Forest Service 9/11 Living Memorials initiative

  • Steven Romalewski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      I wanted to make sure the GISMO list was aware of the following
      initiative by the US Forest Service. NYPIRG CMAP will be assisting this
      work with our interactive mapping services, and it will be closely tied
      to the OASIS NYC project.

      _______________________________________
      The USDA Forest Service invites proposals from communities and
      organizations to create living memorials that will stand in remembrance
      of the tragic losses that occurred on September 11, 2001 in New York
      City, the Pentagon area, and southwest Pennsylvania. The intent of this
      initiative is to invoke the resonating power of trees to bring people
      together and create lasting, living memorials to the victims of
      terrorism, their families, communities, and the nation.

      Cost-share grants will support the design and development of community
      projects in affected areas. Projects may include participatory site
      planning and design, appropriate site preparation, and tree planting,
      establishment and enhancement. Proposals must address long-term
      maintenance and protection of project sites.

      The recommended range for project funding is between $25,000 and
      $125,000. Deadline for proposals is May 21, 2002. The detailed request
      for proposals (RFP) is online at http://www.livingmemorialsproject.net

      Please visit the project website: http://www.livingmemorialsproject.net
      to learn more. While still under construction, the site will provide
      information about memorials around the country and ways for your
      community to become part of a growing network of those dedicated to
      fostering places of hope, strength and peace.

      For more information, contact:
      matthew hudson arnn, asla
      director, nyc metropolitan initiative

      U S D A forest service
      26 federal plaza, rm 3541
      new york, new york 10278
      212/264-8000x3134
      f.212/264-0246

      marnn@...

      Steven Romalewski
      NYPIRG's Community Mapping Assistance Project (CMAP)
      p: 212-349-6462
      f: 212-349-1366
      sromalewski@...
      http://www.nonprofitmaps.org