Re: [givewell] Re: Update on general aid issues [REVISED FOR RESEARCH LIST]

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2009
      We've discussed this a bit.  A couple of thoughts:
      • Our charity-specific work is already being rolled out to the website.  We recently published the Stop TB review and will soon be publishing a couple more.
      • I've been doing the "issues pages" as blog posts, but I think at this point I'm going to switch over to publishing them directly on the website and just announcing/linking them on the blog.  The difference is more or less one of formatting (and to a lesser extent tone), but this seems appropriate.
      • We're going to experiment with using the blog for more conversational, less tightly referenced points - the big picture more than the details, with the aim of provoking conversation even before we have all the references in order.  Eventually the two will meet - we'll have "highlights" pages on the polished website that are also well-referenced - but putting those pages together now would not be efficient.

      On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM, psteinx <psteinmeyer@...> wrote:

      Speaking only for myself, I am looking more for a higher level of polishing and publishing rather than a particular level of detail. i.e. Rather than putting effort into blog posts and detailed e-mails to this list, I'd rather see you guys make more of an effort to put the research and content into publishable form.

      IMO, neither blog entries nor e-mails on this list should be the final goal of GiveWell research.

      Perhaps you are a bit gunshy about putting content onto the main website until it is in "final" form. Personally, I'd like to see content go up sooner, and if it gets revised later, so be it.

      By having so many stages to your research (you read a bunch, take some rough notes, eventually collect the rough notes and e-mail this list, maybe make a blog post, and finally, perhaps weeks/months later, put content on the main site), I think you are creating more work for yourselves.

      As for level of detail - clearly there needs to be some cascading there. I think bulletpoints (with links) are needed at the high level, and don't have a strong opinion at this time on the exact shape of the more detailed levels.

      I *do* think that when there is research on both sides of an issue (some researchers say "A", others say "not A"), that you should provide some color on your opinions of the strength of the relevant research, rather than simply throwing in links to the research and letting the reader decide. The links are nice (and important), but most readers won't go through the research in detail - that's GiveWell's job. You don't have to make an absolute pronouncement (A is *clearly* correct) - feel free to shade your opinion according to the strength of the arguments and research. And sometimes, an issue will be quite unresolved or the two sides will be equally strong - it's ok to say that too. But one way or another, I think you should express some opinion about the relative strength of the arguments on contested issues.