Transcript from November 21st conference call

  • Elie Hassenfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2011
    We held a conference call with donors and board members on November 21 to discuss the new research we planned to release a week later.

    The transcript from that call is available at http:www.givewell.org/files/calls/November 21, 2011.doc and it is also attached to this email.

    Please note:
    • This conversation represented our views at the time; our report was not finalized at that point, and we have changed some of our views since.
    • We have redacted the transcript in several places to remove information that either could easily be misinterpreted or we can't post online.
    • The transcript is "rough." We have not taken the time to clean it and therefore there are some sections where the transcription service may have missed words or transcribed the wrong words. We have reviewed the transcript and these instances appear minor to us.
    It's our impression that most people would prefer to review a written transcript instead of listening to the audio. It's also the case that redacting the audio file (to redact sections we don't want to post publicly) would take more work than editing the transcript. That said, if anyone is particularly interested in listening to the audio, please let us know so we can determine whether it makes sense to clean and post the audio as well.

    We're holding another call tonight at 7pm EST. If you'd like to join, you can submit the form at http://www.givewell.org/conference-call-dec-8-2011 and we'll send you call-in details.

    Thanks,
    Elie
  • Gwern Branwen
    Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2011
      On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Elie Hassenfeld <elie@...> wrote:
      It's our impression that most people would prefer to review a written transcript instead of listening to the audio. It's also the case that redacting the audio file (to redact sections we don't want to post publicly) would take more work than editing the transcript. That said, if anyone is particularly interested in listening to the audio, please let us know so we can determine whether it makes sense to clean and post the audio as well.

      FWIW, transcripts are also much easier for deaf or hard of hearing (like myself). Anyway, I found this part interesting:

      > 1:10:09 EH: And the final thing I'll say on the topic and let Holden touch on this, is to just... Basically, we're a community and the research we don't have any really like proactive plans to do anything. And we've given press releases in the past, we haven't seen much of that. We do continue to manage our AdWords account, which is Google AdWords, which is advertising in Google Search which we found to be one of the most direct ways to find people that are searching for the type of research that we're doing. Holden, did you want to add anything to the marketing PR?

      Is there any consolidated discussion of this? I searched and I see Adwords mentioned in various places on the site (budgets etc.), but nothing significant.

      --
      gwern
      http://www.gwern.net
      Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2011
        Hi Gwern,

        There's no consolidated discussion of marketing/PR. We're planning to do our normal annual review and plan in January which will go into our plans for 2012 for research and marketing, and we're thinking of holding a "GiveWell strategy" conference call to discuss issues like our plans for marketing.

        That's something we'll schedule in January.

        Best,
        Elie