Quotations for Mad Scientists...

  • Kedamono
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2002
      Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't
      mean it's useless.
      -- Thomas A. Edison

      The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
      agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
      professionals. We cause accidents.
      -- Nathaniel Borenstein
    • mr_sites
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2002
        Your quotes inspired me, and I found these:

        -- Thomas A. Edison

        Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
        -- Thomas A. Edison

        Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
        thousand things that won't work.
        -- Thomas A. Edison

        -- Wernher von Braun
      • mr_sites
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2002
          Help, I can't stop!

          There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this
          line.
          -- Oscar Levant (1906 - 1972)

          Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
          violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to
          move in the opposite direction.
          -- E. F. Schumacher

          Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame.
          -- Lydia M. Child

          There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
          -- Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD), Epistles

          When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this
          sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
          -- Jonathan Swift, Thoughts on Various Subjects

          discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
          -- Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

          Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.
          -- Napoleon

          The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
          that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot
          possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to
          get at and repair.
          -- Douglas Adams, _Mostly Harmless_
        • jimtheconsultant
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18, 2002
            Alright, this may not fit exactly, but it is one of my favorite
            quotations, by one of my favorite mad (well, perhaps not mad, but
            certainly annoyed) scientists - Nicola Tesla.

            "If Edison had to find a needle in a haystack, he would proceed with
            the diligence of a bee to examine straw after straw until he found
            [it]. I was a sorry witness to such doings ... a little theory ...
            would have saved him ninety percent of his labor."

            Probably the most scathing reply I can imagine to Edison's quip
            (previously mentioned) of:

            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work."

            And one more, less negative, actually quite positive, from one of the
            nicest mad scientists ever to grace our reality - Albert Einstein.

            "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used
            when we created them."

            Thanks for listening

            Jim
          • Jishin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 18, 2002
              Girl Genius is great.
              Phil and Kaja are evil.
              Fans must wait too long.

              Cliffhangers are fun.
              Three months delay is torture.
              Book should be weekly.

              Hot sparky mad-girl.
              Agatha Heterodyne.
              I wish she were here.

              Kusanagi

              Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.
              Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
            • m_randalt
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 19, 2002
                Ha! Here's my installment:

                Herr Baron Klaus says
                "Don't make me come over there!"
                The Pax Wulfenbach

                -Randalt

                --- In girlgenius@y..., Jishin <jishin@b...> wrote:
                > Girl Genius is great.
                > Phil and Kaja are evil.
                > Fans must wait too long.
                >
                > Cliffhangers are fun.
                > Three months delay is torture.
                > Book should be weekly.
                >
                > Hot sparky mad-girl.
                > Agatha Heterodyne.
                > I wish she were here.
                >

                > Kusanagi
                >
                > Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.
                > Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
              • tomreedtoon
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2002
                  --- In girlgenius@y..., "Kedamono" <kedamono@a...> wrote:
                  > Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't
                  > mean it's useless.
                  > -- Thomas A. Edison

                  Documentary evidence proves that this does not represent Edison's
                  feelings. Listen to Stan Freberg's "The United States of America,
                  Volume 2 - The Middle Years." Edison throws out the phonograph, which
                  is the invention he created to entertain dogs; the lop-eared pup he
                  tested it on ran away, yelping. He also throws out the 21-inch vacuum
                  tube, saying "Doesn't pick up dirt worth a darn."

                  And his original light bulb was meant to last forever, until a
                  military man (named General Electric) convinced him that, to keep a
                  healthy economy, light bulbs had to burn out. Listen to the CD for
                  the evidence.
                • Kedamono
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 17, 2002
                    I can forgive Alfred Nobel for having invented dynamite, but only a
                    fiend in human form could have invented the Nobel Prize.
                    -- George Bernard Shaw

                    If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more
                    justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power -
                    would be justified insilencing mankind.
                    -- John Stuart Mill

                    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do
                    the work of one extraordinary man.
                    -- Elbert Hubbard

                    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
                    -- Isaac Asimov

                    The creator of the universe works in mysterious ways. But he uses a
                    base ten counting system and likes round numbers.
                    -- Scott Adams

                    The average Ph.D. thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from
                    one graveyard to another.
                    -- J. Frank Dobie, "A Texan in England", 1945

                    All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.
                    -- Sean O'Casey

                    The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
                    understand.
                    -- Frank Herbert

                    --

                    Kedamono

                    Need a pick me up? Say hi to Hello Smilodon! Available at the Hello
                    Smilodon Shop: http://www.cafepress.com/shopAHTG2