CE: Golems and Towers

  • Daniel Paul Hightower <dph_of_rules@usa.
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
      Yea, this week, we are talking about Golems and Towers.

      Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    • Daniel Paul Hightower <dph_of_rules@usa.
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
        Sorry if this is a double post.

        This week we are talking about Golems and Towers.

        comments, questions, complaints?
      • Daniel Paul Hightower <dph_of_rules@usa.
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
          test to see if the posting is working again.
        • ineedhelpnow2 <ineedhelpnow2@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
            Towers are kinda wierd because the whole thing is thrown off, towers
            should be bigger than the people, not the same size. There is no REAL
            purpose for towers, but they could be interesting at one point if
            triggers were added.

            Golems are interesting creatures for the game, the problem being
            their size. Almost any level has a spot where a golem could not get
            to. Truely I think golems should be summoned as the Master Druid
            spell (level 15 or something). They are too big for regular levels.

            --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Paul Hightower

          • doomlordx <doomlordx@yahoo.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
              --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, "ineedhelpnow2
              <ineedhelpnow2@y...>" <ineedhelpnow2@y...> wrote:
              > Towers are kinda wierd because the whole thing is thrown off,
              towers
              > should be bigger than the people, not the same size. There is no
              REAL
              > purpose for towers, but they could be interesting at one point if
              > triggers were added.

              Good points made. The size of the towers would probably only make the
              game slightly more realistic, but that's no harm is it? The fact they
              can't move makes them pretty useless.

              > Golems are interesting creatures for the game, the problem being
              > their size. Almost any level has a spot where a golem could not get
              > to.

              That's not the only problem. For a laugh, I changed one of my team
              chars into a Golem, and when it got to the next level it was trapped
              with another team member.

              > Truely I think golems should be summoned as the Master Druid
              > spell (level 15 or something). They are too big for regular levels.

              ...Shame I didn't think of that.

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
                --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, "doomlordx <doomlordx@y...>"
                <doomlordx@y...> wrote:
                > --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, "ineedhelpnow2
                > <ineedhelpnow2@y...>" <ineedhelpnow2@y...> wrote:

                >There is no REAL purpose for towers, but they could be interesting at
                one point if triggers were added.

                *Whistles* I can think of lots of uses of Towers and triggers. I
                would redo my "The Tunneled Labryinth" just to take advantage of that.
                I would also redo "Release of Sun Bai" to put a trigger in it to
                either weaken "Sub Bain" or keep you from freeing him so easily.

                Heck, I would put a trigger tied to towers' existance to prevent
                characters from using any special attacks or weaken the effectiveness
                of attacks. In effect, towers were made for triggers.

                > Golems are interesting creatures for the game, the problem being
                their size. Almost any level has a spot where a golem could not
                get to.

                Yea, it's annoying to design a level for a Golem. My "The Port City"
                uses a Golem, but really can't defend himself very well. :-( I would
                like to give Golems an attack of becoming an ball to run over
                opponents. Also, Golems should be more resistent to certain attacks
                because of their composition.

                > Truely I think golems should be summoned as the Master Druid
                spell (level 15 or something). They are too big for regular
                levels.

                or have a Golem generator.

                yea, a big request of mine is to add a faerie generator, too.
              • Kaworu Nagisa
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 4, 2003
                  Towers -

                  The only time I've ever been scared of towers is in
                  one of my friend's maps, with walls of level-70
                  towers. Even so, Exploding Bolt massively outranges
                  the towers' shots.

                  Golems -

                  Aaaargh. Their range attacks, at high level, hit for
                  approximately instakill (over 32767 damage). However,
                  if you close in to melee with them, they die pretty easily.

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • doomlordx
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 5, 2003
                    --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, Kaworu Nagisa <imbanfsf@y...> wrote:
                    > Towers -
                    >
                    > The only time I've ever been scared of towers is in
                    > one of my friend's maps, with walls of level-70
                    > towers.

                    Would you email a copy of the level-70 towers level to me please? I'm
                    interested to see how threatening towers really can be...
                  • Kaworu Nagisa
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 5, 2003
                      doomlordx <doomlordx@...> wrote:

                      >Would you email a copy of the level-70 towers level to me >please? I'm
                      >interested to see how threatening towers really can be...

                      It's on my old computer, but the towers are not the main attraction of the level. It's a three-team map - you, with a few of the towers as NPCs (they die fast), most of the towers on another team, and blue, with a level-100 mage and archmage who want very much to kill you, as well as an equal share of the towers as you.

                      Needless to say, this level was made for a single supercharacter. Anyway, I'll get it and e-mail it soon.

                    • Daniel Paul Hightower
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 9, 2003
                        This week, we're talking about Giant Skeletons and Fire Elementals.

                        Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

                        Of course, I believe that Fire Elementals should have an attack of
                        "suicide" available only to currently under a characters control.
                        Said attack would use create extremely powerfull attack, (hopefully)
                        that would be used only as a last resort when a team is seriously
                        out-classed in a scenario.

                        * * *

                        Moderator's note

                        There are a couple of pending messages that are in a language I can
                        not recognize or translate. Without wanting to sound prejudice, I
                        will not approve messages if I can not understand the message because
                        of concerns over offensive language and/or offensive content. Yes, I
                        have tried a couple of places online to get the messages translated
                        with no success.
                      • doomlordx
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 9, 2003
                          > Of course, I believe that Fire Elementals should have an attack of
                          > "suicide" available only to currently under a characters control.
                          > Said attack would use create extremely powerfull attack

                          Sounds good. But since the attack takes the user's life, surely it
                          can be safe for insta-death on the (other) victim(s)?

                          As for Giant Skeletons, they're just huge, overpowered, and useless
                          except for blocking passages.
                        • Daniel Paul Hightower
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9, 2003
                            > Sounds good. But since the attack takes the user's life, surely it
                            can be safe for insta-death on the (other) victim(s)?

                            yea, it depends on how it is worked. I'd prefer two options for
                            suicide: option A is the stream of energy heads in one direction and
                            option B is the stream of energy heads in 8 directions. Either way,
                            it wouldn't be a single fireball (or 8 fireballs), but rather 10-20
                            fireballs in a row (depending on how much health and mana the fire
                            elemental has).
                          • Daniel Paul Hightower
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 16, 2003
                              Yea, this wee, we are talking about skeletons and ghosts.

                              I'd like to comment that a high experience levels, a skeleton's
                              ability to "tunnel" achieves the same effect as teleport. Also, at
                              high experience levels, it's impossible for skeleton to use any mana
                              for either tunnel or it's basic attack.

                              Also, there should be some limits on a ghost's ability to scare
                              characters. There should be a point where a level 20 ghost's "scare"
                              attack has a minimal effect on a level 50+ character. Also, ghosts
                              should have a stronger immunity to their own attack.

                              When you have the choice of raising a skeleton or raising a ghost,
                              which one do you raise?

                              I only raise a ghost when I need room to maneuver around enemies;
                              otherwise, I raise a skeleton when I need extra troops.

                              When one of my teams reach a certain point, I view experience level
                              1-5 enemy characters as potential teammates.
                            • doomlordx
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 18, 2003
                                > I'd like to comment that a high experience levels, a skeleton's
                                > ability to "tunnel" achieves the same effect as teleport. Also, at
                                > high experience levels, it's impossible for skeleton to use any
                                mana
                                > for either tunnel or it's basic attack.

                                Seems OK, that sort of thing happens to every class when they become
                                mighty enough.

                                > Also, there should be some limits on a ghost's ability to scare
                                > characters. There should be a point where a level 20
                                ghost's "scare"
                                > attack has a minimal effect on a level 50+ character. Also, ghosts
                                > should have a stronger immunity to their own attack.

                                Or maybe, stop scare-effect growth at a certain point, but at that
                                exact point introduce a new ability for the ghost.

                                > When you have the choice of raising a skeleton or raising a ghost,
                                > which one do you raise?

                                I never have either as a permanent team member...
                              • Daniel Paul Hightower
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 18, 2003
                                  > I never have either as a permanent team member...

                                  Neither do I. I was talking about while playing a scenario your team
                                  is outnumbered, you see lots of corpses around, and you have a cleric
                                  that can raise either a skeleton or ghost, what do you do?
                                • Daniel Paul Hightower
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 23, 2003
                                    Yea, this week we talk about the two of the 3 most powerfull character
                                    classes in Gladiator: clerics and archmages.

                                    * * *

                                    Moderator's note: I'm on spring break (YEA!!) so I should have the
                                    time to get caught up with recording the comments about each
                                    character.

                                    * * *

                                    Topics for the upcoming weeks:

                                    Next week, it's orc captains and thieves.

                                    After that, it's proposed new character classes - not promotions or
                                    hybrids/dual class.

                                    After that, it's more proposed new character class - promotions of
                                    existing classes only.

                                    If I overlooked a character class, let me know.
                                  • ineedhelpnow2
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 24, 2003
                                      <dph_of_rules@u...> wrote:
                                      > Yea, this week we talk about the two of the 3 most powerfull
                                      character
                                      > classes in Gladiator: clerics and archmages.
                                      >
                                      > * * *
                                      >
                                      > Moderator's note: I'm on spring break (YEA!!) so I should have the
                                      > time to get caught up with recording the comments about each
                                      > character.
                                      >
                                      > * * *
                                      >
                                      > Topics for the upcoming weeks:
                                      >
                                      > Next week, it's orc captains and thieves.
                                      >
                                      > After that, it's proposed new character classes - not promotions or
                                      > hybrids/dual class.
                                      >
                                      > After that, it's more proposed new character class - promotions of
                                      > existing classes only.
                                      >
                                      > If I overlooked a character class, let me know.

                                      Clerics: Until level 4 they are fine, but at level 4 w/ raise
                                      skeleton it gets really easy to go up in levels. And your skeletons
                                      have massive amounts of health as you go up in levels. I once had
                                      almost all my skeletons have 21,000+ health in a level. And I was
                                      only level 21. This is not right. I dont know but it seems like
                                      clerics are by far the most powerful of the regular classes.

                                      (All characters should be able to bury corpse, so that it goes away.)

                                      Archmage: The only hybird class so far, and the most powerful
                                      character. Summon fire elemental is over powered, but compared to
                                      chain lightning is nothing. Chain lightning destroys whole levels of
                                      guys in seconds. On my old computer it would lags soo bad when I shot
                                      it that all I would do was shoot it and come back 2-3 minutes later
                                      to find the whole level dead. With enough mana you can fire multiply
                                      chain lightnings while telporting and destroy anything. Archmages
                                      should be more balanced.
                                    • Daniel Paul Hightower
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 24, 2003
                                        > Yea, this week we talk about the two of the 3 most powerfull
                                        character classes in Gladiator: clerics and archmages.

                                        Just to make it clear, I believe mages, archmages, and clerics are the
                                        3 most powerfull character classes in the Gladiator. I'd list
                                        archmages as slightly more powerfull than clerics (I have a scenario
                                        to prove it), but I'm not sure where to list mages because the ability
                                        to freeze time (or even slow it down) could lead to just as much
                                        damage as summoning fire elementals or raising sketelons/clerics.

                                        > Clerics: Until level 4 they are fine, but at level 4 w/ raise
                                        skeleton it gets really easy to go up in levels.

                                        I agree. Once a cleric reaches the point of raising skeletons,
                                        acquiring experience points for that cleric becomes relatively easy,
                                        almost too easy.

                                        >I dont know but it seems like clerics are by far the most powerful of
                                        the regular classes.

                                        Respectfully, I disagree. The current freeze time attack can lead to
                                        as much ease in winning a scenario as raising skeletons or summoning
                                        fire elementals. Right now, I can't say that any single character is
                                        the most powerfull. Give me a mage with the ability to freeze time
                                        and I can beat you. Give me an archmage who can summon fire
                                        elementals and I can beat you. Give me a cleric who can raise
                                        skeletons and ghosts and resurrect and I can beat you.
                                      • Daniel Paul Hightower
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                          This week we are talking about orc captains and thieves.

                                          (If I have overlooked any existing character class, let me know before
                                          next week)
                                        • ineedhelpnow2
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 30, 2003
                                            <dph_of_rules@u...> wrote:
                                            > This week we are talking about orc captains and thieves.
                                            >
                                            > (If I have overlooked any existing character class, let me know
                                            before
                                            > next week)

                                            Orc Captians - as of now they are a joke, you might as well be a
                                            soldier and get the magical abilities.

                                            Hmm... I cant really think of GOOD abilities for the Orc Captian
                                            w/out copying other classes. BUT one really cool "ability" that orc
                                            captians could have (this probably would be hard to code) could be
                                            Rally Troops, where allied troops in the surrounding area would get a
                                            boost to health, speed, and magic for a short duration (for every
                                            time cast.)

                                            Thieves- This class is really quite ausome and devisating once you
                                            get high leveled bombs.

                                            With the addition of doors in many levels I think the theives should
                                            have the ability to Pick Locks and pass through doors without having
                                            to find the keys.