File - GISMO Listserv Guidelines.txt

  • gismonyc@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 100 , Dec 1, 2009
      GISMO Listserv Guidelines

      The following topics are covered in this message:

      1. What is Virtual GISMO?
      2. What is the GISMONYC listserv?
      3. How do I subscribe to GISMONYC?
      4. How do I post a message to GISMONYC?
      5. What types of messages can I post?
      6. How are messages stored?
      7. How do I reply to posted messages?
      8. How do I change my email address?
      9. What do I do if I want access to the GISMONYC site, but
      I don't want all that email?
      10. How do I unsubscribe from GISMONYC?
      11. Questions?

      1. What is Virtual GISMO?

      Virtual GISMO is a subgroup of GISMO devoted to facilitating the online communications of the group, via a web site (http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/gismo), and a suite of online communication
      tools located at Yahoo! Groups (http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/gismonyc). The web site includes information about GISMO meetings, functioning and policies, subgroups, contacts and archives and acts as the main portal for the communication tools. The Yahoo! Groups site contains an interactive calendar, listserv/bulletin board, polling tool, member directory, links and file archives. As of the September 1999 issue, the GISMO newsletter is also being stored at the Yahoo! Groups site. Each of these tools is linked from within the GISMO site for easier navigation.

      2. What is the GISMO listserv?

      The GISMONYC listserv is GISMO's most active communication tool, and is located at Yahoo! Groups: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/gismonyc. The listserv is a moderated email list that allows members to send email messages to the entire group using a single address. Messages can be read on the web site by anyone, regardless of whether they are a member of GISMO, but you must be a registered member of GISMONYC to post or receive messages in your email box. Other content on the Yahoo! Groups site, such as the file vault and member directory, is not viewable by the general public.

      3. How do I subscribe to GISMONYC?

      To subscribe to the GISMONYC, you must be a GISMO member. Either you have attended at least one GISMO meeting and have filled out a member form or you mailed a form and submitted a personal paragraph. New members are added to the list after each meeting as the database is updated. If you do not receive an email invitation to join the listserv, you may subscribe by sending a blank message to:

      gismonyc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Once your GISMO membership is verified, you will be added to the list.

      4. How do I post a message to the GISMONYC?

      gismonyc@yahoogroups.com

      or, use the online form located at:

      While you do not need to be registered with Yahoo! to post or receive GISMONYC messages via email, if you wish to use the online form to post a message, or to review any other members-only areas of the site, such as Files, Polls and Databases, you must be logged into Yahoo! Groups with a Yahoo! ID. To create a Yahoo! ID, visit http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register.

      Once your message is approved by the listserv administrator, it will be sent to all members of the group and stored in a searchable Bulletin Board archive at:

      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/gismonyc/messages

      5. What types of messages can be posted?

      The list is moderated to ensure that messages are appropriate to GISMO interests. Feel free to post any message on GIS and mapping related topics, including upcoming events, reviews, commentaries, etc. Ideas are not censored; however, personal, off-topic and overtly commercial messages will not be approved. The administrator will usually notify you if a message is not approved, or to verify whether a message of a personal nature was intended to be sent to the group.

      The only exception to the no advertising rule is that Yahoo! Groups, our site host, requires discreet advertising at the end of each emailed message. (Not so discreet on the site, but that is the price of a free site).

      Meeting minutes and articles of interest to GISMO members are periodically posted to the listserv. If you have written a piece that you believe is appropriate for archiving on GISMONYC, please forward a message to gismonyc-owner@yahoogroups.com, copying Jack Eichenbaum at jaconet@.... This way, we can review the content of the essay, and proof and format it before it is saved in the File folders and forwarded on to the group.

      7. How do I reply to posted messages?

      The listserv is moderated by the listserv administrator. If you believe your reply is of interest to the entire group, feel free to respond directly to the listserv address. Otherwise, reply just to the original sender. Refer to your email program's "Reply" and "Reply To" functions to determine the best way to send your reply.

      Please remember, however, that when you reply to the listserv, the reply will be sent to over 400 people! If the reply is intended only for a specific individual, please delete the listserv address in the To: field and type in the individual's address before sending. Messages that are obviously intended for the sender and not the entire group will be forwarded to the original poster and marked "Ignore" by the listserv administrator.

      8. How do I change my email address?

      Please send any email address changes to the listserv owner at gismonyc-owner@yahoogroups.com, including your name, old email address and new email address, so that we can verify the change against the GISMO member database. Please note that if you are changing your email address, do not just send a message to gismonyc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Your identity as a GISMO member may be unknown, and the list owner will have to contact you anyway for your name and old email.

      You may also update your email and other information via your Yahoo! member profile by visiting this address: http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile?.intl=us&.done=http://groups.yahoo.com. Enter your password to access your profile. Please note that the Yahoo! database is maintained separately from the GISMO member database. Therefore, if you update your email address at Yahoo!, you will also need to forward the change to gismonyc-owner@yahoogroups.com so the change can be reflected appropriately in the database.

      9. What do I do if I want access to the GISMONYC site, but
      I don't want all that email?

      If you cancel your membership with GISMO or GISMONYC, your email will be removed from the Yahoo! Groups list.

      11. Questions?

      Please refer any questions about the listserv or the Yahoo! Groups site to:

      Message 100 of 100 , Apr 1 12:56 AM
[...]

        Messages can be viewed either by date or by thread.