Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Lars's Mug?

  • Mary Lowe-Hentges
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2005
      [It looks completely like "MECHANICSB" to me. Maybe you need a
      bigger screen?]

      Better glasses for me

      Annechen Loewenstein
      non scripta non est
    • pmaclanderson
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2005
        I can see it now, but the C still looks like a T to me - I understand
        that in hands without the lower curl in C that's a common palaeographic
        error; and the top curl *is* crossed.

        And is SOUVINIR for souvenir intentional? - in Mechanicsburg nowadays
        that may be the best French available...

        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, David Goldfarb <goldfarb@o...> wrote:

        > It looks completely like "MECHANICSB" to me. Maybe you need a
        > bigger screen?
        >
        > --
      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2005
          >And is SOUVINIR for souvenir intentional? - in Mechanicsburg nowadays
          >that may be the best French available...

          I don't know about the spelling. However, I just got a picture of an
          souvenir glass cup from a seaside resort in Ancient Rome, so I'd say the
          concept was probably there.

          Debbie
          http://www.brigidsforge.com
          Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

          "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-oriented
          programming."

        • David Goldfarb
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2005
            From: Debbie <lioness@...>
            >However, I just got a picture of an
            >souvenir glass cup from a seaside resort in Ancient Rome, so I'd say the
            >concept was probably there.

            Is the picture webbed? I've long thought that Ancient Rome must have
            had shops selling tacky souvenirs, it would be cool to see proof of
            this however.

            --
            David Goldfarb |"My agent's negotiating for a half-hour cooking
            goldfarb@... |program, you know..."
            |salads, tossing bodies -- it's all the same to me."
          • Sci
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2005
              > [It looks completely like "MECHANICSB" to me. Maybe you need a
              > bigger screen?]
              >
              > Better glasses for me

              Nah, you just need some steam-powered eyes.

              Self-installing, of course.

              ~ Sci
            • Sci
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                > >However, I just got a picture of an
                > >souvenir glass cup from a seaside resort in Ancient Rome, so I'd say the
                > >concept was probably there.
                >
                > Is the picture webbed? I've long thought that Ancient Rome must have
                > had shops selling tacky souvenirs, it would be cool to see proof of
                > this however.

                Someone also found a tablet describing the problem of drunken young men
                after colloseum games.
                Hummanity doesn't change, it just gets older, y'know?

                ~ Sci
              • John Reiher
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                  On May 3, 2005, at 3:30 AM, Sci wrote:

                  >> [It looks completely like "MECHANICSB" to me. Maybe you need a
                  >> bigger screen?]
                  >>
                  >> Better glasses for me
                  >
                  > Nah, you just need some steam-powered eyes.
                  >
                  > Self-installing, of course.

                  How about Bionic eyes?

                  http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2005/05/02/
                  six_previously_blind_patients_detect_light_motion_identify_objects_with_
                  retinal_prostheses.html

                  http://tinyurl.com/9fcjp

                  --
                  ------------------------
                  Kedamono@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                    [How about Bionic eyes?]

                    I'm waiting for the laser upgrades to be debugged.

                    Annechen Loewenstein
                    non scripta non est
                  • John Fiala
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                      On 5/3/05, Mary Lowe-Hentges <annechen67@...> wrote:
                      > [How about Bionic eyes?]
                      >
                      > I'm waiting for the laser upgrades to be debugged.

                      Bah! They are not *bugs*. They are Undocumented Features!

                      Besides, eyelids are overrated and unnecessary when your eyes have an
                      off switch.

                      --
                      John Fiala
                    • Debbie
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                        > From: Debbie <lioness@m...>
                        > >I just got a picture of an souvenir glass cup from a seaside resort
                        > >in Ancient Rome, so I'd say the concept was probably there.
                        >
                        > Is the picture webbed? I've long thought that Ancient Rome must
                        >have had shops selling tacky souvenirs, it would be cool to see proof
                        > of this however.

                        http://www.diamondpoint.fsnet.co.uk/history.htm Scroll down to the
                        first picture

                        My mistake, it's an etched glass bottle not a glass cup, but they
                        doubtless had earthenware mugs for sale alongside it.

                        I found the picture in an OOP Dover collection, _Roman Glass in the
                        Corning Museum of Glass. Here's the writeup:

                        "This bottle was decorated by abrading the surface. It belongs to a
                        group of nine vessels, all of similar form, decorated with waterfront
                        scenes and inscriptions. The scenes fall into two groups. The first
                        includes a lake, palace, oyster bed, jetty and columns. The second
                        has an ampitheater, theater, stadium, temple, jetty and columns.
                        Inscriptions on some examples identify the first group as Baiae, a
                        Roman harbor town and resort on the Bay of Naples; and the second
                        group as neighboring Puteoli. This example, known as the Populonia
                        Bottle, belongs to the first group. It is named after the place where
                        it was found, Populonia (modern Piombino)in Tuscany."

                        The book has several examples of earlier and better Roman glass. The
                        Populonia bottle is fairly late and fairly crude. What's eerie is
                        that the multi-colored glass objects from Ancient Rome look exactly
                        like those funky-looking modern Italian textiles. Apparently their
                        tastes are remarkably stable. But I've read the same thing recently
                        about Ango-Saxon men's clothes and Slavic and Southern European
                        decorative motifs, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

                        BTW, they not only had tacky souvenirs but personalized mugs as well.
                        When A&E did that series on the Seven Wonders they visited the site
                        where the statue of Zeus was built. When they excavated it they found
                        a mug with "(the master sculptor's name) owns me" inscribed on it.
                        > --
                        > David Goldfarb |"My agent's negotiating for a half-hour
                        cooking program, you know..." "Just cooking?" "Cooking and anti-
                        personnel weaponry. Tossing salads, tossing bodies -- it's all the
                        same to me."

                        :( Hey, no fair hitting me with a Juday and Horatio quote when I'm
                        already pining for Nexus!

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3, 2005
                          The switch *has* been known to break in the off position; if it breaks,
                          just call and read us the number handily encoded on your cheek.
                          Alternatively, home-repair instructions have been included in the
                          packet in seventeen languages; we plan to add Braille versions in 2008.

                          =