attacks: Axe slash ( melee only)
                  Special Attacks: 1) Axe Fury- An axe slash in a
                  circle.. very powerful

                  Permenant effects: RockWalk ( ForestWalk through
                  Rocks)
                  Attributes: Like the soldier. but with much higher
                  armor and lower walking speed. dwarves are known for
                  their armor and their short legs.
                  Cost: Higher than the soldier because of RockWalk and
                  armor

                  http://tax.yahoo.com
                • Shigeki Miyake-Stoner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2003
                    mimic... whould it use the last special used against it?

                    alchemist, maybe not a potion of mana, but maybe speed and flight etc.
                    sound cool. maybe he could make meat too :)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 8, 2003
                      Maybe he could make meat too :)

                      Making meat is rather unnecessary because clerics already do a
                      similiar thing.

                      (Interestingly enough, one of my clerics managed to heal a bunch of
                      slime WITHOUT the apparant use of mana. Apparantly, they can
                      regenerate mana that fast.)
                    • Shigeki Miyake-Stoner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8, 2003
                        yes, but at the same time, you could make a high level meat that could heal
                        someone to full right quick. Also, it might build on the idea of fortress
                        maps, where you can keep a pile of meat for allies incase that cleric is out
                        renegading or something

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2003
                          I like the idea of the gargoyle it could turn into and interesting
                          creature. The alchemist and the mimic are kind of off the wall.
                          Here's my idea(s).

                          There should be more elementals:

                          Water Elemental (maybe summonable by someone/Druid?)
                          Shoots a burst of high velocity water as basic attack. (limited range)
                          Lightning: A bolt of lightning like the druid bolt, but much stronger
                          and slightly bigger.
                          (Elemental would be able to freely move over water)

                          Earth Elemental (kind of muddy looking fella)
                          Basic attack would be a punch.
                          Mudd Ball: A Gob of mud thrown from the elemental that paralyzes and
                          hurts the victim.
                          (Elemental would heal 2x as fast as regular healing happens)

                          I can't really think of a good air elemental use because there is
                          already faries and ghosts.

                          --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Paul Hightower"
                          <dph_of_rules@u...> wrote:
                          > Are there any name character classes you would like to add to the
                          game
                          > that aren't promotions of an existing characters or hybrids/dual
                          > class? If so, this is your week to discuss those ideas.
                          >
                          > I'll start with a brand one:
                          >
                          > gargoyle character class
                          > basic attack - claw a character in front of it or tail whip a
                          > character behind it
                          > special attacks
                          > 1)glide - this allows the character to glide short distances over
                          > trees and water (basic attack won't work while gliding for obvious
                          > reasons)
                          > 2)hibernate - this allows the character to turn to stone for
                          healing.
                          > During this process of healing, 95% of the damage from any attack
                          on
                          > the character is automatically deflected while mana is used to
                          restore
                          > health. Hibernation ends either after all mana is exhausted or the
                          > character is in full health.
                          >
                          > It's ok to disagree with the moderator.
                        • doomlordx
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 12, 2003
                            Not a lot of material for me to do an unnecessarily long rant about,
                            so I'll suggest the air elemental mentioned in the last post.

                            Wind Elemental
                            Basic attack: gust (shown by the dust it picks up)
                            Specials:
                            1) Whirlwind: Target starts spinning insanely and taking high damage
                            due to a small whirlwind created on them. SHIFT: Tornado: Hits the
                            whole screen, but lasts 1/4 of the time
                            2) Throwback: A very strong wind knocks back and severely damages all
                            who get in it's way.
                            [elemental can travel through anything, like a ghost]

                            Now, the nastiest piece of work I could think of:

                            Dragon (CANNOT BE HIRED!)
                            Basic attack: claws
                            Specials:
                            1) Fire breath: The dragon breathes flames on the enemy, doing plenty
                            of damage.
                            2) Dive: Flies up and slams into the ground, heavily damaging anyone
                            it lands directly on and hurting all characters that happen to be too
                            close (friend or foe)
                            [Large (e.g. GSkeleton), but can fly over water + forest if it has
                            enough room]

                            Feedback will be appreciated, as long as it's constructive.