Better-organized notes on Easterly paper

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2008
      I've created a more thorough writeup on the Easterly paper ("Can the West Save Africa?")'s answers to our general aid questions - organized by question, with refs to specific quotes.

      I've also integrated the bottom lines from this into our wiki on general Q's on aid, which will hopefully serve as the working compilation of where we stand on each Q.

      Feedback both on the specific notes and on the way we're organizing stuff is appreciated.  The goal is not yet to have a "user-friendly" website, but more to have everything well-organized so we can fairly easily see what we know about a question and where we got it, and drill down without too much trouble.
    • psteinx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2008
        I like your summary, and you've gotten to the core of at least some
        key questions, albeit with answers from only one source. Yes, it
        seems Easterly is in turn referencing other sources, but we don't know
        if he has a balanced presentation or is trying to sell a particular
        viewpoint. (I'm guessing his presentation is reasonable, but I
        haven't dug deep enough to know.) So obviously, some further sources
        would be helpful.

        Organizationally, I assume the current document is a bit transitory
        (and you will eventually mold things into a better form somewhere,
        presumably on the main site). My big thing for dense information like
        this is hierarchy and navigation. The level of summary you've
        presented in the first part feels about right. But there needs to be
        an easy way to call up the more detailed information presented in the
        footnotes, then, preferably, navigate back to the part of the summary
        you were on.

        Hyperlinks to footnotes are a first step, and fairly easy to
        implement. But they're often a bit imprecise on the return trip (back
        to the original). Depending on what software you end up using, there
        may be other/better alternatives - that allow easy expansion of
        collapsed "detail" sections, or sidebars with more detail, or maybe
        some kind of framed solution - I'm not really sure.

        Frankly, I can't think of any great examples on the web that do this
        super well (allow easy flipping between condensed summaries and
        detailed explanations). Perhaps you can find one, or another reader
        of this group knows of one...