Levels compilation, etc.

  • Lord Bigglesby
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12 5:57 AM
      Hmmm€  '¥ First of all, sorry about the GDLott.exe thing, but it
      seems
      that Cookie got the intended usage out of it. Now: it was mentioned a
      while back that though the site link was fairly busted, the Beyond
      Freedom demo might be made available through FTP€  '¥ any news on
      that?
      And I'm just finishing up about fifty levels for the existing
      Gladiator program€  '¥ should I package them up and post them
      somewhere?
      Does anyone else have levels sitting around? I know Shayd tried to
      gather some, but that was a while back€  '¥ Shayd, I've already got
      Badlands, thanks--anything new? It wouldn't be too hard to take the
      existing levels, Tryxian, my stuff, and whatever else I can find and
      slap it all together into a big 150+ level complex-would it be
      illegal or not-nice to alter a couple of the original levels to
      connect with the new? Let me know, people€  '¥ One more thing:
      Light4700
      said, "If you would like some Gladiator stages you can download them
      here if you like" but didn't give an address€  '¥ Where were the
      stages?
      Light4700, are you still on the list? Darklord217 also said he had
      three or so levels in the works and Tom claimed to have a smattering
      of random send-ins€  '¥ Kylekabob3 mentioned having a few levels,
      Maxim
      too€  '¥ and of course there was the apocryphal "guy" who was
      working on
      the Worlds webpage, whom only Tom knew (this may or may not have been
      Slwright, who said he had 12-15 levels)€  '¥ If they're not finished
      and
      you don't have the time, I'd be perfectly willing to polish them
      up€  '¥
      and I'm very careful about viruses, so that's not an issue. Say, has
      David Chang (who made Tryxian) been up to anything lately? The
      creator
      of Boost said (I think) that he would alter the code to meet the
      updates€  '¥ has this been done? Little bits-Dave Hinkle/Jeff/whoever
      you
      are€  '¥ do you still have your improved cleric graphic? And Tom€  '¥
      are
      there any levels that just weren't released for some reason? I'm
      thinking of the fragmentary Level 61 that was packed in my levels.001
      but won't load€  '¥ about the Witch Cassandra and the Wasteland
      Valley.
      And does anyone know what the heck DAYOFDRA.MOD is? Anyway, I hope to
      hear from all you folks, and I'll try my best to actually put out a
      compilation. Regards,
      -Tevildo.
    • Cookie
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12 12:24 PM
        >Hmmm€  '¥ First of all, sorry about the GDLott.exe thing, but it
        >seems
        >that Cookie got the intended usage out of it. Now: it was mentioned a

        Whatcha talking about? I said that it was a virus, and that's what it was.
        I never executed the program to get the information that I got from it.

        What you just said made it sound like you INTENTIONALLY sent it for the
        sole purpose of harming others' computers.

        The question is: WHY the heck did you post it to the group?

        First of all, you shouldn't have done that just because what it was
        CLAIMING to do was _ILLEGAL_... if you've been around for a while, you'll
        know Seth/Tom have removed several people asking for warez. How would this
        have been any different?

        Secondly, you never virus-scanned it before sending it to the group -- that
        much is obvious, too!

        >Does anyone else have levels sitting around? I know Shayd tried to

        I was working on a set a while back, but... frankly, it's too difficult to
        use the editor effectively.. I mean, I'd be fine if it were text-based or
        if it were a windows executable or if it had instructions or if it didn't
        crash all the time (well, on my one system, at any rate)...

        mmm.. text-based... actually, that might not be a bad idea..

        *starts daydreaming*

        ...Write a text-based version of the program..
        ...Where you use the arrow keys to move the cursor around the map (with a
        display of 80x23 or something, with 2 lines for status/etc..
        ...Obviously scrolling when you got to the edge of the screen) and then you
        just press the letter of the type of thing you want there...
        ..."W" for wall... "C" for carpet... "T" for tree "t" for teleport... etc.. :)
        ...And since there are multiple tiles in some cases, the program would
        randomly select WHICH specific tile to use there... yeah... :D~~~
        ...Hey, Tom, you go the map specs onhand? :) he he he...

        *ends daydreaming*

        Seriously, the way the GUI is implemented and the difficulty of selecting
        specific tiles made it a bit painful to deal with. :/

        >And does anyone know what the heck DAYOFDRA.MOD is? Anyway, I hope to
        >hear from all you folks, and I'll try my best to actually put out a
        >compilation. Regards,

        I'm taking a wild guess but...
        DAYOFDRA.MOD is probably a MODULE music file. Go to http://www.modplug.com
        and grab the modplug player. Open the dayofdra.mod in the player, and you
        should start hearing music (if it IS a mod file)

        Basically, MODs are "enhanced" midi files.. Custom intruments, and more
        musical 'things' can be done. Also in existance are S3M, IT, and XM files
        with more channels and more nifty features for composers..
        -Cookie
      • kylekabob3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15 7:06 AM
          i made about 8 levels but my computer got messed up so i dont know if i have
          them or not but im pretty sure i saved them to a disk
          -kyle