[Girl Genius] Re: Webcomics and $$$

  • Dava
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2005
      > On 31 Mar 2005, at 12:58 PM, Dava wrote:
      >I believe that there is a substantial difference in the market for
      > most Marvel lines and for works like Girl Genius. In general, I
      think
      > that Girl Genius appeals less to young males and more to older
      > individuals with a greater proportion of women. I would also argue
      > that these two groups may show marked differences in comic-buying
      and
      > retaining behaviors.

      Eh, most of our Girl Genius customers are male. Phil's women are...
      jiggly. LOL! As for comic retention, it is my experience that most
      people who read comics, male or female, tend to be pack rats and
      almost revel in their clutter.

      I'll resist the urge to post pictures of my computer room to
      illustrate that point. ;)

      > > I also know that in our shop, we sell tons more comics than
      trades,
      > > simply because college kids don't have a lot of money to spend.
      This
      > > is across the board--DC, Marvel, or independant. For instance, we
      > > order about 60 copies of Ultimate Spider-Man, but only about 3
      copies
      > > of the trade paperback. We're lucky to sell 2 of those copies.

      >I think your average issue of Ultimate Spider-Man is much more of a
      > disposable product than smaller-press products like Girl Genius,
      and
      > has likely a very different individual-issue-to-trade-paperback
      sales
      > ratio.

      I just chose Ultimate Spider-Man for simplicity. I could just as
      easily have said we have to order new copies of Johnny the Homicidal
      Maniac every 3 or 4 weeks, but only sell the trade paperback once or
      twice a year.

      If you want to go by sales ratios, Girl Genius fares much better than
      Ultimate Spider-Man. Spidey sells 2 trades vs. 60 issues, while GG
      sells 2 trades vs. 10 issues. College kids just don't save up money
      for trade paperbacks. They ration it out on single issues.

      > Just because you're not selling something
      > doesn't mean it isn't being sold.

      Of course not. I can only tell you what the situation is in a very
      large chunk of Texas. We have the biggest shop in our area, and we
      own one of the largest shops in Austin. I think we keep our fingers
      on the market's pulse a lot better than Amazon.

      Dava
    • gizmo_tinkerer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Dava,

        I think this will work.

        My work, a county school system, loves the trade paperbacks. Very few
        of the librarians buy the individual issues.

        I own all of _GrimJack_ in monthly issues. I am also a student (I will
        finish my BS one day...). I cannot afford the _GrimJack_ trade
        paperbacks. I want them, but I already own all but 7 pages.

        I buy one copy of GG, my wife buys one copy of GG, the FLCS buys less
        than ten, all by fan requests. Our family buys one GG soft cover trade
        paper.

        Also Ultimate Spider-Man comes out once per month, GG comes out less
        frequently.

        The thing I will miss most is buying a third copy of the quarterly to
        cut up for really cool art pages.

        Things I will *not* miss is leaving work early to get our copies so I
        can find out what the *heck* this group is talking about. Don't even
        get me started on the UPS/ rock slide issue.

        -Gizmo

        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dava" <dizzydava@a...> wrote:

        > For instance, we
        > order about 60 copies of Ultimate Spider-Man, but only about 3 copies
        > of the trade paperback. We're lucky to sell 2 of those copies. The
        > industry still relies on single issues, at this point.

        > Dava
      • pmaclanderson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2005
          I will miss the tchotchkes and filler in the comics; but if the
          Foglios feel inspired to do them, I suppose they can add links to
          girlgeniusonline when it happens.

          But I cannot complain of a decision which will give them an incentive
          to actually do three pages a week.

          Some people can. But we are definitely - even if the Foglios were to
          change their minds completely - not going to see issue #14 this
          month. Let us hold off this discussion until May 1 or so, by which
          time we can see how the on-line system actually works.

          (and we may still be able to persuade the Foglios, eventually, to
          issue the web-strips as comics as well as graphic novels; since the
          art will already exist.)

          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth McCoy <arcangel@i...>
          wrote:
          > At 1:15 PM -0600 3/31/05, Pete Hartman wrote:
          > >[...] it sounds to
          > >me like Studio Foglio has decided that the NET is insufficient to
          > >justify the magnitude of the headaches and complications.
          >
          > And/or that Kaja's time could be more productively spent in other
          ways.
          > I.e., she could be "paid" X+n instead of just X, in terms of money
          > being brought in for time spent.
          >
          > >Personally, I will miss the "comic book" versions. I liked them a
          > >lot, and in a perfect world, I'd like to see them continue.
          >
          > Yah. Half a comic is a great amount to read for a bedtime story. O:>
          >
          > It is, indeed, sad that they're going to have to leave the comics
          stores,

          > Clearly, they're not in as dire straits as I. O:> Still, I can see
          how
          > the decisions get made.
          > --
          > --Beth, arcangel@i... / archangel@s... In Nomine Line Editor

          > ("We put the fun in funatic!" *pause* "Right, back to the spelling
          board.")

          <sigh, phonetically>
        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
            Sorry to bug you at home, this is the Captain Britain trade I was
            talking about. Came out in 2002, supposedly out of print but I could
            swear they're going to redo it. Alan Moore & Alan Davis.

          • Dava
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2005
              LOL! Daniel, this is what you get for reading the forum via email. ;)

              Dava

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2005
                *mental note: click compose instead of reply*