Artistic License (or Re: [Girl Genius] The mostrousness of the horse.)

  • gizmo_tinkerer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2005
      Hi,

      I took the spikes on the head of the Cthonic Horse-Thing as "artistic
      license" so a reader could ID the remains. Remember, a roadside
      storyteller and the Winslow are the primary source.

      I woke up one morning and started to write a short fanfic about how
      the Dingbots work, but then realized A) Phil and Kaja would never read
      it and B) there is no Studio Foglio equivalent of the Marvel "No
      Prize".

      Please skip this part Kaja and Phil.

      Actually you both have it wrong, Wrong, WRONG, I tell you.

      The spikes are acutally crystallized sunspots used to collect
      phlogiston for its flaming breath. By utilizing the phlogiston
      absorption properties it makes the collectors invisible to normal
      sight. The appearance of the collectors reveals the switching
      to "release" instead of "collect". The phlogiston is then ignited by
      the ejection of a small, white hot, diamond from the head orifice.

      Note the crystallized zephyrs that appear to be ribs. They are used
      to collect spirits from the air, thus allowing it to sneak up on its
      prey. With the loss of its "head", the creature used them to generate
      micro-vortex-tornadoes like tentacles to grab Zeetha.

      -Gizmo

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <whitewings@s...>
      wrote:

      > On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:07 AM, pmaclanderson wrote:
      >
      > > Looking at the skeleton in the fire, I see that the spikes it grew
      > > while fighting Lars, instantly, in between panels, are hard enough
      that
      > > they haven't burnt - true bone, or very hard horn.
      >
      > It seems more likely that the spikes protuded, rather than grew. The
      > "horse" always had them, they were just concealed.
    • pmaclanderson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2005
        And I thought concluding that it "learned" fire from Lars's torch was
        far-out!

        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gizmo_tinkerer"
        <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@A...> wrote:

        > The spikes are acutally crystallized sunspots used to collect
        > phlogiston for its flaming breath. By utilizing the phlogiston
        > absorption properties it makes the collectors invisible to normal
        > sight. The appearance of the collectors reveals the switching
        > to "release" instead of "collect". The phlogiston is then ignited
        by
        > the ejection of a small, white hot, diamond from the head orifice.
        >
        > Note the crystallized zephyrs that appear to be ribs. They are
        used
        > to collect spirits from the air, thus allowing it to sneak up on
        its
        > prey. With the loss of its "head", the creature used them to
        generate
        > micro-vortex-tornadoes like tentacles to grab Zeetha.
        >
        > -Gizmo
      • pmaclanderson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2005
          If it can grow a second mouth at Marvel-Comics speed, why not horns?

          wrote:

          > On Apr 30, 2005, at 11:07 AM, pmaclanderson wrote:
          >
          > > Looking at the skeleton in the fire, I see that the spikes it grew
          > > while fighting Lars, instantly, in between panels, are hard enough
          that
          > > they haven't burnt - true bone, or very hard horn.
          >
          > It seems more likely that the spikes protuded, rather than grew. The
          > "horse" always had them, they were just concealed.

        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2005
            Y'all had to go set off dh the molecular biologist:

            "The natural state of muscle is to contract. A shapeshifter would
            require energy to change form. If it's dead, it can't generate the
            energy needed, and the corpse would probably stay in the form in which
            it died."

            Debbie
            http://www.brigidsforge.com
            Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

            "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-
            oriented programming."