Re: Just picked up GG 4 from my local co

  • noonblue
    Message 1 of 774 , Aug 24, 2001
      This begs the question, then...Why are you
      SUPPRESSING the original source materials??<br><br>What do
      you hope to gain?(Besides our undying admiration &
      mindless fan worship; you've got that
      already.)<br><br>While you're at it, I understand that Transylvania
      Polygnostic has the last extant copy of the original S.
      Morgenstern edition of The Princess Bride. We demand that it
      be made
      fact that the covers to the comics don't match the
      "facts" shown in the interiors. Here is why. The covers
      are actually taken from old postcards which are still
      sold in the Agatha Heterodyne gift shop at
      Transylvania Polygnostic University. They were drawn to look
      good and convey an impression at the expense of
      certain historical facts. They are presented in the
      comics as historical memorabilia in the same way that a
      book about Napoleon might use as its cover an
      idealized but slightly incorrect painting of the great man.
      Rest assured that we (Professors Foglio & Foglio of
      Transylvania Polygnostic) have made every attempt to keep the
      interior story as true to (our version of) history as our
      extensive research permits, with few deviations into
      guesswork or revision for dramatic effect. Except where we
      think it would be funny. And that thing with the hands,
      which was a mistake and will be corrected in the
      collected textbook. Which will be colored, by the way.
      Revisionist History<br>Transylvania Polygnostic University
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.