Sloan Public Service Awards for NYC GIS base map

  • jaconet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2001
      This is to let the New York City GIS Community know that three of this
      years' Sloan Public Service Awards - given by the Fund for the City of New
      York - will be given to Richard Steinberg of the Department of City
      Planning, Wendy Dorf of the Department of Environmental Protection and Alan
      Leidner of the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications.
      Consider this also as an honor for many who labored on NYC GIS issues..

      If you have the time and inclination to attend the awards ceremony please
      feel free to come to the Great Hall at the Cooper Union, Cooper Square, 7th
      Street and Third Avenue, Manhattan on Wednesday, March 14th. Doors open at
      5:00PM and the awards ceremony starts at 5:45PM.

      The following is an open letter from Jack Eichenbaum who cannot attend the
      awards presentation:

      March 9, 2001

      To Alan Leidner, Wendy Dorf and Richard Steinberg

      Congratulations to all of you for your critical role in stitching, shaping
      and shepherding the New York City GIS base map from vague conjecture to
      accessible reality.

      I am delighted that the Fund for the City of New York has recognized your
      achievement by presenting you with Sloan Public Service Awards. The ceremony
      on March 14 will acknowledge your dedication over many years. It will also
      underscore the importance of an easily accessible GIS utility for city
      government and the larger community of GIS users in Greater New York.

      I regret that I am unable to honor you in person.  I will be on an
      exploration of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas, a trip that I had planned for
      some time.

      Having spent many hours with all of you in tedious committee meetings,
      necessary arguments, and fruitless searches for funding and understanding, I
      am well aware of what you have accomplished. Veteran GIS proponents who
      networked through GISMO know this also. But for those that don't know, I am
      posting a copy of this letter on the GISMO listserv.

      Yours sincerely,
      Jack Eichenbaum.
      GISMO Coordinator