[External] Re: [gismonyc] GISMO - Google Event "New Horizons in Emergency Response"

  • george
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hello GISMO Members,

      I have been active in GISMO for many years.
      I have also been a paying member of GISMO/NYS GIS Association since the dues system was initiated.
      The value of paid membership is only as valuable as you make it.
      And if the dues you are asked to pay are unreasonable to you then perhaps you could still follow the list serve until you see some reason to pay the dues and get more involved. There is no fee to be on this list and there has never been one.

      For us members who attended the GISMO meetings at the Fund For NYC when meetings were held on a regular basis and a free lunch was always
      offered we got a lot of value out of the meetings.

      My feeling is since all of the years that built GISMO up to where it is now were free they are worth a donation of dues on a yearly basis now to get it restarted and moving into the future.

      GISMO played a role in NYC's most horrific event 9/11/2001.
      I just lectured a class of homeland security masters degree students at San Diego State University on Thursday night, There is no doubt in my mind that they
      understand the "value" of GISMO after seeing the presentation I gave and demonstrated to them how most of the volunteers at the Emergency Mapping and Data Center at pier 92 were GISMO members.

      Please be involved, Please "STAY" involved and make a donation to the future of GIS in NYC and New York State and above all make a difference in the future that is as important as the role GISMO has played in the past.

      Paying it forward with a membership in GISMO to me is a good investment in the future of GIS worldwide.

      George Davis

      --- In gismonyc@yahoogroups.com, "Leidner, Alan [USA]" wrote:

      > Tim, Let's see if I can give reasonably concise answers to your questions:
      >
      > 1) If you want to create value for members money is always useful. Then
      > it becomes a matter of your strategic use of it. We will have a treasurer
      > and a budget available to members for examination, and expenditures will be
      > planned and reported.
      >
      > 2) GISMO intends to become more active; I would say to the tune of at
      > least four events annually. Plus, there will be many ways that we can
      > benefit from our relationship with the NYSGIS Assn and other state and
      > regional GIS organizations. As current NYSGIS Assn President I can assure
      > you of that. Go to the NYSGIS site and look at the ROI calculation for
      > membership dues. www.nysgis.net
      >
      > 3) It is an article of faith with me that local GIS should not be
      > disaggregated from state GIS. That's my personal belief but it is a very
      > strongly held one since I witnessed how important - even life saving - that
      > link was following 9/11.
      >
      > 4) Hopefully all the things you found useful about GISMO in the past
      > will get better and more things will be added. Your help in this process
      > would be appreciated.
      >
      > 5) GISMO and our whole community would be helped by someone (or by a
      > group) willing to take a leadership role in efforts to encourage and support
      > the sharing of data, which is the life blood of GIS.
      >

      > I would be happy to discuss these matters in more depth with you personally.
      > Just give me a call at 212-551-6416.
      >

      > Best regards, Alan

    • Tim Henderson

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          All,

          What a day! Thank you all for holding up your end with a presentation beyond anyone's expectation. You definitely had the crowd engaged and they, as expected, challenged you as well.

          We look forward to continuing down the road.....Wendy Dorf

          Wrdgis
          wrdgis@...