Web site catchup

  • studiofoglio
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
      Hello again--

      Thank you everyone who has had a look at the site and sent comments--
      I'm still working on it and many of the comments have been very
      helpful. (Some have made me sink in horror at the idea of the vast
      amount of work involved, but I have a fine supply of port of such
      occasions and I persevere.)

      Are a lot of people having to scroll sideways to read the whole comic
      page? The resolution varies greatly on our screens here, but I didn't
      think I was out of the range of the reasonable.

      We will be posting two TPU "classes." A 101 for new readers which
      will continue what's already there with issue one on, and the main
      event-- the Advanced class for those who have been following the comic
      all along. I've been working on the Advanced class page, so that's
      what everybody has been seeing. It's the main design for the whole site.

      The page that you've been seeing uses a lot of tables, yes. It is
      also using a lot of PHP "include" tags, so that I can change the
      elements common to all pages once and have the change reflected all
      over the place. Css might do this better, I don't know, but I do know
      that I know nothing much about CSS.

      The Studio Foglio shopping cart is slow-response, eh? It's giving me
      more trouble... grr. I'm using Miva, but I wonder what else is out
      there that might work better. A problem for a little later, I think.

      I do try to keep things fairly simple, I don't really like beeping
      tweeting sites. But we are pretty art heavy, and that slows things
      down. I don't know what to do about that, really, although I have a
      couple of ideas to try on the Studio Foglio site.

      We like the idea of Cd collections, and will get to it right after we
      do the radio plays and the animation. I'll have to get some of these
      other companies'products to see how they put them together.

      The Krosp doll is great, we've mostly kept it away from the sticky
      goblins. Thanks!

      Must go, goblin attack.

      --Kaja
    • Elizabeth McCoy
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
        At 6:47 PM +0000 4/8/05, studiofoglio wrote:
        >Are a lot of people having to scroll sideways to read the whole comic
        >page?

        I might, but I deliberately keep my browser screens at a less-than-fullscreen
        size in order to keep an eye on the MU*s that are in the background.

        (This means I _detest_ text that does not adjust itself to fit my browser!
        But for Girl Genius? I will live.)

        >we are pretty art heavy, and that slows things
        >down. I don't know what to do about that, really, although

        A bare-bones script-only page? O:>

        --
        --Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
        http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2005
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Are a lot of people having to scroll sideways to read the whole
          comic
          > page?

          I didn't have to scroll sideways to read the whole comic page, only
          to see the right column. I keep my resolution at 800x600.

          > We will be posting two TPU "classes." A 101 for new readers which
          > will continue what's already there with issue one on, and the main
          > event-- the Advanced class for those who have been following the
          comic
          > all along.

          Great idea!

          > The page that you've been seeing uses a lot of tables, yes. It is
          > also using a lot of PHP "include" tags, so that I can change the
          > elements common to all pages once and have the change reflected all
          > over the place. Css might do this better, I don't know, but I do
          know
          > that I know nothing much about CSS.

          When I redesigned our shop's website, I went the whole nine yards and
          used CSS for design and includes for repetitive content. It makes it
          sooo much easier to update the site! Includes aren't just for PHP.
          You can put them in regular HTML files. It's not much harder than
          learning to use the "CHMOD" command on your FTP program. CSS is
          fairly easy. You just make one file that contains all your style
          elements, instead of littering every HTML file with font tags
          and "border=0".

          > I do try to keep things fairly simple, I don't really like beeping
          > tweeting sites. But we are pretty art heavy, and that slows things
          > down. I don't know what to do about that, really, although I have a
          > couple of ideas to try on the Studio Foglio site.

          Really, ditching Javascript and avoiding nested tables can do
          wonders. Using CSS (even if just for fonts and backgrounds) can also
          make your pages much smaller.

          > We like the idea of Cd collections, and will get to it right after
          we
          > do the radio plays and the animation. I'll have to get some of
          these
          > other companies'products to see how they put them together.

          Yay! Hope that makes up for my whining. :P

          Dava
        • Elizabeth McCoy
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
            It occurred to me that there could be worse crazy ideas than finding a
            translator and talking to Studio Ghibli in Japan. They recently did
            Howl's Moving Castle and the author was reportedly satisfied with the
            adaptation; they already have a unique style that's more "realistic"
            than a lot of anime; their cats blew me away in _Return of the Cat_;
            and they'd probably have a field day with all the mechastuff -- from
            _Castle in the Sky_ and _Nausicaa,_ it's pretty clear that they go
            squee at blimps and ornithopters and Cool Gizmos.

            And yes, I woke up far too early with this idea and couldn't get back
            to sleep. O:p
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
              Woo ha ha ha ha hee hee ho ho ho!
              This has long been our pipe dream, and we have always said that in a perfect world the
              Girl Genius movie would be anime and Miyazaki Sensei would direct. To us, this is even
              more desirable and out-of-reach than "I know, let's get Spielberg!" Sigh.

              (Er, all that cackling up there isn't meant to be rude, I'm just trying to say that I agree
              500%.)

              Actually, in a PERFECT world, it would be an ongoing series with OVAs or stand-alone
              movies to go with. Double-sigh.

              I don't really think I WANT a Hollywood Girl Genius movie (although we could use some
              money, hm.) I want anime! Bring on the adorable zero-g cartoons! Woo-hah!

              --Kaja

              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth McCoy <arcangel@i...> wrote:
              > It occurred to me that there could be worse crazy ideas than finding a
              > translator and talking to Studio Ghibli in Japan.
            • markmohrfield
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
                For a somewhat less wild idea for a somewhat less perfect world; what
                would be the feasibility of translating GG into Japanese and other
                foreign languages?

                Mark Mohrfield
              • Elizabeth McCoy
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
                  At 6:47 PM +0000 4/9/05, studiofoglio wrote:
                  >Woo ha ha ha ha hee hee ho ho ho!
                  >This has long been our pipe dream, [...] (Er, all that cackling up there isn't
                  >meant to be rude, I'm just trying to say that I agree 500%.)

                  *giggle* I understand entirely. It's the, "Hey! Someone else was reading
                  our mind and MAN we wish we could do that" cackle.

                  (What can I say? I have receptive telepathy when I'm half-asleep. Though
                  the only time I had my spouse look at me in a startled manner was when I
                  finally woke myself up enough to demand that he STOP MUMBLING AT ME. He
                  hadn't been talking, he says. Only _thinking_ about asking me something.
                  All I could pick up clearly was my name. Where was I? Oh, right, a meaning-
                  less digression...)

                  >Actually, in a PERFECT world, it would be an ongoing series with OVAs or
                  >stand-alone movies to go with. Double-sigh.

                  I would swoooooon. That would be perfect. Ongoing series. OVAs. AND a
                  stand-alone movie or two. I can wait for the subtitled versions to make
                  it back here!

                  I wonder if anyone would slip "bootleg" Japanese-translated Girl Genius
                  books into Miyazaki's desk... O;>
                  --
                  --Beth, arcangel@... / archangel@... In Nomine Line Editor
                  http://www.io.com/~arcangel/
                • Mary Lowe-Hentges
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 9, 2005
                    Dreaming big is why we read your material, and not just the mass market books.

                    Going for Miyazaki Sensei and getting one of his students at the studio would be a letdown only in the sense of asking for Godiva dark chocolate truffles and getting Godiva milk chocolate instead. It's not waht you asked for, but still pretty tasty.

                    Annechen Loewenstein
                    non scripta non est

                  • gizmo_tinkerer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                      Hi Kaja,

                      I tried to learn CSS by taking apart other peoples pages and it
                      drove me crazy.

                      Then I had to learn it for my video game, and I got lucky.

                      I found this tutorial a while ago and it has a section on styles,
                      external style sheets and CSS:

                      ( http://www.faqs.org/docs/htmltut/character_famsupp_92.html )

                      Then I downloaded the video game manual I was modifying:

                      ( http://www.dragonbane.com/db2man/index.htm )

                      The .ZIP file can be found here:

                      ( http://www.mythological.com/download/db2man.zip )

                      I discovered from the video game manual that CSS is not that hard,
                      and I know hardly any HTML. I am guessing from my other attempts at
                      learning CSS that most people use a program for automating the
                      creation of CSSs. These programs throw in lots of unnecessary
                      code. While the entire CSS for the video game manual is as follows:

                      P {
                      color: #ffffff;
                      font-family: Arial,Helvetica;
                      }

                      TABLE {
                      color: #ffffff;
                      font-family: Arial,Helvetica;
                      }

                      UL {
                      color: #ffffff;
                      font-family: Arial,Helvetica;
                      }

                      Which really is not that hard to understand using the above
                      tutorial. I like the Internet, but sometimes it seems impossible to
                      find references for a beginner instead of someone who has been doing
                      it for 30 years.

                      I doubt you need it, but I found this page:

                      ( http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp )

                      Handy for finding out what color fonts are unreadable on what color
                      backgrounds. I originally found it while looking for this "Only 16
                      color names are supported by the W3C HTML 4.0 standard (aqua, black,
                      blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red,
                      silver, teal, white, and yellow)." I do not like using Hex for
                      colors, but nowhere could I find the 16 color names.

                      -Gizmo

                      "Rationale: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit
                      license traps that prevent open source from being used commercially.
                      We want commercial users to join our community, not feel excluded
                      from it."
                      ( http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php )

                      ++++ Begin Original Message ++++

                      Re: Web site catchup

                      wrote:
                      > The page that you've been seeing uses a lot of tables, yes. It is
                      > also using a lot of PHP "include" tags, so that I can change the
                      > elements common to all pages once and have the change reflected all
                      > over the place. Css might do this better, I don't know, but I do
                      know
                      > that I know nothing much about CSS.

                      > <snip>

                      > --Kaja

                      ++++ End Original Message ++++
                      =
                    • Andrew Barton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                        Kaja:

                        > Woo ha ha ha ha hee hee ho ho ho!
                        > This has long been our pipe dream, and we have always said that in a
                        perfect world the
                        > Girl Genius movie would be anime and Miyazaki Sensei would direct.

                        Diana Wynne Jones achieved this dream for her book 'Howl's Moving Castle'.
                        It's the only case I know of where an author has been completely happy
                        about a film version of their work.

                        Maybe you should ask her how she managed it?

                        Andrew
                      • David M. Hungerford III
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                          At 02:25 PM 4/10/2005, Andrew Barton wrote:

                          >It's the only case I know of where an author has been completely happy
                          >about a film version of their work.

                          Anybody know how William Goldman felt about The Princess Bride?

                          David M. Hungerford III | Many succeed. Many just get to that
                          morden@... | first syllable in the word "succeed."
                          Insert virtual blue ribbon | --P.F. Bruns
                          My opinions are mine and have nothing to do with my employer/ISP.

                        • rewastev
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 10, 2005
                            Yeah, he loved it. Or so I take from his commentary on the DVD.

                            > Anybody know how William Goldman felt about The Princess Bride?
                            >

                            > David M. Hungerford III | Many succeed. Many just get to that
                            > morden@z... | first syllable in the word "succeed."
                            > Insert virtual blue ribbon | --P.F. Bruns
                            > My opinions are mine and have nothing to do with my employer/ISP.
                            >

                            > --
                          • Alice Bentley
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
                              >Kaja:
                              >
                              >> Woo ha ha ha ha hee hee ho ho ho!
                              >> This has long been our pipe dream, and we have always said that in a
                              >perfect world the
                              >> Girl Genius movie would be anime and Miyazaki Sensei would direct.

                              Andrew:

                              >Diana Wynne Jones achieved this dream for her book 'Howl's Moving Castle'.
                              >It's the only case I know of where an author has been completely happy
                              >about a film version of their work.
                              >
                              >Maybe you should ask her how she managed it?

                              I've read that Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli approached her (well, her
                              agent) about obtaining the rights because he had enjoyed the book so
                              much.

                              I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I've heard it's a fine
                              and wonderful movie that's only somewhat like the book.

                              David asked:

                              >Anybody know how William Goldman felt about The Princess Bride?

                              Since he wrote the screenplay and was directly involved in production
                              of the movie, it's no real surprise that he was happy with how it
                              turned out.

                              Alice