[gismonyc] GISMO Bulletin-October 7, 1999

  • whysel@interport.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 1999

      GISMO NEWS TILTS ELECTRONIC

      Beginning with this transmission, GISMO will start to wean itself from dependency on a printed newsletter. While it is likely that we will distribute an abbreviated newsletter prior to the November 17 meeting, we will also urge all to get on line and submit valid email addresses.

      This GISMO release is distributed by our listserv at gismonyc@egroups.com. Subscribers can also receive YOUR messages sent to this address. Current GISMO members with valid email addresses on the GISMO database have already been subscribed. If your email address should change, please update it at the listserv. Those without email can apply for free email services or read postings at the Egroup site. Some items will continue to be posted on the GISMO web page but the long run role of the web page is unclear. Please direct questions, comments and suggestions about this process to Noreen Whysel, our listserv administrator, at whysel@...

      Our procedure for electronic communication is still evolving. The goal is to serve you faster, cheaper, and easier.

      And now the news...

      NJ JOINS NYS GIS COOP

      The state of New Jersey became the second of New York's bordering states to join the NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative. (Vermont was the first.) Many environmental, transportation and public safety issues do not stop at our State boundaries. Having other states as members, facilitates data access without establishing separate data sharing agreements for each project. (Released by Bruce Oswald)

      PARCEL LEVEL INTERACTIVE MAPPING IN LOS ANGELES

      A UCLA website was designed to help uncover urban blight by providing data that indicate housing deterioration. It enables Internet browsers to make maps on such themes as building violations and tax arrears plotted to the street address of the tax parcel. Neighborhood Knowledge Los Angeles (NKLA), http://nkla.sppsr.ucla.edu collects data from a variety of sources including the census. (Forwarded by Bruce Rosen)

      UPCOMING MEETINGS

      Most of the information below arrived too late for the September newsletter but was announced at the September GISMO meeting.

      --AutoCAD/desk seminar 10/13 Haupphauge http://www.eberhard1.com

      --LIGIS meets 10/18 @ Brookhaven National Lab Contact Mary Daum mdaum@...

      --NY New Media Association Super Cybersuds 10/25 4-9PM @ Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W 18 St

      --NE Arc Users meet 11/7-10 Mashantucket, CT http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/nearc99/nearc_home.htm

      --Census 2000 and 1997 Economic Census Conferences 11/17 at 1 World Trade Center- 82 Fl http://www.census.gov or 212-264-4730 (N.B. November 17 is also the date of the next GISMO meeting.).

      GIS/NYC AT THE PANORAMA

      On the weekend of May 6-7, 2000, GISMO and the Queens Museum of Art will sponsor a multimedia program, tentatively titled Maporama 2000, focusing on GIS/NYC. The Panorama is the most impressive "analog GIS" in NYC and suggests comparison with the nascent NYC GIS basemap! About a dozen GISMO members have already submitted proposals. Interested in participating? Contact Sharon Vatsky, Curator of Education-QMA, 718-592-9700 (X131), svatsky@... or Sandra Russell, program chair, 212-669-3756 or Jack Eichenbaum, GISMO Coordinator, jaconet@... This program will coincide with GISMO's 10th anniversary and we should be able to have a party/reception at QMA! (Any party organizers out there?)

    • Ron Green
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 1999
        FYI LIGIS user group meeting Oct 18 @bnl
        see www.ligis.org for newsletter etc..

        ----------
        <P>Beginning with this transmission, GISMO will start to wean itself from

        <P>This GISMO release is distributed by our listserv at <a href="mailto:gismonyc@egroups.com">gismonyc@egroups.com</a>.
        Subscribers can also receive YOUR messages sent to this address. Current
        GISMO members with valid email addresses on the GISMO database have already
        been subscribed. If your email address should change, please update it at the
        listserv. Those without email can apply for free email services or read
        postings at the Egroup site. Some items will continue to be posted on the
        GISMO web page but the long run role of the web page is unclear. Please direct questions, comments and suggestions about this process to Noreen Whysel, our listserv administrator, at <a href=mailto:whysel@...>whysel@...</A>

        <P>Our procedure for electronic communication is still evolving. The goal is to serve you faster, cheaper, and easier.

        <P>And now the news...

        <h3>NJ JOINS NYS GIS COOP</h3>
        <P>The state of New Jersey became the second of New York's bordering states to
        join the NYS GIS Data Sharing Cooperative. (Vermont was the first.) Many
        environmental, transportation and public safety issues do not stop at our
        State boundaries. Having other states as members, facilitates data access
        without establishing separate data sharing agreements for each project.
        (Released by Bruce Oswald)

        <h3>PARCEL LEVEL INTERACTIVE MAPPING IN LOS ANGELES</h3>
        that indicate housing deterioration. It enables Internet browsers to make
        maps on such themes as building violations and tax arrears plotted to the
        street address of the tax parcel. Neighborhood Knowledge Los Angeles (NKLA),

        <h3>UPCOMING MEETINGS</h3>
        <P>Most of the information below arrived too late for the September newsletter
        but was announced at the September GISMO meeting.

        Pavilion, 125 W 18 St
        1 World Trade Center- 82 Fl <a href=http://www.census.gov>http://www.census.gov</a> or 212-264-4730
        (N.B. November 17 is also the date of the next GISMO meeting.).

        <h3>GIS/NYC AT THE PANORAMA</h3>
        sponsor a multimedia program, tentatively titled Maporama 2000, focusing on
        GIS/NYC. The Panorama is the most impressive "analog GIS" in NYC and suggests
        comparison with the nascent NYC GIS basemap! About a dozen GISMO members have
        already submitted proposals. Interested in participating? Contact Sharon
        Vatsky, Curator of Education-QMA, 718-592-9700 (X131), <a href=mailto:svatsky@...>svatsky@...</a>
        or Sandra Russell, program chair, 212-669-3756 or Jack Eichenbaum, GISMO
        Coordinator, <a href=mailto:jaconet@...>jaconet@...</a> This program will coincide with GISMO's 10th anniversary and we should be able to have a party/reception at QMA! (Any party organizers out there?)</html>

        <hr><center>

        </center>