IDEA Conference: October 3-5

  • Noreen Whysel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007
      I am writing to invite you all to attend IDEA 2007 to be held at
      Parsons School of Design on NYC on October 3-5. Presentations of
      interest to GISMO members include Chenda Fruchter of NYC's 311/
      Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications and Jake
      Barton of Local Projects, who is partnering on the design of the 9/11
      memorial, among other speakers.

      Check out the program at http://www.ideaconference.org

      About IDEA 2007:

      IDEA stands for Information: Design, Experience, Access. The
      conference is organized by the Information Architecture Institute:
      http://iainstitute.org/.

      IDEA is unique in how it brings together designers from a variety of
      backgrounds and disciplines to address the challenge of designing
      complex information spaces. Presenters come from fields including
      design, interaction design, information architecture, visualization,
      communication design, design planning, exhibit design, librarianship,
      media art, cultural criticism, computer networking, and geographic
      information systems.

      IDEA pre-conference (Oct 3) offers hands-on training to teach methods
      for gathering, organizing, and diagramming domain knowledge for
      interaction & services design. The workshop will take place on October
      3rd. Attendance is limited to the first 50 registrants. David Bishop
      from MAYA Design will lead a full day tutorial and hands-on workshop
      on gathering, organizing and diagramming domain knowledge to empower
      IA's and design practitioners to drive the UI design process.

      2007 conference speakers (Oct 4 and 5) will include Alex Wright (Glut:
      Mastering Information Through the Ages), Chenda Fruchter (NYC 311/
      Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications), David
      Rose (Ambient Devices), David Weinberger (Everything is Miscellaneous)
      Fernanda Viegas with Martin Wattenberg (Many Eyes), Hasan Elahi
      (Tracking Transience), Jake Barton (Local Projects), Kevin Slavin
      (area/code), Michael Wesch (The Machine is Us/ing Us), Mike Kuniavsky
      (ThingM, WineM) Rachel Abrams (Turnstone Consulting), Sylvia Harris
      (Information Design Strategist), Bob Freeman (Radical Media.)

      Cheers.
    • jaconet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007
        noreen- I have some time next week but don't want to commit too much at this point.
        Where do you think I would be most useful?

        Jack

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007

          Congratulations, Jack. It’s great to “see” you on NYT. Btw, I am also a terrible stander. I am glad that I am not alone J

          All the best!

          Lacey

          Wai Sze (Lacey) Chan

          Information and Data Analysis Librarian

          New Americans Program

          Queens Library

          89-11 Merrick Blvd.

          Jamaica, NY 11432

          E-mail: wai.chan@...

          TEL: 718-990-8656

          FAX: 718-990-8626

          Webpage: http://www.queenslibrary.org

          The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
            Thanks Lacey.
            I've really enjoyed the kind words so many have sent..
            JE