Glad

  • shayd@xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 1999
      Hmm, I'm sending this a second time because it didn't appear to get through
      the first time.

      Anyway, here it is again; Does anyone at all have the zipped or complete
      files for the Gladiator: Beyond Freedom demo? I used to have it but since
      I had to format my hard drive, I lost it and was unable to get it back
      because the link on the site doesn't seem to work. If you do, speak up
      and maybe you can send it over to me, I could mirror it on my FTP for the
      FSGames site (I run off a cable modem). Also, if you've got it and don't
      want to spend the time looking me up, upload it to a xoom account or
      something and post the address to this list. Someone has *got* to have
      it. Anyone? :) (ICQ#: 18074806)

      Thanks guys, enjoy your weekend.
      -Chris
    • Tom Ricket
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 1999
        >From: shayd@...
        >
        >Hmm, I'm sending this a second time because it didn't appear to get through
        >the first time.
        >
        >Anyway, here it is again; Does anyone at all have the zipped or complete
        >files for the Gladiator: Beyond Freedom demo? I used to have it but since
        >I had to format my hard drive, I lost it and was unable to get it back
        >because the link on the site doesn't seem to work. If you do, speak up
        >and maybe you can send it over to me, I could mirror it on my FTP for the
        >FSGames site (I run off a cable modem). Also, if you've got it and don't
        >want to spend the time looking me up, upload it to a xoom account or
        >something and post the address to this list. Someone has *got* to have
        >it. Anyone? :) (ICQ#: 18074806)
        >
        >Thanks guys, enjoy your weekend.
        > -Chris

        Hi, Chris,

        If you've got a cable modem also, I can probably FTP it to you directly...
        the link has, I know, been broken on the FSGames site for .. well, for
        quite a while, it appears! But I'm sure I have a recent version around here
        somewhere :)

        --Tom
      • maxim@xxxxx.xxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 1999
          I know about the offer from alladvantage, It's hard to miss the constant
          barrage of advertisments about it. I'd appreciate not seeing it here. Let
          this be an end to our disagreement.

          About Gladiator...
          I was wondering what you guys used to program it, I am learning the basics
          of C and C++ and would like to learn some more about graphical coding. Would
          it be possible to see some of your source code (heh heh...not likely, eh?)
          or at least maybe direct me to somewhere I could learn more...It seems that
          all the graphic resources available online are way too advanced or only for
          specific compilers such as Microsoft Visual C++ which I don't have the
          pleasure of owning. (ahem)

          -Maxim
        • Bjørn Hansen
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 1999
            Hey,
            I don't know what compiler you use but I've learned C and C++ using
            DJGPP and have actually done a bit of graphic stuff. I found it wasn't that
            difficult to find stuff on it for that compiler(which has a lot in common
            with Borland except it's a protected mode thing, anyway. . ) After messing
            around with setting the mode myself and drawing colors to the screen and
            stuff I discovered it is way more convenient to use a game library for your
            graphics routines rather than write then yourself. It's fun to learn how to
            do it though so I would still encourage it. Let me see if I can dig up some
            bookmarks for some good pages. . . .Ok found em. First of all the DJGPP
            site at http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ has some links, or used to anyway, to
            a couple of basic tutorials on VGA programming. There are also some good
            sites strictly for game programming. www.jado.org has lots of links to
            sites. The game programming vault is also a good place to go
            http://members.tripod.co.uk/lpfglc/. The other one I have bookmarked is
            http://www.perplexed.com/GPMega/. I may have more but that's the only ones
            I could find easily in my bookmarks. If you need anything else I'd be happy
            to help if I can. Sorry to everyone else that this isn't really about
            gladiator, though I am also curious what it was programmed in. I hope there
            are some other people on this list which the bulk of this message interests.
            Also I was kinda disappointed about the Alladvantage thing cause I'm sure
            most people have heard about it already, it's kinda hard to miss but enough
            of that anyway, I shouldn't have mentioned it.

            Since FSgames is temporarily(we hope) on hold with all the projects I can't
            help but wonder if there is anything we(the gladiator fans) can do to help,
            aside from large monetary donations since I'm sure I'm not the only broke
            college student out there. : ) Ok I've said enough, happy gaming or
            coding or whatever

            Bj�rn

            I know about the offer from alladvantage, It's hard to miss the constant
            barrage of advertisments about it. I'd appreciate not seeing it here. Let
            this be an end to our disagreement.

            About Gladiator...
            I was wondering what you guys used to program it, I am learning the basics
            of C and C++ and would like to learn some more about graphical coding. Would
            it be possible to see some of your source code (heh heh...not likely, eh?)
            or at least maybe direct me to somewhere I could learn more...It seems that
            all the graphic resources available online are way too advanced or only for
            specific compilers such as Microsoft Visual C++ which I don't have the
            pleasure of owning. (ahem)

            -Maxim

            The Gladiator Mailing List
          • Tom Ricket
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 1999
              >About Gladiator...
              >I was wondering what you guys used to program it, I am learning the basics
              >of C and C++ and would like to learn some more about graphical coding. Would
              >it be possible to see some of your source code (heh heh...not likely, eh?)
              >or at least maybe direct me to somewhere I could learn more...It seems that
              >all the graphic resources available online are way too advanced or only for
              >specific compilers such as Microsoft Visual C++ which I don't have the
              >pleasure of owning. (ahem)
              >
              >-Maxim

              Bjorn (sorry, can't find the "o" with slash through it) already answered
              most of the C/C++ issues .. but basically:

              Gladiator was programmed in a mixture of C++ and 80x86 Assembly, using the
              Watcom C++ compiler. Basically, we used C++ for most of the code,
              especially object hierarchy, list management, AI routines, etc., and
              assembly for the fast graphics routines. One of our members created a
              basics graphics engine in assembly, which the rest of us then used for the
              game.

              For code sample .. I'd actually be happy to share some of it, if you have
              any specific questions (ie, certain types of routines, or whatever). Just
              let me know.

              As to helping out the FSGames team, there's not much you can do right now,
              I'm afraid -- two of the team are working for Blizzard, and so they're
              pretty much tied up 150% right now with Diablo 2. I'm working full time at
              a "normal" job, and also working for the http://www.sluggy.com site, which
              also takes a fair amount of time, so .. unless you have a nifty time
              machine for us, or a way to squeeze more hours into a day, there's not much
              that'd help :)

              Take care,
              Tom
            • maxim@xxxxx.xxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 1999
                Tom sez:
                >For code sample .. I'd actually be happy to share some of it, if you have
                >any specific questions (ie, certain types of routines, or whatever). Just
                >let me know.

                Lessie....any sort of AI routines you'd be willing to share would be really
                neat, I can't think of anything else specifically, Im working on a Warhammer
                game now (I wish they'd made a turn-based computer game like it shoulda
                been...well you want something done right...) and need to learn some simple
                graphics but I dont think it will require anything as complex as glad uses,
                basically anything you might be willing to share I'd love to have.
                -Max

                maxim@...
              • kawehrahimali
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2003
                  --- In gladiator@yahoogroups.com, shayd@... wrote:

                  > Hmm, I'm sending this a second time because it didn't appear to
                  get through
                  > the first time.
                  >
                  > Anyway, here it is again; Does anyone at all have the zipped or
                  complete
                  > files for the Gladiator: Beyond Freedom demo? I used to have it
                  but since
                  > I had to format my hard drive, I lost it and was unable to get it
                  back
                  > because the link on the site doesn't seem to work. If you do,
                  speak up
                  > and maybe you can send it over to me, I could mirror it on my FTP
                  for the
                  > FSGames site (I run off a cable modem). Also, if you've got it
                  and don't
                  > want to spend the time looking me up, upload it to a xoom account
                  or
                  > something and post the address to this list. Someone has *got* to
                  have
                  > it. Anyone? :) (ICQ#: 18074806)
                  >
                  > Thanks guys, enjoy your weekend.
                  > -Chris

                  Hey man, i a looking for the demo 2 for a long time. do you have it?
                  and if you do could u send it to me by mail?
                • Shigeki Miyake-Stoner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2003
                    I really wanted it too :)