Re: Equivalent Words in English for Sankalp etc.

  • sadhak_insight
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2010

      Vasudeva Sarvam

      What are the equivalent words in English for "Sankalp", "Iccha", "Chaahanaa",

      "Manchaahi" and "Kaamanaa"? What are the differences between them, please help
      clarify.
      Thank you very much,
      Most Humbly,
      Sadhak

      Vasudeva Sarvam
      To all sadhaks, in particular Madanji - Thank you! for in concise and crisp manner clarifying the english word.  Now all attention has come to this point that the for "spurnaas" to become into "sankalp" what must be done to prevent that change from taking place?  Humbly,
      Sadhak

      Shree Hari

      || Ram Ram ||

      Dear Sadhak, thanks for the follow-up question!

      If an aspirant does not get attached to the thought, this is a 'Sphurana' only and it vanishes. On the contrary, If it gets attached to the mind, becomes a mental resolve, it assumes the shape of a 'Sankalpa'. Having a 'Sankalpa' means that we want to derive pleasure from the world by attaching importance to worldly objects, the aspirant's mind becomes impure.

      According to Swamiji Maharaj, when a spiritual aspirant has one firm aim (Drida Udeshya) of God-realization only, his mind gets purified much more quickly, than by any other method.

      The nature of the world involves two entities only: Padartha (Objects) and Kriya (Actions), union and separation from the 'Padartha' is a must (either the objects leave us or we leave the objects), and the actions too have a beginning and an end. But when we utilize the objects and actions in the service of others, without any expectation, then the relationship with the world drops off.

      An aspirant should renounce the world by thinking that it involves 'neither one's own welfare' nor 'of the world', it is conductive neither to the service of the family nor it is for God-realization. One should rationalize that the very nature of the world is to constantly change. How is it possible then to derive lasting happiness from something which is changing constantly?

      To renounce the attachment with the world, the following methods are recommended in Sadhak Sanjivani (in English, page 699, Gita: 6-4):

      1. God has bestowed this human birth, the last of all births upon us, by His grace for our salvation. So, we cannot waste this valuable time of human life in futile thoughts of the world. By thinking so, the pursuit of mind can be renounced.

      2. An aspirant following the Discipline of Action, has to discharge his duty, without attachment (Gita: 3-19) at present, while the thoughts that come to his mind, are either of the past or the future. So an aspirant should not get entangled in them.

      3. An aspirant following the discipline of Devotion, should think that God is existent here and now, God is only his and he is in Him only, while the thoughts that come to the mind are either of the past or the future. So, it is mistake to think of the pursuits which do not exist now, but instead should think of God, Who is existence now. By thinking so, an aspirant should renounce all thoughts of the world.

      || Ram Ram ||

      Humble regards,
      Madan Kaura

      Hari Om

      A 'sphurana' becomes 'sankalpa' when you give respect to that 'sphurana' by way of like/dislike. If you ignore any sphurana (aagma paayano anitya- 2:14) and do not attach to it by raag or dvesha, it goes away as naturally as it comes.

      Jai Shree Krishna

      Vyas N B

      Dear brother

      The meanings of the four words are:

      Sankalp: Oath

      Iccha (spell it ichchha): wish

      Chaahna: Want

      Manchaahi: heartfelt desire

      Kaamana: Yearning

      I won't claim to be an authority on language but I will try to explain the
      differences between the five words.
      Sankalp means oath. In spiritual terms, it means sticking to the discipline one
      has decided to follow.
      There is no difference between, wish, desire, want or yearning as all of them
      are basically desires.
      But yes, there are three words in Sanskrit which needs to be discussed about.
      The three words are Kutoohala, Jigyasa (Jijnasa) and Mumuksha.
      Kutoohala- could be described as curiosity. Like a kid tosses hundreds of
      question towards his parents but is least bothered to know the answer.
      Jigyasa: It could be described as a desire to know things. Jigyasa is better
      than Kutoohala but the desire could die soon because the person never
      follows up his wish properly. Jigyasa is often related to the physical plane.
      Mumuksha is something that is the earnest desire to know things. Mostly it is
      related  to spirituality. It's literal mean is the person who is longing for
      Moksha and can't live without it.

      Sankalp", "Iccha", "Chaahanaa",
      "Manchaahi" and "Kaamanaa"
      GMANJU SAINATH

      Dear sadhaks,

      Sankalp is a word that comes in jaina, hindu texts, it  means a bondage to do pooja to parmatama for some desire. God permits us to do sankalp because then we get the truth that all ends with the world and time and only truth is god. But still buddhi cannot remain without sankalp because its its nature and so even a desireless sankalp is a sankalp as buddhi and body are going to have bondage in any circumstance. So god you see when a brahmin does sankalp with rice water , flowers, kush for pooja he does it for good of world, person, jajman. rice kush flowers are added so that no rakshasi shaktis destroy the pure sankalp, sankalp in english means an determination, Like I will become a , clerk, manager someday or a director of a company or a prime minster. So sankalp is not bad but it should be seen that the godly end to serve the humanity or person is not corrupted once detrmination is done by the jajman. As sankalp is a worship pledge to god and to serve it for loss of humnaity or moral crudeity is not approved by god.

      So sankalp is determination for a rigtheous act to meet a righteous end without wavering once the greed of the person is met.

      regards

      Kalrav Pande

      Shree Hari

      || Ram Ram ||

      Dear Sadhaka, thanks for your question! In my humble opinion, there are no good equivalent words in English language, all terms in your question are covered by on word 'Desire' only.

      Sankalapa

      Thinking about sense objects again and again, remembering them again and again, are called 'Sphuranas', meaning-- 'these set of sense object(s) or thing(s) are good for me', 'they are useful for me, will give me pleasure' - when this thought becomes a mental resolve, it is called a 'Sankalapa'. Similarly the opposite of this, 'set of sense objects or things are not good for me', they are harmful to me' are called Vikalapas, The Sankalapas and Vikalapas keep coming in Budhi (intellect). When Vikalpa is left off (because it is not good for me), then only Sankalapa remains, then 'Iccha' is born, demanding 'I must have these sense objects, they should be mine'. This rising of Iccha in the 'antahkarna' to obtain these objects is called 'Kamna' (or desire). A perfect Karmayogi does not have both 'Iccha' and/or 'Kamna'.

      The cause of Kamna is Sankalapa, the effect of Sankalapa is Kamna. Sankalapa and Kamna, both are the seeds of Karma. When there is no Sankalapa or Kamna, the Karmas become Akarma (the Karmas no longer create bondage).

      Swamiji Maharaj defines Kamna in Gita Prabhodini' (Gita 3-37):

      'What I want (Manchahi) should happen, what I do not want should not happen' is 'Kamna

      'When from any action, object or a person, one wishes to draw pleasure, it is ‘Kamna ’.

       The Kamna is considered the root cause of all evils and sins (Gita 3-37, 2/62/63).

      Believe there is no difference between "Iccha" and "Chaahanaa"

      For more detailed explanation of these terms, pls. refer to Sadhka Sanjivani in Hindi or English - (Gita Verses: 4/19, 6/2 and 6/4).

      || Ram Ram ||

       Humble regards,
      Madan Kaura

      aum

      " Hey prabhu .......  narinder  bahut chaahta hai kih koi aisa sankalp  man ki chahana ban jaye, jis ko pura hone par , sab manchaahee  ichhaen  sahaj hi puri hone lagen "

      " narinder ...............   yeh tumahri kaamanaa to puri tabhi ho sakti hai , jab tum se sankalp  karna hi chhutt jaye. Aur is  ichha  ko pura karne ke liye , tum  shastron ke bataye hue raste par chalne ka dridrh  sankalp le lo. Agar yeh kar sako, to manchahee ichha shighar hi poori ho jaye gi. Prantu, narinder, shabdon ke chakkar mein kho mat jaanaa  "

      " O Lord,how  narinder wishes that his mind  is enabled to pursue  deeply a single resolution. the fulfilment of which , finds every wish arising in mind being easily fulfilled "

      " Ah, narinder ......... if this be your desire ............... then with deep determination, resolve to walk the path, shown to you by the saints sages, and scriptures.

      "And , narinder stop wasting time, trying to make words more powerful than they are .......... by trying to intellectually play with their meanings, rather than understand their essence "

      " But Prabhu, narinder is doing that only to reach their essence "

      " And how, pray will the Intellect ever be able to understand the very essence that illumines the Intellect ? Go to the root , narinder, go to the very source of words .............Silence  "

      AUM

      narinder bhandari

      Hari Hari Bol

      Poonamji, aapka bahut bahut dhanyavaad jo aapne itne suljhe huye
      tareeke se "Sankalp" ka meaning samjhaya...yeah, I was thinking of it
      more on the lines of Determination/Resolution...but, as I probably
      just touched upon, something on the pure side...for eg. To take a
      Sankalp of keeping "maun" for a certain period.
      But, as it is, I just got carried in my thoughts and likely just ended
      on a completey different path...
      Sorry for any offense...but, indeed, aapka uttar dekh kar ati anand hua...

      I shall be more careful of what I am saying especially wheb there are
      some really good/gyani folks involved here. Meri tuchchh trutiyon ko
      kshama karen,,,

      Narayan Hari...

      Pankaj Verma

      Chaahanaa is liking something : Rather to desire, to like

      Manchaahi is wanting things to happen according to your desires,  or
      what your mind wants. : One your heart wants to have

      Ichcha: Will, wish

      Like ICHCHA shakti, will power
      RCS

      Per what I understand, the definition for Sankalp as given by Pankaj Verma is inaccurate. The problem being 2 fold. The first one is that we are trying to define in english something that does not exist in the culture that is represented by that language. & since nothing like Sankalp exists in the culture, there was no need for a word that would define it. The 2nd problem is a simpler one, First we must know the basic meaning of Sankalp in Hindi, so it can be defined in english. Sankalp is a pledge, a commitment, an undertaking, a vow, which is made by a person making Ishwar a witness to it. It is much stronger than a resolution. Sankalp is at a much higher level, it involves & engages the person both at the physical, emotional, intellectual & spiritual level. Sankalp may be translated to any of the terms I just mentioned, but desire cannot be used as a synonym even if you so desire. Just like you cannot call a book a kettle.

      Poonam Abbi

      Hare Rama - Hare Krishna !

      The following Gita Slokas have immediately come to my mind and those are steps of senses that lead one from Sankalpa through Kaamanaa, and further up to Pranasyati:

      DHYAYATO VISHAYAN PUMSAH

      SANGASTE SHUUPA JAYATE

      SANGAT SANJAYATHE KAMAH

      KAMA KRODHA BIJAYATHE

      KRODHAD BHAVATI SAMMOHAH

      SAMMOHAT SMRITI VIBHRAMAH

      SMRTI-BHRAMSAD BUDDHI-NASO

      BUDDHI-NASAT PRANASYATI

      Sankalp", =  Imagin

      Iccha", =  liking

      "Chaahanaa", =  desire,

      "Manchaahi" =  instinct

      "Kaamanaa" = deep desire

      Hare Rama - Hare Krishna !

      K. Damodaran Nair
      saMkalpa is determination to do a job
      Icchaa is a desire pertaining to Iha or a materialistic desire (English and othe rnon Indian languages do not distinguish between Aihika (materialistic) and adhi aatmika desires
      Chaahana is a Hindi verb, Hindi being the child of Persian Arabic and Praakriti. The first paart of this word is from Icchaa and the verb formation is Persian Hence it means desiring or even aspiring.
      Man chaahi is yet another Hindi word and translates to desire of Mana (mind or psyche)
      Kaamanaa begins with kaama desire but it really means Wish.

      NOTE: SEVERAL INDIAN/SAMSKRITA WORDS DO NOT HAVE EQUIVALENT VOCABULARY IN NON INDIAN LANGUAGES. IT IS ESSENTIAL WE USE THE ORIGINAL SAMSKRITA WORD AS IT IS RATHER THAN TRANSLATING IT TO A WRONG WORD AND MISLEADING THE READER. THE WORD RELIGION IN ENGLISH HAS NO EQUIVALENT IN SAMSKRITA SINCE WE DO NOT USE RELIGION. OURS WAS DHARMA AND IT IS VASTLY DIFFERENT FROM RELIGION AND ITS BIGOTRY. PAAPA IN DHARMA IS NOT SIN OF RELIGION. SIN CONSISTS OF VIOLATING THAT RELIGIONS REGULATIONS. PAAPA IS CAUSING NEEDLESS INCONVENIENCE TO FELLOW BEINGS.

      PLEASE NOTE THIS. ONE CAN NOT BE DHARMA NIRAPEKSHITA, RATHER A COUNTRY CAN BE RELIGION NIRAPEKSHA

      KRISHNA

      Sir,
      The practical meaning of all these words is related to psychological comfort, comfort through thought.
      This comfort always arises from a sense of lack.
      One takes this comfort as true and is caught.
      Lack to fulfillment(comfort) is system generated movement from moment to moment.
      Mind comes under the illusion that it can have a fulfilled state (psychologically comfortable), makes frantic efforts to reach.
      Y V Chawla

      Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm
      Resolve
      RJK

      Shree Hari   Ram Ram

      KAAMNAA
      -  Desire for sensual enjoyments and pleasures (pertaining to the body) and desire for hoarding - these are called "Kaamnaa" (Sensual Desires).

      SANKALP -  dictionary meaning is strong intentions, will, resolves, aim.

      ICCHA  is Wish

      Chaahanaa is liking something

      Manchaahi is wanting things to happen according to your desires,  or what your mind wants.

      Meera Das,  Ram Ram

      hello..
      it means ur utmost desires..that u wish to achieve...or ur dreams.
      Upasna Bembi

      Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 am
      Dear Sadaks,
      Sankalp means conveying. Example: You are conveying (Sankalp) something during yagna to dead parents, and it reaches like mobile SMS. Here that SMS (Sankalp) can be converted to any material form. But not our SMS.
      Iccha Sakthi, Kriya Sakthi and 3rd one I dont remember. Iccha is trying for something physically or mentally.
      Other 3 words you have mentioned if elaborated as per your posting, may be I can reply.
      B.Sathyanarayan

      Hari Bol...

      Well, Prabhuji, I am in no way qualified to answer this....so, just making an attempt to share my point of view. In my humble opinion, all the words other than "Sankalp" probably mean one and the same thing, dont you think? They all can be described by a single word "Desire".
      "Sankalp" on the other hand, SEEM a little bit pure!

      AH!! Another thought comes to mind. You see, all these are probably just words and could mean anything based on what exactly is the thing being desired! If a Jeev makes a Sankalp to attain Shri Hari, that is indeed where you would use a word Sankalp. However, In My Opinion, the same can be applicable to all the other words. Like "Meri icchaa to sirf Prabhu ka naam lene ki hai" or "Meri Chaahana sirf Shri Hari ke charanon ki hai" or "Meri Kaamanaa hai ki mai Shri Hari ko praapt ho jaaoon". Now, in this, Manchaahi may mean that something you are doing as per whatever you feel rather than following a path described by our saints or Shastras....

      Well....I guess, I am just brainstorming...I hope no offense!

      Hari Hari Bol....Radhey Radhey...Jai Shri Ram...Narayan Narayan...

      Pankaj Verma

      Shree Hari   Ram Ram

      With divine blessings of Lord Krishna and Swamiji,  there is now available to you,  BHAGAVAD GITA AARTI on utube. It is the first of it's kind, very melodious in the voice of Shri Bajrangji Soni, who spent several decades in satsang with Swami Ramsukhdasji.   Please visit :

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fhnXvlnjM

      Kindly take a few minutes and listen so that it can continue to inspire  sadhaks that are dedicating their time to making available these great resources.

      Gita Talk Moderators,   Ram Ram

      Related Link: http://www.swamiramsukhdasji.org
      Post message: gita-talk@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: gita-talk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    • sadhak_insight
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2010

        SHREE HARI RAM RAM

        THIS BRINGS CLOSURE TO THIS TOPIC.  THANK YOU ALL!

        GITA TALK MODERATORS,  RAM RAM

        ===================================

        While exact English equivalents of these words do not exist one can try to convey the sense of these words.
        Sankalp is like an unwavering vow, pledge or commitment and has a deep spiritual significance. Iccha means desire.
        Chaahanaa is liking.
        Manchaahi means what one likes.
        Kaamnaa means a wish.

        Hari Shanker Deo

        Sankalp’s equivalent English word is "Resolve"

          Best wishes,

          Amitabh Sharma

        "The world is a dangerous place, not because of the people who do evil, but beause of the people who allow it to happen." Albert Einstein