GISMO - Google Event "New Horizons in Emergency Response"

  • Leidner, Alan [USA]
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013

      To: GISMO Listserve

      From: Wendy Dorf and Alan Leidner

      GISMO is excited to announce a meeting at Google Headquarters in New York City where Google will make a series of presentations under the title “New Horizons in Emergency Management.” Please follow the link below to a Google registration page for the event scheduled for Tuesday, February 19th from 2pm to 6pm. Members of the GISMO community who have paid dues to our organization (via www.nysgis.net) have already been offered reserved seating for this event. If you wish to attend please register as soon as possible via the link since the remaining seats will be made available on a first come, first serve basis. If you do not manage to secure seating at the event, you can listen in via webinar. Information on how to connect to the webinar will be sent out shortly.

      http://lp.google-mkto.com/GISMOEvent2013_Registration.html

      FYI, a group of GISMO veterans has been engaged since October with creating bylaws for GISMO. The bylaws provide for a formal leadership structure composed of a President and a Board of Directors, elected by dues paying GISMO membership of which there are currently 63. You will soon be sent a copy of the proposed bylaws and informed about nominations, a meet the candidates event, and voting. The elections process will play out over the next four months and you will have ample opportunity to become a dues paying GISMO member. To jump start that process go to www.nysgis.net and pay your dues to both the NYSGIS Association and to GISMO since the two organizations are affiliated. At $20 for employed professionals and $10 for students this is really a terrific bargain.

      Feel free to email me at leidners@... or to call me at 212-551-6416 should you have any questions.

      Best regards,     Wendy and Alan

    • gochfeldlaw@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
        Al

        It's been a while since I actually attended a GISMO meeting so I have a question.
        When did GISMO start charging dues to "employed professionals"? (Exactly what is an employed professional and who is considered to be one?)
        What about semi-retired stiffs like myself.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013

          Hey Bob. Spoken like a lawyer. I guess the real difference is between students and those who make money. I don’t think we’ve tackled the in between issue of the retired or semi-retired. But if you’ve got a City pension and are collecting social security and have a little work on the side…$20 is probably not a big deal, especially given that it is tax deductible. In any event…I hope you’re coming to the Google event. Alan

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
            Great reponse

            Wrdgis
            wrdgis@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
              Bob, as someone in a similar position, I echo Al's reply to you.
              Jack

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
                 The fee does seem reasonable but it would be nice to know why it's needed, since the group hasn't been active for a long time now. Are there fees associated with Yahoo Groups? Maybe we could find a university that would host a listserv for us as a public service. Are you planning more activities that would incur costs? Or is it because the NYS GIS Association would like us to sign up with them?
                To me the main benefit of GISMO has been that it's a community of people knowledgeable about GIS. The more it strays into unrelated topics, the more those people are likely to get bored and drop out, and we won't have the benefit of their guidance.
                 I know, for instance, about Google's push into emergency services mapping and it's very impressive, and maybe a presentation about it might be interesting. Mostly I want to hear from members in government and academia about new data sets made available in the city and surrounding areas, and what's being done with them and how.

                --Tim Henderson

                To: GISMO Listserve

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013

                  Tim, Let’s see if I can give reasonably concise answers to your questions:

                  1)      If you want to create value for members money is always useful. Then it becomes a matter of your strategic use of it. We will have a treasurer and a budget available to members for examination, and expenditures will be planned and reported.

                  2)      GISMO intends to become more active; I would say to the tune of at least four events annually. Plus, there will be many ways that we can benefit from our relationship with the NYSGIS Assn and other state and regional GIS organizations. As current NYSGIS Assn President I can assure you of that. Go to the NYSGIS site and look at the ROI calculation for membership dues. www.nysgis.net

                  3)      It is an article of faith with me that local GIS should not be disaggregated from state GIS. That’s my personal belief but it is a very strongly held one since I witnessed how important – even life saving -  that link was following 9/11.

                  4)      Hopefully all the things you found useful about GISMO in the past will get better and more things will be added. Your help in this process would be appreciated.

                  5)      GISMO and our whole community would be helped by someone (or by a group) willing to take a leadership role in efforts to encourage and support the sharing of data, which is the life blood of GIS.

                  I would be happy to discuss these matters in more depth with you personally. Just give me a call at 212-551-6416.

                  Best regards, Alan

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
                    Hello GISMO Members,

                    I have been active in GISMO for many years.
                    I have also been a paying member of GISMO/NYS GIS Association since the dues system was initiated.
                    The value of paid membership is only as valuable as you make it.
                    And if the dues you are asked to pay are unreasonable to you then perhaps you could still follow the list serve until you see some reason to pay the dues and get more involved. There is no fee to be on this list and there has never been one.

                    For us members who attended the GISMO meetings at the Fund For NYC when meetings were held on a regular basis and a free lunch was always
                    offered we got a lot of value out of the meetings.

                    My feeling is since all of the years that built GISMO up to where it is now were free they are worth a donation of dues on a yearly basis now to get it restarted and moving into the future.

                    GISMO played a role in NYC's most horrific event 9/11/2001.
                    I just lectured a class of homeland security masters degree students at San Diego State University on Thursday night, There is no doubt in my mind that they
                    understand the "value" of GISMO after seeing the presentation I gave and demonstrated to them how most of the volunteers at the Emergency Mapping and Data Center at pier 92 were GISMO members.

                    Please be involved, Please "STAY" involved and make a donation to the future of GIS in NYC and New York State and above all make a difference in the future that is as important as the role GISMO has played in the past.

                    Paying it forward with a membership in GISMO to me is a good investment in the future of GIS worldwide.

                    George Davis

                    --- In gismonyc@yahoogroups.com, "Leidner, Alan [USA]" wrote:

                    > Tim, Let's see if I can give reasonably concise answers to your questions:
                    >
                    > 1) If you want to create value for members money is always useful. Then
                    > it becomes a matter of your strategic use of it. We will have a treasurer
                    > and a budget available to members for examination, and expenditures will be
                    > planned and reported.
                    >
                    > 2) GISMO intends to become more active; I would say to the tune of at
                    > least four events annually. Plus, there will be many ways that we can
                    > benefit from our relationship with the NYSGIS Assn and other state and
                    > regional GIS organizations. As current NYSGIS Assn President I can assure
                    > you of that. Go to the NYSGIS site and look at the ROI calculation for
                    > membership dues. www.nysgis.net
                    >
                    > 3) It is an article of faith with me that local GIS should not be
                    > disaggregated from state GIS. That's my personal belief but it is a very
                    > strongly held one since I witnessed how important - even life saving - that
                    > link was following 9/11.
                    >
                    > 4) Hopefully all the things you found useful about GISMO in the past
                    > will get better and more things will be added. Your help in this process
                    > would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > 5) GISMO and our whole community would be helped by someone (or by a
                    > group) willing to take a leadership role in efforts to encourage and support
                    > the sharing of data, which is the life blood of GIS.
                    >

                    > I would be happy to discuss these matters in more depth with you personally.
                    > Just give me a call at 212-551-6416.
                    >

                    > Best regards, Alan

                  • Tim Henderson

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
                        All,

                        What a day! Thank you all for holding up your end with a presentation beyond anyone's expectation. You definitely had the crowd engaged and they, as expected, challenged you as well.

                        We look forward to continuing down the road.....Wendy Dorf

                        Wrdgis
                        wrdgis@...