Intervention summary table

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2009
      I've updated the summary table of interventions - top link at http://www.givewell.net/wiki/index.php?title=DWDA_intervention_writeups

      The idea of this table is to list every intervention that
      • Carries a recommendation from an expert explicitly aiming to compare interventions and recommend particularly strong ones.  The comparisons I've used (and these are all the appropriate ones I know of, i.e., from people trying to make broad comparisons using consistent criteria and not from advocates for particular charities or programs):
      and/or
      • Has a "track record of success" of some kind, including
      And "flag" the most promising ones to (a) investigate further (using reports such as http://www.givewell.net/wiki/index.php?title=Intervention_writeup:_Prevention_of_mother-to-child_HIV_transmission_through_antiretroviral_therapy), so we can be clear on the evidence for them; (b) finalize our list of priority interventions (currently at http://www.givewell.net/research-agenda) so that we can flag charities that focus on these interventions.

      I'm not quite sure yet exactly what our criteria should be for "flagging" an intervention.  I'm thinking something along the lines of at least 1 expert recommendation + at least 1 strong piece of past success (either randomized controlled trial or country-level success story).