Data on how aid is (/has been) spent

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2008
      The most promising data source I've found is through the OECD's Development-Cooperation Directorate (http://www.oecd.org/dac).  This is the data cited in an Easterly/Pfutze paper (http://www.nyu.edu/fas/institute/dri/Easterly/File/Where_Does_Money_Go.pdf).

      It is accessible via http://stats.oecd.org/qwids/

      Just looking at the interface, it looks like we can get breakdowns not only by donor and recipient, but by type of aid (malaria control, TB control, infrastructure, etc.), which is the data I've had trouble finding anyone talking about.

      However, the interface is very cumbersome, and truly understanding this dataset (what all the definitions and categories are, etc.) would be a project in itself.

      What I would like to do is find literature that draws on this data set.  I'm not sure whether there is a way to search specifically for literature using specific data.  I will give the OECD a call in the next couple of days to see if they know.  Hopefully someone else has already done the work of creating a comprehensible picture of what we know about where aid goes.

      One more note: the type-of-aid data is available only for government-provided aid.  I really doubt we will be able to get any aggregate data on how private aid is spent, since reporting requirements for private aid are basically nonexistent.  We do have numbers for how much private aid is spent (from the link Simon sent before).